PDA

View Full Version : JFF selling autographs

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
You seem like exactly what is at TexAgs

1) Cite lack of evidence against him.
2) When bolstering evidence comes out, move the goalposts and claim need for smoking gun evidence against him.
3) Misdirect attention to others potentially or likely breaking the rule.
4) Argue that the rule is stupid anyways.
5) Blame media outlets and etc

I guess you haven't read enough of the posts there because there are a sh*t ton of Aggies that want to be done with him.

And I think your characterization of me is inaccurate. We all are still waiting for evidence that money exchanged hands. No one is questioning that he signed a boat load of stuff for a broker. Lots of players are. All we have so far is the word of a broker.

Farmersfan
08-07-2013, 02:30 PM
And the bigger picture of the hypocrisy of the NCAA profiting off players images and likeness and then punishing players for doing the same.

The name Johnny Manziel carries a certain amount of value right now. Why? Because he was allowed to present his skills and talents in a NCAA controlled event. Johnny Manziel did not create college football or the Hiesman trophy. College football and the Hiesman trophy created the marketable name of Johnny Manziel. NOBODY knew who this bozo was until he played football in the NCAA. And say what you want but Manziel has been paid. He is being given a college education that is valued at over 60K. I'm thinking if you added in all the other perks that Johnny will enjoy in his life because of his association with the TA&M name and the NCAA it will prove out to be far, far, far more valuable than any of us think. You also have to understand that very few athletic programs in the NCAA are profitable even now. Football programs might generate profits but in most cases those profits are used to support all the other athletic programs. Are you advocating that all sports programs in the NCAA that don't earn a profit should be eliminated so that the football programs can share the profit with the players?

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 02:34 PM
The name Johnny Manziel carries a certain amount of value right now. Why? Because he was allowed to present his skills and talents in a NCAA controlled event. Johnny Manziel did not create college football or the Hiesman trophy. College football and the Hiesman trophy created the marketable name of Johnny Manziel. NOBODY knew who this bozo was until he played football in the NCAA. And say what you want but Manziel has been paid. He is being given a college education that is valued at over 60K. I'm thinking if you added in all the other perks that Johnny will enjoy in his life because of his association with the TA&M name and the NCAA it will prove out to be far, far, far more valuable than any of us think. You also have to understand that very few athletic programs in the NCAA are profitable even now. Football programs might generate profits but in most cases those profits are used to support all the other athletic programs. Are you advocating that all sports programs in the NCAA that don't earn a profit should be eliminated so that the football programs can share the profit with the players?

I'm not saying JFF invented football. I'm talking about the much bigger picture.

You are welcome to your opinion on this but public opinion is seriously trending against you and it certainly is looking like the courts are leaning that direction also. There is some serious anti-trust issues going on here.

OldBison75
08-07-2013, 02:35 PM
The amount of actual proof that has come out so far is equivalent to looking at OT's icon and determining that there has been no enhancements to the anatomy of the girl portrayed--or- that the material used to contain those things is not glued to them to prevent a slip!!!

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Bilas has been hammering on this for a couple of days now. Amazing stuff.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1729574-espns-jay-bilas-trolled-ncaa-into-suspending-their-shopping-cart-search-option

Txbroadcaster
08-07-2013, 02:38 PM
I think if I have to choose between believing in the integrity of sumlin, hyman and the A&M institution or Nate and Johnny's dad, I'll stick w the former.

Johnny's dad strikes me as a drama queen. I would never say the things about my son that he did in that article. And let's not forget, we have heard nothing from Johnny. Not saying the article doesn't have valid points, but Johnny's dad and Nate do not come across as the most trust worthy folks

so then you trust when A&M tried to work with Manziel the family and him said no?....cause I do

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 03:00 PM
so then you trust when A&M tried to work with Manziel the family and him said no?....cause I do

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/23015877/johnny-football-has-spit-on-all-the-help-texas-am-offered-him

I think if this all ends up being true, then about 99.9% of the blame lies with Johnny and his family. I tend to agree with the article that A&M appears to have tried their best to help him navigate this.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 03:04 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/dennis-dodd/23015877/johnny-football-has-spit-on-all-the-help-texas-am-offered-him

I think if this all ends up being true, then about 99.9% of the blame lies with Johnny and his family. I tend to agree with the article that A&M appears to have tried their best to help him navigate this.

Yes, the Aggie honor code!

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 03:05 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/23055431/did-rift-with-memorabilia-dealers-fuel-manziel-controversy

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 03:10 PM
Yes, the Aggie honor code!

It's very clear you have a deep seeded bias

More craziness.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/blog/bruce-feldman/23055431/did-rift-with-memorabilia-dealers-fuel-manziel-controversy

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 03:21 PM
http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/9547660/braxton-miller-jadeveon-clowney-autographs-okd-ohio-state-south-carolina

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/college-football/story/_/id/9545634/usc-trojans-clear-marqise-lee-profiting-autographs

Farmersfan
08-07-2013, 03:24 PM
I'm not saying JFF invented football. I'm talking about the much bigger picture.

You are welcome to your opinion on this but public opinion is seriously trending against you and it certainly is looking like the courts are leaning that direction also. There is some serious anti-trust issues going on here.

Yea I get that Mac! I don't disagree that it sucks this is going on. I would love for the college athletes to share in the profits of the universities but just like all the hype during Obama's campaign i think I'm smart enough to see that changing it will do far more harm than good. but you have some good points.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 03:41 PM
Yea I get that Mac! I don't disagree that it sucks this is going on. I would love for the college athletes to share in the profits of the universities but just like all the hype during Obama's campaign i think I'm smart enough to see that changing it will do far more harm than good. but you have some good points.

No doubt that it's going to create many other problems some seen and some unseen.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 03:59 PM
http://www.farkriffic.com/farks/drunkbabymanziel_archiepassingout.jpg

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 04:10 PM
No doubt that it's going to create many other problems some seen and some unseen.

Never gonna happen.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 04:12 PM
You seem like exactly what is at TexAgs

1) Cite lack of evidence against him.
2) When bolstering evidence comes out, move the goalposts and claim need for smoking gun evidence against him.
3) Misdirect attention to others potentially or likely breaking the rule.
4) Argue that the rule is stupid anyways.
5) Blame media outlets and etc

You hit the nail on the head , dead on.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 04:14 PM

All good points, agree 100%.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 04:27 PM
I know if you play football in college, you do not have time to work. You workout, eat , go to meeting , homework and get a little sleep. Who the hell is going to want to work on top of that schedule, they can work some during the summer however you still have to workout during the summer. Your getting a free education for the work you put in during football, that should be plenty if you apply yourself in class and get a degree.

You can't work period. Not even in the summer

I know many of you keep harping on this free education which certainly has value, but I think any reasonable person can see that a young man that comes from humble means will still struggle with money.

Michael Irvin has said on numerous occasions that while he was a superstar football player at Miami, he didn't have money to go buy a pizza.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Never gonna happen.

Which part? What exactly do you think is never going to happen?

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 04:38 PM
You can't work period. Not even in the summer

I know many of you keep harping on this free education which certainly has value, but I think any reasonable person can see that a young man that comes from humble means will still struggle with money.

Michael Irvin has said on numerous occasions that while he was a superstar football player at Miami, he didn't have money to go buy a pizza.

Please fill me in what you mean they cannot work during the summer, you saying legally they cannot work or no time.

BEAST
08-07-2013, 04:43 PM
Please fill me in what you mean they cannot work during the summer, you saying legally they cannot work or no time.

Just 1 example.......

Lets say JF was working as a waitor at one of the local BCS establishments. Some huge fan of his gives him an insane tip. That becomes trouble real easy.

BEAST

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 04:48 PM
Just 1 example.......

Lets say JF was working as a waitor at one of the local BCS establishments. Some huge fan of his gives him an insane tip. That becomes trouble real easy.

BEAST

That is total BS , my son will be working ever summer and he is on a full ride. I know he is not Johnny Football but saying you cannot work during the summer is just BS, plain simple.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 04:55 PM

In the past, you could not have a job period.

There has been a recent change that scholarship athletes can now 'earn' $2000 a year above the value of their scholarship. That's not even $200 a month, so it wasn't much of change. The purpose, of course, is to discourage athletes from getting a job at the car dealership of an alum and getting paid for nothing, except playing. But the problem is that, while well meaning, it puts the athlete at a disadvantage.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 04:58 PM
That is total BS , my son will be working ever summer and he is on a full ride. I know he is not Johnny Football but saying you cannot work during the summer is just BS, plain simple.

Stanford disagrees with you.

http://www.stanford.edu/~islander/jobrules.html

And I have an immediate family member that was a full ride D1 athlete so m pretty familiar with it.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Which part? What exactly do you think is never going to happen?

Paying college athletes, believe it when I see it. To many issues to deal with deal.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 05:05 PM
http://larrybrownsports.com/college-football/johnny-manziel-parents-selling-home-texas-am-campus/199737

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 05:15 PM
In the past, you could not have a job period.

There has been a recent change that scholarship athletes can now 'earn' $2000 a year above the value of their scholarship. That's not even $200 a month, so it wasn't much of change. The purpose, of course, is to discourage athletes from getting a job at the car dealership of an alum and getting paid for nothing, except playing. But the problem is that, while well meaning, it puts the athlete at a disadvantage.

There is more then one way to skin a cat , if you know what I mean. Are you going to admit you were wrong when you said athletes cannot work while on scholarship, you proved yourself wrong.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 05:33 PM
I love Drew Brees comment about Johnny Football, When you win the Hesiman weather you like it or not you become a role model . Words from a true role model , amazing that some on this board think otherwise. I am pretty sure he does not think a Hesiman winner should act like a normal college student , drinking and partying out in public and still a minor.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 06:00 PM
There is more then one way to skin a cat , if you know what I mean. Are you going to admit you were wrong when you said athletes cannot work while on scholarship, you proved yourself wrong.

Prior to 2011, it was very much true. Now, they can earn $2000 per year. That's a whole $166 per month. That's next to nothing.

Are you really going to be so obtuse that you fail to see the point here?

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 06:30 PM
Are you ever going to admit you are ever wrong , you seem to always change the subject when that happens.

Saggy Aggie
08-07-2013, 07:03 PM
I don't have time to read the posts or articles... But is there any evidence he took money? Lol

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 07:21 PM
Are you ever going to admit you are ever wrong , you seem to always change the subject when that happens.

Wrong about what? Even beast told you what's up. Did you even read what I linked?

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 07:41 PM
Let me ask two simple question of hook and old tiger.

Do you have an issue with ncaa and ea sports making millions of dollars off video games using players likeness and basically mimicking the player and their exact movements and mannerisms?

Do you not see at least a little hypocrisy in the ncaa shop website selling #2 jersey's and then telling JFF he can't sell his autograph?

Tricky
08-07-2013, 08:08 PM
Make no mistake. Had the exact same thing happened to a kid from UT, both of them would be defending him...period. The epitome of hypocrisy. But that is usually what you encounter with walhorns like those 2.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 08:12 PM

Do you have an issue with ncaa and ea sports making millions of dollars off video games using players likeness and basically mimicking the player and their exact movements and mannerisms?

Do you not see at least a little hypocrisy in the ncaa shop website selling #2 jersey's and then telling JFF he can't sell his autograph?

All BS aside my answer is no, most of the players that they are making money off of while in college or Pro will make their own money when the time is right. As stated before college athletes that are on scholarship are basically getting paid to go to school, a free or reduced cost of education that most parent are having to pay out of their pocket. I do not know where some have stated about 60K for college when actually it is much more at least 100K and more for 4 to 5 years, after all said and done. That sounds like a pretty decent pay if you ask me, I guess some need to be more greedy.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 08:13 PM
Make no mistake. Had the exact same thing happened to a kid from UT, both of them would be defending him...period. The epitome of hypocrisy. But that is usually what you encounter with walhorns like those 2.

That funny, walhorns like you.

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 08:16 PM
Wrong about what? Even beast told you what's up. Did you even read what I linked?

Read thread #63 , then ask the same question.

BwdLion73
08-07-2013, 08:31 PM
I just wish there was a way that a moderator could merge these two threads...:1popcorn:

Saggy Aggie
08-07-2013, 08:36 PM
Can anyone provide me with a some evidence that Johnny accepted money? Lol that's all I'm asking for

Famous guy signed autographs... No evidence of accepting money... Sounds newsworthy...

hookandladder
08-07-2013, 08:47 PM
Can anyone provide me with a some evidence that Johnny accepted money? Lol that's all I'm asking for

Famous guy signed autographs... No evidence of accepting money... Sounds newsworthy...

Pretty sure at this time you know the answer to your question, to be honest with you it really does not matter to me if he did or not. My main beef with him is the way he is acting after winning the Hesiman, like it or not there is certain honor and responsibility after winning and it is not the way he is carrying on. Call me old fashion or whatever, like I said before Drew Brees pretty much summed it up. The kid is out of control, even his dad has admitted it.

Saggy Aggie
08-07-2013, 08:51 PM
Pretty sure at this time you know the answer to your question, to be honest with you it really does not matter to me if he did or not. My main beef with him is the way he is acting after winning the Hesiman, like it or not there is certain honor and responsibility after winning and it is not the way he is carrying on. Call me old fashion or whatever, like I said before Drew Brees pretty much summed it up. The kid is out of control, even his dad has admitted it.

Do you have any proof he accepted money? Lol

Manso/V8
08-07-2013, 09:34 PM
Prior to 2011, it was very much true. Now, they can earn $2000 per year. That's a whole $166 per month. That's next to nothing.

That rule applies to D1 athletes on full or partial scholarship and only applies to while school is in session.
The $2,000 limit doesn't apply to work during vacation periods.

I am not sure how it applies to D2 and NCAA JUCO athletes.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 10:05 PM
That rule applies to D1 athletes on full or partial scholarship and only applies to while school is in session.
The $2,000 limit doesn't apply to work during vacation periods.

I am not sure how it applies to D2 and NCAA JUCO athletes.

Thats not what the stanford article says. It says annual.

Manso/V8
08-07-2013, 10:13 PM

I think it says academic year, and there is also a section that says the $2,000 limit doesn't apply to vacation periods.

For D1, especially D1FBS football players, there certainly isn't time to work during the fall semester, and most of the spring semester.
The time off at Christmas and summer before "voluntary" camps start is short.

Athletes in some other sports may have more time to work.

Macarthur
08-07-2013, 10:28 PM
For D1, especially D1FBS football players, there certainly isn't time to work during the fall semester, and most of the spring semester.
The time off at Christmas and summer before "voluntary" camps start is short.

Very true.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I don't have time to read the posts or articles... But is there any evidence he took money? Lol
That doesn't matter under the new ncaa rules that have been posted.

I love Drew Brees comment about Johnny Football, When you win the Hesiman weather you like it or not you become a role model . Words from a true role model , amazing that some on this board think otherwise. I am pretty sure he does not think a Hesiman winner should act like a normal college student , drinking and partying out in public and still a minor.

Funny story, Drew Brees mom wanted to use his name for her campaign in Westlake but he refused to let her because they never got along.

Bilas has been hammering on this for a couple of days now. Amazing stuff.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1729574-espns-jay-bilas-trolled-ncaa-into-suspending-their-shopping-cart-search-option

Bilas has always been pro-paying of collegiate athletes so this just is fueling his agenda.

The amount of actual proof that has come out so far is equivalent to looking at OT's icon and determining that there has been no enhancements to the anatomy of the girl portrayed--or- that the material used to contain those things is not glued to them to prevent a slip!!!

There hasn't been any enhancements to her breast, they are natural.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 11:17 PM

1) No I don't have an issue of it and the only reason this law suit is even happening is because of greed on the players half. I like how the NCAA is considered greedy because of this but without the NCAA and collegiate sports vast majority of these players wouldn't have an opportunity to even get into the institution they get into. I read somewhere or heard, can't recall, that less than %50 of these athletes would even qualify for the school they get into without sports.

2) Of course the NCAA has to make money.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Answers/Nine+points+to+consider_one

Here is a pie chart from 2011-2012
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/95e6ad004e8b389fbe65fe8fccf39c15/130213revenue.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=95e6ad004e8b389fbe65fe8fccf39c15

Of 871.6 million dollars generated only 1% came from sales and services.

From the FAQ on NCAA website

How can the NCAA make so much money and be considered nonprofit?

The NCAA’s designation as a nonprofit association is based on how it uses money and not on how much revenue is generated. All but 4 percent of NCAA revenue is either returned directly to member conferences and institutions or used to support championships and programs that benefit student-athletes.

Old Tiger
08-07-2013, 11:32 PM
Oh and here is an ESPN article regarding the issue...

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/story/_/id/6756472/following-ncaa-money

CNBC Article.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/39099125

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2013, 04:44 AM
Stanford disagrees with you.

http://www.stanford.edu/~islander/jobrules.html

And I have an immediate family member that was a full ride D1 athlete so m pretty familiar with it.
When did this "new" rule go into effect? I read the 2013-14 rule book regarding student-athlete employment and there's no mention of a $2000 limit. (See page 67) http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf Are either of these folks mentioned still at Stanford? They're not listed on athletic staff. I did find mention of $2000.00 when researching the changes to the rules that were effective as of last Thursday, but only in relation to the plan to come up with a replacement for the $2k miscellaneous expense allowance that was previously rescinded. http://www.bsk.com/media-center/2594-collegiate-sports-division-i-board-reviews-actions-working-group-proposals- (See Other Actions)

Old Tiger
08-08-2013, 04:45 AM
When did this "new" rule go into effect? I read the 2013-14 rule book regarding student-athlete employment and there's no mention of a $2000 limit. (See page 67) http://www.ncaapublications.com/productdownloads/D114.pdf Are either of these folks mentioned still at Stanford? They're not listed on athletic staff. I did find mention of $2000.00 when researching the changes to the rules that were effective as of last Thursday, but only in relation to the plan to come up with a replacement for the $2k miscellaneous expense allowance that was previously rescinded. http://www.bsk.com/media-center/2594-collegiate-sports-division-i-board-reviews-actions-working-group-proposals- (See Other Actions)

He'll just change the subject...

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2013, 05:21 AM
Wow that last sentence. How is that player exploiting the school? Even if manziel could go pro this season. A&M still comes out on top. As far as the free education fine, but they should not be stopped from making their own money away from the school. As a scholarship (academic) student if I got broke and hungry I could work, but these kids can't? The NCAA is making a ton of money off their backs. They're not prevented from making money away from the school. They are allowed to be paid for work they performed and at a rate that is commensurate with the going rate for a similar job in that area. They are prevented from being compensated for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following that he or she has obtained because of their ability. As far as student-athletes "exploiting" the colleges as a means to go pro, I'm not talking about Manziel per se. Look at the number of basketball players that "use" a college for 1 season & leave to go pro because of the NBA requirement. Do you think they would not go pro immediately after HS if the requirement wasn't in place? Exploitation - utilizing another person or group for selfish purposes. :thinking:

Old Tiger
08-08-2013, 05:27 AM
They're not prevented from making money away from the school. They are allowed to be paid for work they performed and at a rate that is commensurate with the going rate for a similar job in that area. They are prevented from being compensated for value or utility that the student-athlete may have for the employer because of the publicity, reputation, fame or personal following that he or she has obtained because of their ability. As far as student-athletes "exploiting" the colleges as a means to go pro, I'm not talking about Manziel per se. Look at the number of basketball players that "use" a college for 1 season & leave to go pro because of the NBA requirement. Do you think they would not go pro immediately after HS if the requirement wasn't in place? Exploitation - utilizing another person or group for selfish purposes. :thinking:

So you are saying it is the NBA and NFL fault that these kids have to go to college prior to becoming a professional where they can be paid individually? How dare you!

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2013, 05:33 AM
So you are saying it is the NBA and NFL fault that these kids have to go to college prior to becoming a professional where they can be paid individually? How dare you!
LOL! :doh:

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 06:25 AM

Mac , wrong again and you know about this issue because you had a D-1 athlete in your family. Looks like he got some bad info. and you bad research.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 06:27 AM
So can anyone prove to me that Johnny did anything wrong?

Old Tiger
08-08-2013, 06:28 AM
So can anyone prove to me that Johnny did anything wrong?

Read the thread this weekend on your days off. No one likes a lazy worker! There doesn't have to be proof these days. If Uncle Nate acted as an agent to these brokers then that is against NCAA rules that have changed since the Cam fiasco.

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 06:32 AM
Do you have any proof he accepted money? Lol

Did I say I had proof or even mention that he accepted money, read my post. Now if you are asking me if I think he accepted money , my answer would be hell yes . Him or old Uncle Nate, his paid Ass.. Just what I think from everything that has been reported, mainly from what was reported in the cell phone video and do not try to say that did not happen. ESPN is not that stupid to report what was said by Manziel and it not be true, you can think that but that would be pure ignorance on your part. Only Manziel could be that stupid, look what he has done already.

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 06:39 AM

Poor Mac , busted again. Wrong, Wrong. Maybe that is just for Stanford athletes, It's time to change the suject.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 06:45 AM
Read the thread this weekend on your days off. No one likes a lazy worker! There doesn't have to be proof these days. If Uncle Nate acted as an agent to these brokers then that is against NCAA rules that have changed since the Cam fiasco.

Can anyone prove uncle Nate acted as an agent?

Old Tiger
08-08-2013, 06:52 AM
Can anyone prove uncle Nate acted as an agent?

Yes it was reported by 3 different brokers that Nate solicited them for money. Doesn't matter if it was with or without Johnny's knowledge.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 07:54 AM
Did I say I had proof or even mention that he accepted money, read my post. Now if you are asking me if I think he accepted money , my answer would be hell yes . Him or old Uncle Nate, his paid Ass.. Just what I think from everything that has been reported, mainly from what was reported in the cell phone video and do not try to say that did not happen. ESPN is not that stupid to report what was said by Manziel and it not be true, you can think that but that would be pure ignorance on your part. Only Manziel could be that stupid, look what he has done already.

Yeah, I never said you had proof... Which is why I was asking. I'm confused why there's 2 threads with hundreds of posts if no one can provide any proof? Why do you assume he's guilty if no one can provide evidence?

I'm just asking for something more than y'all's expert opinions

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 07:55 AM
Yes it was reported by 3 different brokers that Nate solicited them for money. Doesn't matter if it was with or without Johnny's knowledge.

How can Johnny be responsible for someone else's actions?

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I never said you had proof... Which is why I was asking. I'm confused why there's 2 threads with hundreds of posts if no one can provide any proof? Why do you assume he's guilty if no one can provide evidence?

I'm just asking for something more than y'all's expert opinions

So Johnny is in the same shoes as ARod and the other 13 MLB players , only ARod is going to fight because he feels like Braun that his lawyers can find a loop hole to get out of it. No concrete evidents to prove 100% other then what others are saying, do you think the video that has Manziel signing autographs and telling the dealer if he tells anyone he is there signing autographs he will not deal with him anymore is fake. I know you and I have not seen this video however do you think ESPN would be that stupid to report something that is not true, you cannot beleive that can you.

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 08:47 AM
How can Johnny be responsible for someone else's actions?

Uncle Nate is representing Johnny Football , pretty simple. Uncle Nate is third party , they do not want Uncle Nate's autograph.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 08:50 AM

I'm not sure when this new rule went into effect. I did see something when I did a quick search about the $2000 thing being rescinded. I do not believe the rule had taken effect in 2010 when my family member graduated.

Hook, I'm going to make your day. I was wrong it appears the new rule does allow them to work.

Here's the funny thing. You knew nothing about the subject and just yelled out BS. You had no idea that prior to the new rule that athletes couldn't work. So it somehow seems really hollow for you to crow about being right about something you knew nothing about to begin with.

And the reality is that after school, study, practice and meetings there wouldn't be enough hours in the day for a job unless they decided to not sleep.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 08:54 AM
1) No I don't have an issue of it and the only reason this law suit is even happening is because of greed on the players half. I like how the NCAA is considered greedy because of this but without the NCAA and collegiate sports vast majority of these players wouldn't have an opportunity to even get into the institution they get into. I read somewhere or heard, can't recall, that less than %50 of these athletes would even qualify for the school they get into without sports.

So you're saying greed on the players part is not good but greed by the NCAA is okay?

Let me ask this.

Lets say someone you knew became a tv producer and produced a new tv show that the main character was called old tiger. That character looked exactly like you and talked exactly like you. If that show became a huge hit and everyone, except you, was making tons of money off the show, you would have no issue what so ever?

So we agree with the hypocrisy of the NCAA.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 09:24 AM
So Johnny is in the same shoes as ARod and the other 13 MLB players , only ARod is going to fight because he feels like Braun that his lawyers can find a loop hole to get out of it. No concrete evidents to prove 100% other then what others are saying, do you think the video that has Manziel signing autographs and telling the dealer if he tells anyone he is there signing autographs he will not deal with him anymore is fake. I know you and I have not seen this video however do you think ESPN would be that stupid to report something that is not true, you cannot beleive that can you.

I'm just saying.... You're not guilty without evidence.

You can guess and dream all you want, but come across with something that can't be denied and then I'll listen.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Uncle Nate is representing Johnny Football , pretty simple. Uncle Nate is third party , they do not want Uncle Nate's autograph.

Yeah and if uncle Nate is profiting off Johnny without Johnny even knowing, much less OKing it, then I don't understand how that could be Johnny's fault? Sounds like Nate could get in trouble...? Maybe? If they had proof.....

You don't get in trouble for other ppls actions unless they can prove you're involved somehow. Key word there being PROVE

Old Tiger
08-08-2013, 09:41 AM
So you're saying greed on the players part is not good but greed by the NCAA is okay?

Let me ask this.

Lets say someone you knew became a tv producer and produced a new tv show that the main character was called old tiger. That character looked exactly like you and talked exactly like you. If that show became a huge hit and everyone, except you, was making tons of money off the show, you would have no issue what so ever?

So we agree with the hypocrisy of the NCAA.
I never said it was hypocritical and you left out all the stats and facts I posted with that statement.

I'd be thrilled if someone made a TV show out of me. As long as it wasn't a Honey Boo Boo style.

Old Tiger
08-08-2013, 09:42 AM
Yeah and if uncle Nate is profiting off Johnny without Johnny even knowing, much less OKing it, then I don't understand how that could be Johnny's fault? Sounds like Nate could get in trouble...? Maybe? If they had proof.....

You don't get in trouble for other ppls actions unless they can prove you're involved somehow. Key word there being PROVENate is hired by the manziels to be johnny's assistant/manager.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 09:43 AM
I never said it was hypocritical and you left out all the stats and facts I posted with that statement.

I'd be thrilled if someone made a TV show out of me. As long as it wasn't a Honey Boo Boo style.

So a show about you making tons of money and you get nothing doesn't bother you?

Would you consider yourself conservative when it comes to politics?

Old Tiger
08-08-2013, 09:45 AM
So a show about you making tons of money and you get nothing doesn't bother you?

I don't get involved with politics.

There is no way I could ever prove that was me just by mannerisms and etc.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't get involved with politics.

Me either. I'm asking about you philosophy. Would you consider yourself a conservative, liberal or centrist?

There is no way I could ever prove that was me just by mannerisms and etc.

Come on. They are using your likeness and your name! I get the feeling you are avoiding answering the question in a genuine manner.

. I really would encourage you to read about the Keller/obannon case. The initial court ruling has already ruled in their favor.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 09:53 AM
And the hypocrisy just keeps on coming.

http://www.diehardsport.com/2013/08/08/ncaa-shop-selling-autographed-reggie-bush-photo-vacated-game/#

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 10:00 AM

Mac, give it up. Not everyone is as money hungry as you, money does not buy complete happiness. The NCAA and you need to go fight it out or kiss and make up.

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 10:01 AM
Nate is hired by the manziels to be johnny's assistant/manager.

OT beat me to it again, Is this news to you Saggy.

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 10:08 AM
I'm not sure when this new rule went into effect. I did see something when I did a quick search about the $2000 thing being rescinded. I do not believe the rule had taken effect in 2010 when my family member graduated.

Hook, I'm going to make your day. I was wrong it appears the new rule does allow them to work.

Here's the funny thing. You knew nothing about the subject and just yelled out BS. You had no idea that prior to the new rule that athletes couldn't work. So it somehow seems really hollow for you to crow about being right about something you knew nothing about to begin with.

And the reality is that after school, study, practice and meetings there wouldn't be enough hours in the day for a job unless they decided to not sleep.

When I was on scholarship during my playing days at SWT I worked and never had a problem making money during offseason, so no I did not even think nor was I told that a scholarship athlete could not work during offseason and summer so why would I check on something that was not an issue. You on the other hand made the comment that scholarship athletes could not work even during the summer , which is not correct and you even reserached it and still was wrong because you only read what you wanted to beleive. Just admitt being wrong with no excure and move on or in your case change the suject.

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 10:25 AM

The 2000.00 they are allowed to earn on a job is not the only money they are given. Check this list of benefits that a student athlete is given. Pay attention to the Miscellaneous Expense Allowance portion:

"Allow each school to give student-athletes up to $2,000 of additional aid." Between this and the 2000.00 they are allowed to earn we are now looking at about 400.00 a month in free money. And don't be fooled into thinking this is all there is. 90% of these student athletes still get some money from home. The problem arises when these kids aren't able to keep themselves supplied in new Air Jordans, Iphones and the latest Abercrombie and Fitch...........

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Finances/Finances+Student+Athlete+Benefits

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 10:26 AM
[QUOTE=Old Tiger;1752417[/QUOTE]

Old Tiger! I just have to know. What is she saying in your signature?

ccmom
08-08-2013, 10:32 AM

I've wanted to ask that same question. To me it looks like she is saying "That's crap"...but I figured not many other people on this board actually looked at her mouth. :)

Bullaholic
08-08-2013, 10:34 AM

"Gig em"....:D

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 10:54 AM
The 2000.00 they are allowed to earn on a job is not the only money they are given. Check this list of benefits that a student athlete is given. Pay attention to the Miscellaneous Expense Allowance portion:

"Allow each school to give student-athletes up to $2,000 of additional aid." Between this and the 2000.00 they are allowed to earn we are now looking at about 400.00 a month in free money. And don't be fooled into thinking this is all there is. 90% of these student athletes still get some money from home. The problem arises when these kids aren't able to keep themselves supplied in new Air Jordans, Iphones and the latest Abercrombie and Fitch...........

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Finances/Finances+Student+Athlete+Benefits

I know of a student athlete right now that goes to college in another State that is on a full ride and also receives $2,000 a month for misc. items, that may be where the $2,000 is allowed in the rules. No bitchin here happy for them.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 10:58 AM
When I was on scholarship during my playing days at SWT I worked and never had a problem making money during offseason, so no I did not even think nor was I told that a scholarship athlete could not work during offseason and summer so why would I check on something that was not an issue. You on the other hand made the comment that scholarship athletes could not work even during the summer , which is not correct and you even reserached it and still was wrong because you only read what you wanted to beleive. Just admitt being wrong with no excure and move on or in your case change the suject.

I did admit that I was wrong based on the recent rule changes. If you can claim ignorance because its been so long since you were in school, it's certainly okay for me to beg forgiveness for my error because the new rule is less than 3 years old.

And you still had no idea that they could not work during the school year prior to recent changes, yet felt you needed to chime in with a BS!

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 10:59 AM
Mac, give it up. Not everyone is as money hungry as you, money does not buy complete happiness. The NCAA and you need to go fight it out or kiss and make up.

This is not about money hungry. This is about right or wrong. Why is it that the courts have ruled in favor of this suit?

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 11:15 AM
I did admit that I was wrong based on the recent rule changes. If you can claim ignorance because its been so long since you were in school, it's certainly okay for me to beg forgiveness for my error because the new rule is less than 3 years old.

And you still had no idea that they could not work during the school year prior to recent changes, yet felt you needed to chime in with a BS!

You killing me , looks like you had no idea either till you looked it up and then you were still wrong. Claim ignorance , even with the new rule you were still able to work and make money.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 11:17 AM
I thought this was interesting because the article is from march.

http://www.gosanangelo.com/news/2013/mar/13/johnny-manziel-signed-items-collectors-beware/

Old tiger, it also seems A&M compliance office made a statement just as the other schools have that you referenced. I think the take away, for me, is that regardless of whether he school says there's nothing there or not doesn't affect any NCAA investigation.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 11:21 AM
You killing me , looks like you had no idea either till you looked it up and then you were still wrong.

Says the guy who doesn't understand any of the rules, and hasnt made any attempt to educate yourself. You just like to sit back and throw barbs at people. You have added nothing to this thread but angst and smugness. You seem to not like being called a tool?

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 11:21 AM

What in the world made you even notice her mouth was moving!? I had to scroll back up to make sure you weren't lying.

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 11:24 AM
This is not about money hungry. This is about right or wrong. Why is it that the courts have ruled in favor of this suit?

It is right now , it is only wrong in your eyes and a few others. The student -athlete is already getting paid plenty from his or her scholarship, that's the problem these days that kids want more and more for doing less. Be happy with what you are receiving from your school and quit begging for more, both sides are profitting. Ask your mom or day or whoever paid for your education if they would be happy for you to receive a full ride on your college education, I sure the hell am very happy and I do not feel like the NCAA owes me **** even if my son went on to win the Hesiman which is slim and none.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 11:35 AM
Nate is hired by the manziels to be johnny's assistant/manager.

I understand that, but that doesn't mean Johnny is involved in all of Nates decisions. It is very possible that Nate could have gone behind Johnny's back trying to make extra money.... Ya know... If you had proof that ANY money changed hands...

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 11:36 AM
http://www.jwtns.net/2013/08/johnny-manziel-autograph-scandal.html?m=1

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 11:36 AM
It is right now , it is only wrong in your eyes and a few others. The student -athlete is already getting paid plenty from his or her scholarship, that's the problem these days that kids want more and more for doing less. Be happy with what you are receiving from your school and quit begging for more, both sides are profitting. Ask your mom or day or whoever paid for your education if they would be happy for you to receive a full ride on your college education, I sure the hell am very happy and I do not feel like the NCAA owes me **** even if my son went on to win the Hesiman which is slim and none.

It's a lot more than a few others.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 11:39 AM
http://www.jwtns.net/2013/08/johnny-manziel-autograph-scandal.html?m=1

Interesting take.

Eagle 1
08-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Wow 23 pages about a witch hunt.
This country really needs a hero.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 12:12 PM
It's a lot more than a few others.

And there are a lot of idiots in this world.

College athletes do not need to be compensated financially.

What about the National Merit Scholars who go to your school? Should they be paid too? The university reports how many National Merit Scholars chose to come to their school, so I'm sure in some way or another they profit off of that.

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 12:34 PM
And there are a lot of idiots in this world.

College athletes do not need to be compensated financially.

What about the National Merit Scholars who go to your school? Should they be paid too? The university reports how many National Merit Scholars chose to come to their school, so I'm sure in some way or another they profit off of that.

No Mac could never be an idiot, he is so wise. Anyone who disagrees with him is ignorant, yes Mac you may be more educated then me but I do know a tool when I see one or hear one. You right there, you one of them keyboard huggers.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 12:45 PM
Once again adding greatly to this wonderful thread. :rolleyes:

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 12:57 PM

You avoided my question. Do you feel National Merit Scholars should be paid for attending a given university since schools publicize that information to recruit academic students?

hookandladder
08-08-2013, 01:21 PM

I may not be adding to this thread but it sure is funny watching people make you look like a fool, carry on Fool or should I say change the subject.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 01:49 PM
You avoided my question. Do you feel National Merit Scholars should be paid for attending a given university since schools publicize that information to recruit academic students?

On the surface, if they are using the likeness of the students like they are the athletes, I don't have a problem with it. I think the issue here is scope. How much revenue are schools getting from this marketing of national merit scholars? On the flip side, the NCAA had revenues of just short of $1billion in 2011-2012. More than 80% of that was from tv revenue. I don't think folks were tuning into the tv to watch merit scholars debate. So I'm not sure you can make a close apples to apples comparison.

But ultimately, yes, if the NCAA is using students to line the coffers yet still clings to archaic rules, they needs to be change.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 02:16 PM
I am interested in the philosophy of those that are against this suit about the ncaa likeness.

It appears that most of the posters on this board are pretty conservative and free market capitalists. I wonder how you reconcile the two. The ncaa is pretty much a communist organization. There is nothing free market about how they do things.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 02:20 PM
On the surface, if they are using the likeness of the students like they are the athletes, I don't have a problem with it. I think the issue here is scope. How much revenue are schools getting from this marketing of national merit scholars? On the flip side, the NCAA had revenues of just short of $1billion in 2011-2012. More than 80% of that was from tv revenue. I don't think folks were tuning into the tv to watch merit scholars debate. So I'm not sure you can make a close apples to apples comparison.

But ultimately, yes, if the NCAA is using students to line the coffers yet still clings to archaic rules, they needs to be change.

Mac you are right. That isn't an apple to apples comparison, because academic expenditures trump athletic revenues. You said yourself that in 2011-2012 the NCAA had revenues just short of $1 billion. That is for all schools combined correct?

In 2009, The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor alone had over $1 billion in research expenditures. Texas A&M had over $600 million which tops all Texas schools. (Source: http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf page 184 (186 by the way the pdf viewer counts it))

Of course some research money comes from grants, some from donations, some from various other sources. How do you think the school gets these grants and donations? One school alone had more research expenditures then the NCAA brought in in sports revenue. They get those grants and donations by showcasing that they have top notch students. The number of National Merit Scholars, graduate degrees, and more factor in to their receiving this money.

So with your logic, anyone getting a graduate degree, anyone who is a national merit scholar, or anyone who even contributes to the success of a university should be paid. So I guess we should just pay everyone to go to college. I don't know who will fund the schools, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Socialism here we come!

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 02:30 PM
Mac you are right. That isn't an apple to apples comparison, because academic expenditures trump athletic revenues. You said yourself that in 2011-2012 the NCAA had revenues just short of $1 billion. That is for all schools combined correct?

In 2009, The University of Michigan at Ann Arbor alone had over $1 billion in research expenditures. (Source: http://mup.asu.edu/research2011.pdf)

Of course some research money comes from grants, some from donations, some from various other sources. How do you think the school gets these grants and donations? One school alone had more research expenditures then the NCAA brought in in sports revenue. They get those grants and donations by showcasing that they have top notch students. The number of National Merit Scholars, graduate degrees, and more factor in to their receiving this money.

So with your logic, anyone getting a graduate degree, anyone who is a national merit scholar, or anyone who even contributes to the success of a university should be paid. So I guess we should just pay everyone to go to college. I don't know who will fund the schools, but I'm sure you can figure it out.

Socialism here we come!

Actually, based on my above post, it's directly the opposite of socialism. It's free market

Let me put it another way.

Lets say a really smart 18 yo kid has multiple offers from silicone valley to go to work
Lets say the same kid is a national merit scholar and has offers to go to several schools (obviously the schools can't pay as much as silicone valley but let's assume for the sake of argument they're close)

In the first option, I think we all would agree that if he takes the offer in silicone valley, it's an example of choice and free market. Why does the same thought process not apply if two universities compete for a kid?

Its completely opposite of socialism!

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 02:32 PM
Actually, based on my above post, it's directly the opposite of socialism. It's free market

Lets say a really smart 18 yo kid has multiple offers from silicone valley to go to work
Lets say the same kid is a national merit scholar and has offers to go to several schools (obviously the schools can't pay as much as silicone valley but let's assume for the sake of argument they're close)

In the first option, I think we all would agree that if he takes the offer in silicone valley, it's an example of choice and free market. Why does the same thought process not apply if two universities compete for a kid?

Clarify your statement. Are you saying that in this scenario the two universities would be offering more then just a free education? They'd also be offering pay as well?

And by the way I called it Socialism because you seem to want everyone to get paid to go to school. In Socialism, an abundance of access to a good is created. In this instance, education would be that good that you are creating abundant access to.

By the way, I have a Master's degree, and I do not feel that my university should have paid me to obtain it.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Clarify your statement. Are you saying that in this scenario the two universities would be offering more then just a free education? They'd also be offering pay as well?

Yes.

And by the way I called it Socialism because you seem to want everyone to get paid to go to school. In Socialism, an abundance of access to a good is created. In this instance, education would be that good that you are creating abundant access to.

No, I don't want everyone paid. Just as Johnny Menziel is more valuable to A&M than I would be if I were just a student, his talents dictate that he should be compensated more. Same with the merit scholars

I mean this is how it is in the real world. A company will pay you as much as they view your worth to the company. If you think they are not compensating you fairly, you can find another company that you think will compensate you fairly. That's not socialism.

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 02:52 PM

Its completely opposite of socialism!

I think it does apply in the second example also. The kid doesn't choose the school that pays him the most money like he would a employer but he certainly chooses the school that will open the most doors in the future and give him the best chance for success later on. Regardless of whether that success in later life is at a job or in the NFL. I repeat that the benefits earned by a student athlete at TAM&M (for example) will follow that kid a long time after they get out of school. The alumni network alone is worth a awful lot of money in later life if used correctly.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
I think it does apply in the second example also. The kid doesn't choose the school that pays him the most money like he would a employer but he certainly chooses the school that will open the most doors in the future and give him the best chance for success later on. Regardless of whether that success in later life is at a job or in the NFL. I repeat that the benefits earned by a student athlete at TAM&M (for example) will follow that kid a long time after they get out of school. The alumni network alone is worth a awful lot of money in later life if used correctly.

I don't disagree with anything you've said here. No doubt that a college choice has ramifications throughout life.

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 03:00 PM
Yes.

No, I don't want everyone paid. Just as Johnny Menziel is more valuable to A&M than I would be if I were just a student, his talents dictate that he should be compensated more. Same with the merit scholars

I mean this is how it is in the real world. A company will pay you as much as they view your worth to the company. If you think they are not compensating you fairly, you can find another company that you think will compensate you fairly. That's not socialism.

If this is the case then why do we restrict playing to only student athletes? If it's simply a matter of getting the best athletes on the field then let's allow the schools to hire anybody they want to play football. There are a awful lot of NEAR MISSES in the NFL that could go back and spend 10 years playing for their alma mater and under your plan they wouldn't ever have to attend a class...............It is just a job!

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 03:01 PM

Well, currently Johnny Manziel is compensated by getting a free degree, free room and board, etc. If he does not think he is being compensated fairly, then go get a job. That's the way it works. You can't just change it because you and some others don't think it's right. College was not and has never been meant to pay students to attend.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:03 PM
If this is the case then why do we restrict playing to only student athletes? If it's simply a matter of getting the best athletes on the field then let's allow the schools to hire anybody they want to play football. There are a awful lot of NEAR MISSES in the NFL that could go back and spend 10 years playing for their alma mater and under your plan they wouldn't ever have to attend a class...............It is just a job!

Well, there certainly would be tons of the details that would need to be worked out but I would think that the same type of eligibility requirements that are in place now would still apply. I mean I don't think anyone is or would argue that guys can play college ball for a decade.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:06 PM
Well, currently Johnny Manziel is compensated by getting a free degree, free room and board, etc. If he does not think he is being compensated fairly, then go get a job. That's the way it works. You can't just change it because you and some others don't think it's right. College was not and has never been meant to pay students to attend.

It was estimated that he made A&M somewhere in the neighborhood of $37 million for A&M last year. You think he got compensated fairly compared to what he did for that school?

And he's not allowed to get a job that compensates him fairly for his talents. If its found that he took money for the autographs, they he will be punished for exactly what you are suggesting.

And the argument of college wasn't meant to pay athletes is an old tired one. The argument of that's how we've always done it just doesn't cut it, IMO.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 03:08 PM
Well, there certainly would be tons of the details that would need to be worked out but I would think that the same type of eligibility requirements that are in place now would still apply. I mean I don't think anyone is or would argue that guys can play college ball for a decade.

If you're going to make it semi-pro by paying them, you might as well make it semi-pro and let them keep their job there as long as they like. Right?

None of this sounds ridiculous does it? :rolleyes:

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 03:09 PM
It was estimated that he made A&M somewhere in the neighborhood of $37 million for A&M last year. You think he got compensated fairly compared to what he did for that school?

I think he will make a lot more then $37 million in the very near future due to the publicity that Texas A&M has helped him create.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:10 PM
If you're going to make it semi-pro by paying them, you might as well make it semi-pro and let them keep their job there as long as they like. Right?

None of this sounds ridiculous does it? :rolleyes:

It kinds does sound ridiculous because I have no idea what you are trying to say.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:10 PM
I think he will make a lot more then $37 million in the very near future due to the publicity that Texas A&M has helped him create.

Maybe. Maybe not.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:12 PM
And a follow up to the 'that's the way we've done it ' argument, google the term end of amateurism. Lots of stuff will come up that's worth a read.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 03:14 PM
Maybe. Maybe not.

Okay, he may not make that kind of money, but if he does not it will be due to his own screw up. The way his name has been branded due to the opportunities that Texas A&M has given him will more then give him the opportunity to make a lot more then $37 million.

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 03:28 PM

And he's not allowed to get a job that compensates him fairly for his talents. If its found that he took money for the autographs, they he will be punished for exactly what you are suggesting.

And the argument of college wasn't meant to pay athletes is an old tired one. The argument of that's how we've always done it just doesn't cut it, IMO.

I would like to see how anyone was able to estimate how Johnny Manziel by himself made A&M 37 million dollars. Perhaps the Heisman trophy win might have brought in a bunch of residual money for the school but anyone who thinks Manziel got that trophy by himself is a moron. And the problem with your statement is that you assume he is "NOT ALLOWED TO GET A JOB". That is not true. Manziel can go to work tomorrow and A&M cannot say a damn word about it. The only thing A&M can say is that Johnny cannot play football for them AND get a job......... Playing football for Texas A&M is a choice................... if it's unfair then chose differently!

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:30 PM
Okay, he may not make that kind of money, but if he does not it will be due to his own screw up.

Thats not a fair statement. What if he just doesn't make it in the nfl due to lack of size or what ever.

The way his name has been branded due to the opportunities that Texas A&M has given him will more then give him the opportunity to make a lot more then $37 million.

Man, do you realize how much money $37 million is?

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 03:34 PM
It kinds does sound ridiculous because I have no idea what you are trying to say.

I think what is being said is that IF you want to make it just about playing football then make it just about playing football...................Why restrict it to just students if the goal is to get the best athletes on the field. You want to make it a "JOB" and put these guys abilities up for auction to the highest bidder then let's make it a job. It has always been about the education. the only way for college sports to survive is to view it as a avenue for these student-athletes to pay for the education that they are there to get. Once students begin to view college sports as a "JOB" it will all end. Colleges and Universities cannot pay their athletes and still provide the education standards that built them....

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:35 PM
I would like to see how anyone was able to estimate how Johnny Manziel by himself made A&M 37 million dollars. Perhaps the Heisman trophy win might have brought in a bunch of residual money for the school but anyone who thinks Manziel got that trophy by himself is a moron. And the problem with your statement is that you assume he is "NOT ALLOWED TO GET A JOB". That is not true. Manziel can go to work tomorrow and A&M cannot say a damn word about it. The only thing A&M can say is that Johnny cannot play football for them AND get a job......... Playing football for Texas A&M is a choice................... if it's unfair then chose differently!

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=8990966&src=desktop

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Thats not a fair statement. What if he just doesn't make it in the nfl due to lack of size or what ever.

Man, do you realize how much money $37 million is?

Yes I do, I believe I have financial knowledge that would rival most. Apparently you do not, since you can not even realize that he did not earn Texas A&M $37 million on his own.

Do you realize how much a signing bonus is and how much an average NFL contract is?

And if he doesn't make it due to his size, he will still get a shot at it and make more in his first year then most of us will make in a lifetime.

Additionally, the brand that his name has will allow him to do most anything he wants if he does not make it in the NFL. He can be a public speaker, he can be a college coach. He has all the opportunities in the world to make a fortune due to the opportunities that Texas A&M and the NCAA have given him.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:37 PM
I think what is being said is that IF you want to make it just about playing football then make it just about playing football...................Why restrict it to just students if the goal is to get the best athletes on the field. You want to make it a "JOB" and put these guys abilities up for auction to the highest bidder then let's make it a job. It has always been about the education. the only way for college sports to survive is to view it as a avenue for these student-athletes to pay for the education that they are there to get. Once students begin to view college sports as a "JOB" it will all end. Colleges and Universities cannot pay their athletes and still provide the education standards that built them....

Well, I respectfully disagree. And there are major changes coming. You just can't deny that there is a freight train coming down the tracks. What it's going to look like in the end, who knows?

Roughneck93
08-08-2013, 03:38 PM
NCAA getting out of the jersey selling business...

http://www.chron.com/sports/article/NCAA-getting-out-of-jersey-selling-business-4718309.php?cmpid=hpbn

hsbtex
08-08-2013, 03:42 PM
More than some Dewsh that calls himself uncle Nate? Yes.

And your point about the 7 violations could be turned on one of your points. You were so quick to point out that USC had cleared their guy but they're on that link you posted at 6 violations and theirs are much more recent than A&M.

Tigger...shouldn't you be focused on the hornies and the chance of another breakout 8-5 season?

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:44 PM
Yes I do, I believe I have financial knowledge that would rival most. Apparently you do not, since you can not even realize that he did not earn Texas A&M $37 million on his own.

Do you realize how much a signing bonus is and how much an average NFL contract is?

I posted the link to his estimated value to the school. I do fine with numbers thanks.

And if you look at the nfl now with the rookie wage scale, even if he were drafted #1, his contract wouldn't approach $37 million. The #1 pick this year just signed a $22 million deal and that's for 4 years.

And if he doesn't make it due to his size, he will still get a shot at it and make more in his first year then most of us will make in a lifetime.

Additionally, the brand that his name has will allow him to do most anything he wants if he does not make it in the NFL. He can be a public speaker, he can be a college coach. He has all the opportunities in the world to make a fortune due to the opportunities that Texas A&M and the NCAA have given him.

No doubt he can still have a comfortable life just making appearances for the aggies but not $37 million.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 03:46 PM
I posted the link to his estimated value to the school. I do fine with numbers thanks.

And if you look at the nfl now with the rookie wage scale, even if he were drafted #1, his contract wouldn't approach $37 million. The #1 pick this year just signed a $22 million deal and that's for 4 years.

No doubt he can still have a comfortable life just making appearances for the aggies but not $37 million.

Oh darn, $22 million instead of $37 million.

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 03:48 PM
http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=8990966&src=desktop

Not a very well thought out article. Like I said. Manziel's Heisman trophy certainly increased revenues for the school but who is smart enough to accurately assign a value to Manziel's part of something that was accomplished by the whole team? All the other crap is just speculation. What portion of the Johnny football jersey sells were the result of the team he played for? How much of a Jersey sells increase would they have seen in Ball State or some other podunk college if Manziel had played there? The popularity of Texas A&M before and after Manziel is so subjective as to be a non-factor. A&M football games have been selling out since the Inquistion was going on so how does Manziel influence that? My point is that there is no real way to say exactly how much money Manziel by himself created for the University. And we also have to remember the brand of Johnny Football that is so popular was in truth created by the NCAA and Texas A&M as much as it was created by Johnny himself. Although it is Johnny personally who is driving the value of that brand name down with every passing day......

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:53 PM
Not a very well thought out article. Like I said. Manziel's Heisman trophy certainly increased revenues for the school but who is smart enough to accurately assign a value to Manziel's part of something that was accomplished by the whole team? All the other crap is just speculation. What portion of the Johnny football jersey sells were the result of the team he played for? How much of a Jersey sells increase would they have seen in Ball State or some other podunk college if Manziel had played there? The popularity of Texas A&M before and after Manziel is so subjective as to be a non-factor. A&M football games have been selling out since the Inquistion was going on so how does Manziel influence that? My point is that there is no real way to say exactly how much money Manziel by himself created for the University. And we also have to remember the brand of Johnny Football that is so popular was in truth created by the NCAA and Texas A&M as much as it was created by Johnny himself. Although it is Johnny personally who is driving the value of that brand name down with every passing day......

Lol. Dude, that was written by Ric reilly. Hes won sports writer of the year like a dozen times.

The figure was developed by a firm hired by A&M called Joyce Julius & associates that does these types of valuations. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's bogus.

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Well, I respectfully disagree. And there are major changes coming. You just can't deny that there is a freight train coming down the tracks. What it's going to look like in the end, who knows?

Barrack Obama was also a "freight train coming down the tracks" Mac. The more intelligent folks saw right through the smoke and mirrors on that one just as they are seeing through this one. It isn't a perfect world and everybody can't have everything they want. College athletes play their sports in order to pay for their education and hopefully get a chance to showcase their skills to the next level. If that compensation isn't enough then perhaps they should go get a job just like the rest of the world does. How much of a benefit is it for a student athlete to graduate with a degree and NOT have a 100K student loan hanging over their heads?

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:57 PM
Oh darn, $22 million instead of $37 million.

Of course you assume JFF would be a #1 pick.

And if you are so good at finances, you certainly understand the Diff in $37 million in one year versus a $22 million contract over 4.

jason
08-08-2013, 03:58 PM
A&M football games have been selling out since the Inquistion was going on so how does Manziel influence that?

The games might have been sold out but now the stadium is actually full.

Roughneck93
08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
More on Uncle Nate...

"A half dozen sources and counting have said that, among other things, Fitch helped run a Manziel autograph business, setting up signings, handling logistics."

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9548973/uncle-nate-smarter-ncaa

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 03:59 PM
Barrack Obama was also a "freight train coming down the tracks" Mac. The more intelligent folks saw right through the smoke and mirrors on that one just as they are seeing through this one. It isn't a perfect world and everybody can't have everything they want. College athletes play their sports in order to pay for their education and hopefully get a chance to showcase their skills to the next level. If that compensation isn't enough then perhaps they should go get a job just like the rest of the world does. How much of a benefit is it for a student athlete to graduate with a degree and NOT have a 100K student loan hanging over their heads?

So the folks who's opinion is different than yours are unintelligent?

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 04:00 PM
The games might have been sold out but now the stadium is actually full.

Lol!

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 04:03 PM

And if you are so good at finances, you certainly understand the Diff in $37 million in one year versus a $22 million contract over 4.

The whole point of your argument about the $37 million was that he earned Texas A&M $37 million. With your logic he should get "a fair share" of that. If he were to even receive a $3 million contract to play for one year in the NFL, that would be a fair share. How many people work for a corporation and bring home 10% of what they earn the company?

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 04:08 PM
So the folks who's opinion is different than yours are unintelligent?

Mac... just for humor.... please share with us your college athlete compensation plan. I'd like to see it and see how fair it is across the board.

Farmersfan
08-08-2013, 04:09 PM
Lol. Dude, that was written by Ric reilly. Hes won sports writer of the year like a dozen times.

The figure was developed by a firm hired by A&M called Joyce Julius & associates that does these types of valuations. Just because you don't agree with it doesn't mean it's bogus.

It's a flawed figure Mac. It was designed to set a number for something that couldn't possibly be set. Example: Manziel Jersey sales might amount to a million dollars a year. But how much would his replacement QB have in jersey sells. You can't simply say Manziel benefited the school by a million dollars because he sold a million worth of jersey's. Any person wearing the QB jersey for A& M is going to sell a certain amount. The INCREASE is what Manziel provides for the school and that number cannot be known. Get it?

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 04:14 PM

I don't even like Manziel or Texas A&M. So why would I assume he will be a #1 pick?

Some have tried saying The University of Texas owes Vince Young money too. They're just as big of an idiot as you.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 04:15 PM
The whole point of your argument about the $37 million was that he earned Texas A&M $37 million. With your logic he should get "a fair share" of that. If he were to even receive a $3 million contract to play for one year in the NFL, that would be a fair share. How many people work for a corporation and bring home 10% of what they earn the company?

Its not about fair compared to me and you.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 04:16 PM
It's a flawed figure Mac. It was designed to set a number for something that couldn't possibly be set. Example: Manziel Jersey sales might amount to a million dollars a year. But how much would his replacement QB have in jersey sells. You can't simply say Manziel benefited the school by a million dollars because he sold a million worth of jersey's. Any person wearing the QB jersey for A& M is going to sell a certain amount. The INCREASE is what Manziel provides for the school and that number cannot be known. Get it?

Well, you certainly can disagree with those figures but those folks have an entire business focused around putting value on all of those variables.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 04:18 PM
I don't even like Manziel or Texas A&M. So why would I assume he will be a #1 pick?

Some have tried saying The University of Texas owes Vince Young money too. They're just as big of an idiot as you.

Why do you have to resort to calling people idiots that disagree with you? I haven't made a personal attack on you.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 04:19 PM
Why do you have to resort to calling people idiots that disagree with you? I haven't made a personal attack on you.

I didn't call you that because you disagree with me. I called you that because I call it like I see it.

Now please post your plan for paying all college athletes fairly.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 04:23 PM
I didn't call you that because you disagree with me. I called you that because I call it like I see it.

Now please post your plan for paying all college athletes fairly.

I don't have a plan.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 04:31 PM
I don't have a plan.

I would expect most Aggies to be bigger fans of the school then they are of Johnny Manziel.

The additional monies that someone like Manziel brings in to the university is not going in someone's pocket. That money is being spent to make the university better.... ie stadium upgrades, better equipment, etc.

The problem with this whole thing is that to some, Manziel has become bigger then the university. And when that happens, college football is in trouble.

coachc45
08-08-2013, 04:35 PM

The article states that the "publicity" that Manziel has brought the school in extra exposure is worth $37 Million in advertising. That is compared to how much exposure that aTm recieved in the year previous to Johnny Manziel. How much is Johnny alone or the success of the team can be debated, but the fact that everytime they mention Johnny Manziel they also mention aTm can not. The article was also written in February so it was before the negative publicity.

I have stated that I am staying out of the Manziel debate and I will. But I do want to weigh in on the paying of college athletes. I have listened to what the coaches and AD's of the big 5 Conference schools are saying. I have to agree with them. These kids do need a small stipend. I think $2500 a semester is not too much to ask. Many of these kids come from extremely poor backgrounds and can not afford the extra ameneties normal college kids can. They also can't work..... I know you say that they can during the summer, but that is not true. Summer is no longer a time off for Division 1 athletes. These kids are "encouraged" to take summer school and participate in the summer strength and conditiong program. These universities know that several of their athletes will go home during the summer and not have adequate food, supervision, or workout facilities. So they keep them year round.

The small stipend will give these kids some money for things like taking their girlfriend out for a date, or movies, or recreation. I think it will also cut down on them taking money from booster's but that is up for debate. It would also allow those kids parents the opportunity to come to a game or 2. Many of these kids can never have family come to games because they do not have the ability to pay for transportation.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 04:47 PM
The article states that the "publicity" that Manziel has brought the school in extra exposure is worth $37 Million in advertising. That is compared to how much exposure that aTm recieved in the year previous to Johnny Manziel. How much is Johnny alone or the success of the team can be debated, but the fact that everytime they mention Johnny Manziel they also mention aTm can not. The article was also written in February so it was before the negative publicity.

I have stated that I am staying out of the Manziel debate and I will. But I do want to weigh in on the paying of college athletes. I have listened to what the coaches and AD's of the big 5 Conference schools are saying. I have to agree with them. These kids do need a small stipend. I think $2500 a semester is not too much to ask. Many of these kids come from extremely poor backgrounds and can not afford the extra ameneties normal college kids can. They also can't work..... I know you say that they can during the summer, but that is not true. Summer is no longer a time off for Division 1 athletes. These kids are "encouraged" to take summer school and participate in the summer strength and conditiong program. These universities know that several of their athletes will go home during the summer and not have adequate food, supervision, or workout facilities. So they keep them year round.

The small stipend will give these kids some money for things like taking their girlfriend out for a date, or movies, or recreation. I think it will also cut down on them taking money from booster's but that is up for debate. It would also allow those kids parents the opportunity to come to a game or 2. Many of these kids can never have family come to games because they do not have the ability to pay for transportation.

You are saying that they can not afford the things a normal college kid can afford? The normal college kid leaves school deeply in debt. Yes that normal college kid might have worked while taking classes so that they could have some spending money, but it no where near offsets what the kid owes in tuition and fees when they get out.

The athletes are already getting more then the normal college kid.

I do realize that they have summer courses and conditioning, but if they can't find the time to work 10 hours a week somewhere during the summer, then they don't really want the extra money that badly. I graduated with my BBA in 2006 and my MBA in 2009. I had academic scholarships that paid for a small part of my tuition. For the rest of it I worked 60 hours a week as a salaried grocery store manager (meaning I was called all the time when I was off by my assistants asking me questions) while taking a full course load and having to drive a couple hours a day. In order to graduate with my BBA, in my final semester I took 18 hours. One of those courses was a Tuesday/Thursday class that I could not attend on Tuesdays due to my work schedule. Lucky for me, all of the exams were on Thursday. I made a B in the class and the professor never knew I wasn't there on Tuesdays. It can be done, if you want it to be done.

Perhaps these kids who REALLY want some spending money could get a job on campus for a few hours a week. Where there's a will there's a way.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 05:13 PM
At least now the ncaa has admitted they are hypocrites.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9551518&city=dallas&src=desktop

Eagle 1
08-08-2013, 05:16 PM
If this was Vince Young back in the day, we wouldn't even have heard about it.

Much ado about nothing.

gatordaze
08-08-2013, 05:24 PM
Perhaps these kids who REALLY want some spending money could get a job on campus for a few hours a week. Where there's a will there's a way.

They cannot get a job! Here is the real issue, my son is on scholarship at Texas and I still give him money each month for the things that are not covered (ie, enough food for a 285 lb OL) I do this because I can afford to. There are many kids that receive money from the government each semester if they qualify, it is the kids in the middle that I worry about. I repeat, D1 athletes CANNOT work! I do not know of a single one that does. They need eliminate the Pell Grant and ensure that each player receives the same amount of money to cover full participation.

coachc45
08-08-2013, 05:24 PM
You are saying that they can not afford the things a normal college kid can afford? The normal college kid leaves school deeply in debt. Yes that normal college kid might have worked while taking classes so that they could have some spending money, but it no where near offsets what the kid owes in tuition and fees when they get out.

The athletes are already getting more then the normal college kid.

I do realize that they have summer courses and conditioning, but if they can't find the time to work 10 hours a week somewhere during the summer, then they don't really want the extra money that badly. I graduated with my BBA in 2006 and my MBA in 2009. I had academic scholarships that paid for a small part of my tuition. For the rest of it I worked 60 hours a week as a salaried grocery store manager (meaning I was called all the time when I was off by my assistants asking me questions) while taking a full course load and having to drive a couple hours a day. In order to graduate with my BBA, in my final semester I took 18 hours. One of those courses was a Tuesday/Thursday class that I could not attend on Tuesdays due to my work schedule. Lucky for me, all of the exams were on Thursday. I made a B in the class and the professor never knew I wasn't there on Tuesdays. It can be done, if you want it to be done.

You do realize that these kids are working 80+ hour work weeks right?

Look, I wasn't a scholarship athlete and paid every single dime of my tuition out of my pocket. But that is neither here nor there. I have kids in college now and they both have jobs.... unfortunately I can not pay every dime of their school that i would like. But I am not talking about those kids.

I am talking about the poor kids..... the really poor kids. Sure they are getting a free education, sure they have room and board.... but they can not do things normal college kids can. Basically they are identured servants! And if you do not believe that or think it is a bad anology, then look up the term. It means someone who works in exchange for goods. Fits them. Sure they can work 10 hours a week for 2 months, @ $8 an hour it is basically $80 bucks a week for 8 weeks. $640 to last the whole year. RRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTT!!!!! Thats plenty!

gatordaze
08-08-2013, 05:26 PM
You do realize that these kids are working 80+ hour work weeks right?

Look, I wasn't a scholarship athlete and paid every single dime of my tuition out of my pocket. But that is neither here nor there. I have kids in college now and they both have jobs.... unfortunately I can not pay every dime of their school that i would like. But I am not talking about those kids.

I am talking about the poor kids..... the really poor kids. Sure they are getting a free education, sure they have room and board.... but they can not do things normal college kids can. Basically they are identured servants! And if you do not believe that or think it is a bad anology, then look up the term. It means someone who works in exchange for goods. Fits them. Sure they can work 10 hours a week for 2 months, @ $8 an hour it is basically $80 bucks a week for 8 weeks. $640 to last the whole year. RRRRIIIIGGGGHHHHHTTTTT!!!!! Thats plenty!

As i mentioned above, the really poor kids are getting 5K per year in a Pell Grant. The kids that don't qualify and parents can't fund them are the ones that suffer the most.

LH Panther Mom
08-08-2013, 05:39 PM
That is definitely true! My son, for the first time, spent the summer in San Antonio so he could be there for summer workouts. He worked all summer & scraped by, for the most part with little financial help from us. As soon as practices started last week, he no longer had time to work. And that's before school starts. The main reason I researched to see if there was a $2k cap is that I knew he made more than that this summer & needed peace of mind that he was compliant.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 06:09 PM
Some people don't want to hear that these kids are having a hard time. Theyre getting a free education. That should be enough.

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 06:13 PM
And when you look at all this against the backdrop of the money the ncaa execs are bringing in....

http://chronicle.com/article/Pay-for-Top-14-NCAA-Executives/124358/

gatordaze
08-08-2013, 06:16 PM
Some people don't want to hear that these kids are having a hard time. Theyre getting a free education. That should be enough.

They are not getting a FREE anything. They have invested in themselves in the same way that a academic scholarship student has. They are using their God given talents the same way that an academic scholarship student has. They are risking their health and their future so that others can cheer in the stands for a uniform and mascot. What they don't have the ability to do is to get a job to pay for a date or for gas or for anything that an academic scholarship student can do by getting a job. They put 50+ hours a week into repaying their scholarship unlike the academic scholarship person does. You don't know what your talking about Mac!

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 06:18 PM
They are not getting a FREE anything. They have invested in themselves in the same way that a academic scholarship student has. They are using their God given talents the same way that an academic scholarship student has. They are risking their health and their future so that others can cheer in the stands for a uniform and mascot. What they don't have the ability to do is to get a job to pay for a date or for gas or for anything that an academic scholarship student can do by getting a job. They put 50+ hours a week into repaying their scholarship unlike the academic scholarship person does. You don't know what your talking about Mac!

Check this thread. I think you missed my sarcasm in my post.

gatordaze
08-08-2013, 06:21 PM
Check this thread. I think you missed my sarcasm in my post.

Sorry sensitive subject! I write the "full cost of participation" check each month!

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 06:28 PM
Sorry sensitive subject! I write the "full cost of participation" check each month!

Understand. We're on the same side of this one, man.

rancher
08-08-2013, 06:34 PM
The heat is now just starting to be turned up. Great story just out" Is Uncle Nate smarter than the NCAA"
This should be an open-and-shut case. There have been other autograph brokers who say they, too, paid Manziel for his signature. Frankly, NCAA investigators would have to be a bunch of buffoons to believe Manziel signed hundreds, if not thousands, of autographs for known memorabilia dealers out of the goodness of his heart.
And the fact is Manziel would be committing an NCAA violation even if he signed the autographs for free but knew they would be sold for profit. Let's be real here: If you autograph hundreds of expensive football helmets for a memorabilia broker any reasonable judge or jury would rule that you knew they were going to be sold for profit.
Enjoy the great read

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9548973/uncle-nate-smarter-ncaa

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 06:49 PM
Frankly, NCAA investigators would have to be a bunch of buffoons to believe Manziel signed hundreds, if not thousands, of autographs for known memorabilia dealers out of the goodness of his heart.

What they believe is irrelevant.

And the fact is Manziel would be committing an NCAA violation even if he signed the autographs for free but knew they would be sold for profit.

Are you sure about this?

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 07:48 PM

Well, if going out and having fun is more important to them then a free education, then maybe they should quit playing football, take out loans, and get a job like everyone else.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 09:05 PM
Anybody got any proof yet?

Scoop27
08-08-2013, 09:18 PM
To me singer's and entertainers autographs are worth more than sports figures. I have my collection of country singers autographs. It's all about one's preference.

gatordaze
08-08-2013, 09:20 PM
Well, if going out and having fun is more important to them then a free education, then maybe they should quit playing football, take out loans, and get a job like everyone else.

We must be talking about different people. Playing FB at that level is not going out and having fun for most. It is a full time job that pays about $10 an hour at a state school.

bwdlionfan
08-08-2013, 09:23 PM
We must be talking about different people. Playing FB at that level is not going out and having fun for most. It is a full time job that pays about $10 an hour at a state school.

You mentioned that the football players do not have money to go out and have fun. So I said that if they would rather have fun then go to school for free, then they should quit football, take out a loan and get a job like the rest of the students do.

By the way, $10/hour is better pay then high school assistant coaches get.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 09:26 PM
To me singer's and entertainers autographs are worth more than sports figures. I have my collection of country singers autographs. It's all about one's preference.

Wise words of scoop

rancher
08-08-2013, 09:40 PM
THE UNCLE NATE RULE

NCAA Bylaw 12 also states that “an agent is any individual who, directly or indirectly, represents or attempts to represent an individual for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation for financial gain.”

Let’s say that Johnny Cash friend/handler/ bitch boy UNCLE NATE asked for cash for Manziel’s signature on memorabilia (as is being reported). UNCLE NATE would clearly qualify as an agent as he quit school to help Manziel manage his schedule and fame. He also would have attempted to represent the player for the purpose of making money off of his reputation.

But, would it matter if UNCLE NATE and JOHNNY CASH both said that the quarterback didn’t profit from the attempted rule violation? Southern Cal was smacked around based in large part on the word of a man who’s testimony wouldn’t have help up in an actual court of law. The NCAA expanded its powers and jurisdiction in order to pile on Penn State a year ago. So if the NCAA believes Johnny Cash knew what Uncle Nate was doing, the NCAA could punish Manziel. Even if both parties say the player didn’t know about it and didn’t profit from it.

The NCAA is not a court of law. There have been numerous stories over the past few days stating that the NCAA will have a hard time proving that Manziel received cash for autographs. But the new rule says nothing of cash changing hands. It states that a third-party — obviously one who has contacts to the player in question — need only “attempt to represent an individual for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation for financial gain.”

Macarthur
08-08-2013, 09:57 PM
The NCAA is not a court of law. There have been numerous stories over the past few days stating that the NCAA will have a hard time proving that Manziel received cash for autographs. But the new rule says nothing of cash changing hands. It states that a third-party — obviously one who has contacts to the player in question — need only “attempt to represent an individual for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation for financial gain.”

You may be right but I forsee this getting challenged in court if the try to enforce this. It strikes me as preposterous that they can hold a player responsible for something they have no knowledge of.

Lets say you are an athlete and your dad tells a guy he works with that he can come over and meet you but it's going to cost him $1000. Do you think that's fair that the ncaa would hold you responsible for that?

That seems completely untenable.

coachc45
08-08-2013, 10:06 PM
You mentioned that the football players do not have money to go out and have fun. So I said that if they would rather have fun then go to school for free, then they should quit football, take out a loan and get a job like the rest of the students do.

By the way, $10/hour is better pay then high school assistant coaches get.

So you want them to be Indentured servants????? Let me ask you this, why is it ok for a student to be on a full Academic scholarship and also be permitted to get a job when it is not for an Athlete? That Academic kid should just sit in his room and eat in the caf just like the athlete!!!!!!

You seem to have the opinion that because they are on scholarship they should cease to have a life outside of football! That is a joke isn't it? Surely you have a life outside your job right? Or do you go to work and then go straight home and lock yourself in your room?

These kids work anywhere between 60-80 hours a week and a scholarship is worth about $20,000 per year. Do you really think that is commiserate with their work?

coachc45
08-08-2013, 10:13 PM
THE UNCLE NATE RULE

NCAA Bylaw 12 also states that “an agent is any individual who, directly or indirectly, represents or attempts to represent an individual for the purpose of marketing his or her athletics ability or reputation for financial gain.”

Let’s say that Johnny Cash friend/handler/ bitch boy UNCLE NATE asked for cash for Manziel’s signature on memorabilia (as is being reported). UNCLE NATE would clearly qualify as an agent as he quit school to help Manziel manage his schedule and fame. He also would have attempted to represent the player for the purpose of making money off of his reputation.

But, would it matter if UNCLE NATE and JOHNNY CASH both said that the quarterback didn’t profit from the attempted rule violation? Southern Cal was smacked around based in large part on the word of a man who’s testimony wouldn’t have help up in an actual court of law. The NCAA expanded its powers and jurisdiction in order to pile on Penn State a year ago. So if the NCAA believes Johnny Cash knew what Uncle Nate was doing, the NCAA could punish Manziel. Even if both parties say the player didn’t know about it and didn’t profit from it.

That same article also states that the NCAA recognizes Nate as an association that began before college which puts him under the "family" clause. So Nate can't be recognized as an agent.

Can I ask you a question? Why should we listen to anything you try to add to this conversation. Obviously through your snide comments, "bitch boy and Johnny CASH", you are holding some strange vendetta against Manziel. Everything you say from here on out is tainted by your obvious disdain and obviously will be misconstrued to fit your POV. You already proved it by taking only from the article that helps your argument while ignoring a very pertinent fact that disproves your theory.

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 10:16 PM
That same article also states that the NCAA recognizes Nate as an association that began before college which puts him under the "family" clause. So Nate can't be recognized as an agent.

Can I ask you a question? Why should we listen to anything you try to add to this conversation. Obviously through your snide comments, "bitch boy and Johnny CASH", you are holding some strange vendetta against Manziel. Everything you say from here on out is tainted by your obvious disdain and obviously will be misconstrued to fit your POV. You already proved it by taking only from the article that helps your argument while ignoring a very pertinent fact that disproves your theory.

lol have you never read Rancher's posts before?

I dont think there's ever been one that hasn't been loaded with some insane bias. I dont even bother reading them anymore lol

coachc45
08-08-2013, 10:20 PM

Also they will have to find evidence of some sort to punish him. So far all of the dealers who have come forward have said they will refuse to cooperate with the NCAA. So the only evidence they have is Joe Schad telling the NCAA that these anonymous dealers told him. Even the NCAA can't make that stick. Not unless they plan on getting sued.

With The USC scandal they had a guy say "HE" gave Bush money, in this case they only have Joe Schad saying he heard it from some dude!!!

Saggy Aggie
08-08-2013, 10:21 PM
oh man..... this is good....

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/8/8/4604278/the-plot-thickens-no-active-investigation-on-manziel-ncaa-espn

coachc45
08-08-2013, 10:22 PM

I dont think there's ever been one that hasn't been loaded with some insane bias. I dont even bother reading them anymore lol

Yeah I've read them...... just wanted to call him out using Logic, something that will completely baffle him since it is something he knows nothing about!

coachc45
08-08-2013, 10:26 PM

http://www.goodbullhunting.com/2013/8/8/4604278/the-plot-thickens-no-active-investigation-on-manziel-ncaa-espn

It is funny that no NCAA spokesperson has ever confirmed an open investigation on Manziel. Just have ESPN's report saying there was one. And that came from "sources"!!!! Shoot I have sources also.....all of them probably as in the know as Rovelle and Schad's.

hollywood
08-09-2013, 08:49 AM

LOL... I get a kick out of some of the debaters on this board who want to give their .01 of opinions to show how they know the story only so that they can say, I told you so in the end. Only shows there really is ignorance in the world. You can't beleive everything you hear, read or see on the news or in media today. Look at the Obama campaign, full of lies and hopeless propaganda. lol Just like this staged story.

For the record...

ig·no·rance [ ígnərənss ] 1.lack of knowledge: lack of knowledge or education
2.unawareness: unawareness of something, often of something important
Synonyms: unawareness, inexperience, illiteracy, unfamiliarity, obliviousness, witlessness.

prop·a·gan·da [ pròppə gándə ] 1.publicity to promote something: information put out by an organization or government to promote a policy, idea, or cause
2.misleading publicity: deceptive or distorted information that is systematically spread

Old Tiger
08-09-2013, 08:50 AM
Here is a fact. A&M athletics has borrowed from the general fund 5 of the last 7 years.

BEAST
08-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Here is a fact. A&M athletics has borrowed from the general fund 5 of the last 7 years.

Dude, STOP! You are making yourself sound like an idiot!

BEAST

Saggy Aggie
08-09-2013, 09:17 AM

lol, c'mon Casey... thats all you got?

Wheres H&L?

Ive been asking for evidence and now it comes out that there isnt even really an investigation. hmmmm.... its like theres no evidence...

Phantom Stang
08-09-2013, 11:17 AM
If a grown man is willing to pay for another grown man's (or boy's:eek:) autograph, then the signer of the autograph should have the right to be compensated.

1st and goal
08-09-2013, 12:01 PM
Attorney says Manziel will play in opener

http://www.aggiesports.com/football/article_17459302-0097-11e3-86ea-0019bb2963f4.html

Cam
08-09-2013, 12:14 PM
LOL... I get a kick out of some of the debaters on this board who want to give their .01 of opinions to show how they know the story only so that they can say, I told you so in the end. Only shows there really is ignorance in the world. You can't beleive everything you hear, read or see on the news or in media today. Look at the Obama campaign, full of lies and hopeless propaganda. lol Just like this staged story.

For the record...

ig·no·rance [ ígnərənss ] 1.lack of knowledge: lack of knowledge or education
2.unawareness: unawareness of something, often of something important
Synonyms: unawareness, inexperience, illiteracy, unfamiliarity, obliviousness, witlessness.

prop·a·gan·da [ pròppə gándə ] 1.publicity to promote something: information put out by an organization or government to promote a policy, idea, or cause
2.misleading publicity: deceptive or distorted information that is systematically spread

Holy crap hollywood!......I had never read the definition of ignorance.....I think they used me for their example when writing it!!.....:vrycnfsd:

Cam
08-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Leon Jr.....your long thread might be in jeopardy with this one!.....

BwdLion73
08-09-2013, 12:56 PM

The only poster's that dont have that bias is me and Scoop...and sometimes I'm not so sure about Scoop. :) Yall keep this up for 7 more days then we can fight about the first scrimmage games.

By the way, can the discussion about paying college students be compared to High School? Mom or Dad gets a job and brings little Bubba along? :stirpot:

Saggy Aggie
08-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Man OT and H&L sure had a lot to say before and it's like they went missing???

hollywood
08-09-2013, 01:39 PM
holy crap hollywood!......i had never read the definition of ignorance.....i think they used me for their example when writing it!!.....:vrycnfsd:

lol!

Old Tiger
08-09-2013, 02:48 PM
Man OT and H&L sure had a lot to say before and it's like they went missing???

I rarely post on weekends and I've been moving to my new apt all day.

hollywood
08-09-2013, 05:00 PM
Got awefully quite in here today. lol

coachc45
08-09-2013, 06:01 PM
Got awefully quite in here today. lol

Hard to talk trash when they realized that they were duped by TMZ.... oops I mean ESPN... again!!!! lol

Roughneck93
08-09-2013, 06:15 PM
Manziel family attorney Jim Darnell on The Herd earlier today...

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=9553767

Saggy Aggie
08-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Man this thread went from a hundred posts a day to dead.... cant imagine why...

Tejastrue
08-10-2013, 01:42 PM
Gotta feeling that OT will be locked and loaded on Monday. Just being the devil's advocate here but there is no person connected that is saying he absolutely did not accept money.

Saggy Aggie
08-10-2013, 01:44 PM
Gotta feeling that OT will be locked and loaded on Monday. Just being the devil's advocate here but there is no person connected that is saying he absolutely did not accept money.

Yeah, except Johnny...

Tejastrue
08-10-2013, 02:14 PM
:thinking:...he tried that one already with the police.:D

Seriously though...I hope this gets cleared up and not be a hindrance or distraction to the football season so he'll have a chance to prove he is the real deal and it was not a fluke. I would love for the Aggies to kick any SEC teams' arse, especially Bama and LSU. I don't have to be a true fan of the school but they 'are' representing Texas and I will be pulling for them...at least against the SEC. lol

coachc45
08-10-2013, 03:23 PM

There hasn't been any person say he did either! Joe Schad has a source that is anonymous and refuses to cooperate with the NCAA.... so he might as well not have one.

FB-fanatic
08-10-2013, 06:09 PM
Johnny up to no good again... will he learn:

http://goo.gl/ilSIFU

hollywood
08-10-2013, 06:22 PM
Johnny up to no good again... will he learn:

http://goo.gl/ilSIFU

Now that's funny!

Macarthur
08-10-2013, 09:14 PM

Actually the school released a statement in march on this.

Tejastrue
08-10-2013, 10:10 PM
A statement to the public?

Macarthur
08-10-2013, 11:42 PM
Yep.

http://m.espn.go.com/general/story?storyId=9537999&src=desktop

Tejastrue
08-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Okay..that is what the Johnny (Manziels) said which leads us back to square one...It also looks like a bunch of loophole attorney endorsed movements but to each his own. i'm not going to carry this any farther simply because I don't believe in witch hunts.

On another note. I don't believe in paying college athletes...yet at the same time the NCAA cashcows need to be herded in..

Old Tiger
08-11-2013, 12:25 AM
Okay..that is what the Johnny (Manziels) said which leads us back to square one...It also looks like a bunch of loophole attorney endorsed movements but to each his own. i'm not going to carry this any farther simply because I don't believe in witch hunts.

On another note. I don't believe in paying college athletes...yet at the same time the NCAA cashcows need to be herded in..

Only around 30 million of what ncaa makes goes to administrative and employee pay. The rest is distributed throughout all teams associated with.

Tejastrue
08-11-2013, 12:30 AM
Okay..now you show up... and your numbers are based on what??

Old Tiger
08-11-2013, 06:43 AM
From earlier in this thread. Those are the 2011-2012 numbers but you get the gist of it.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/public/NCAA/Answers/Nine+points+to+consider_one

Here is a pie chart from 2011-2012
http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/95e6ad004e8b389fbe65fe8fccf39c15/130213revenue.jpg?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=95e6ad004e8b389fbe65fe8fccf39c15

Of 871.6 million dollars generated only 1% came from sales and services.

From the FAQ on NCAA website

Tejastrue
08-11-2013, 11:23 AM
That's cool and all but let's just say I don't think the guys/gals who head up the NCAA are actively seeking employment elsewhere.

I'll throw this one at you. It is a few years old.

http://chronicle.com/article/Pay-for-Top-14-NCAA-Executives/124358/

Old Tiger
08-11-2013, 12:14 PM
That's cool and all but let's just say I don't think the guys/gals who head up the NCAA are actively seeking employment elsewhere.

I'll throw this one at you. It is a few years old.

http://chronicle.com/article/Pay-for-Top-14-NCAA-Executives/124358/That is almost half a million average for the absolute highest paid in the industry. Really not that much considering what CEO's make and etc and what is distributed.

Trying to hard to make a coorelation with greed. You have to pay employees based on experience and etc. It is the way all businesses are structured

Tejastrue
08-11-2013, 04:31 PM
Those numbers are 4 years old now. I'm sure all salaries have increased accordingly in comparison with this....

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-07-09/NCAA-Mark-Emmert-salary/56117864/1

Old Tiger
08-11-2013, 04:38 PM
Those numbers are 4 years old now. I'm sure all salaries have increased accordingly in comparison with this....

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sports/college/story/2012-07-09/NCAA-Mark-Emmert-salary/56117864/1
From same article

In written background information provided with the tax return, NCAA spokesman Erik Christianson noted, in bulletpoint form:

"•NCAA executive salaries are set by the NCAA Executive Committee's Administrative Committee (comprised of university and college presidents from all three divisions).

"•The committee employs an independent third party to conduct a market survey of like positions.

"•As a result, NCAA executive salaries are commensurate with comparable executive positions."

Tejastrue
08-11-2013, 04:41 PM
yes...they are also nonprofit and tax exempt....lol

Old Tiger
08-11-2013, 04:43 PM
yes...they are also nonprofit and tax exempt....lol
The organization is, but the individual still has to pay taxes. You can say the same for churches and be mad about the money big time televangelist make. Especially someone who is supposed to be spreading the gospel and not profiting off of the gospel.

http://www.celebritynetworth.com/richest-celebrities/joel-osteen-net-worth/

Tejastrue
08-11-2013, 04:50 PM
One can see the hypocrisy in both don't you think?

Old Tiger
08-11-2013, 04:58 PM
One can see the hypocrisy in both don't you think?

The salaries paid to the executives of the NCAA is decided by a 3rd party.

Tejastrue
08-11-2013, 05:08 PM
The televangelists will tell you their salaries are also decided via a 3rd party minus their tithe of course....

Macarthur
08-12-2013, 06:41 AM
Defending the ncaa. Lol.

hollywood
08-12-2013, 09:06 AM
Figured this thread would slide off the first page by now, guess not.

BEAST
08-12-2013, 10:56 AM
This thread has gone from Manziel to TV Evangelist salaries. Wow!

BEAST

hookandladder
08-12-2013, 11:11 AM

OK, been gone fishing all weekend and read this however it now says it has been edited. What is really going on , are you saying the NCAA has come out and said they have never been investigating Johnny Football. I did listen to Johnny Manziels laywer and it sounded as if his client is being investigated by the NCAA, why does A&M and Johnny football each have their own lawyer. That seems strange , which this situation is defintitely strange.Who has any truth to add to this story today, any facts one way or the other.

Saggy Aggie
08-12-2013, 11:55 AM
OK, been gone fishing all weekend and read this however it now says it has been edited. What is really going on , are you saying the NCAA has come out and said they have never been investigating Johnny Football. I did listen to Johnny Manziels laywer and it sounded as if his client is being investigated by the NCAA, why does A&M and Johnny football each have their own lawyer. That seems strange , which this situation is defintitely strange.Who has any truth to add to this story today, any facts one way or the other.

Haven't heard anything new really, and you're right. Apparently the article has been edited since I posted it.

hookandladder
08-12-2013, 12:51 PM
Hard to talk trash when they realized that they were duped by TMZ.... oops I mean ESPN... again!!!! lol

OK, tell me who duped who. What you got, what is going on. I am listening, I do not post on weekend much either. Last thing I care to do is sit in house and play on putter, now Monday to Friday different story. Also my flip phone not made to play on internet

Macarthur
08-12-2013, 01:01 PM
I did listen to Johnny Manziels laywer and it sounded as if his client is being investigated by the NCAA, why does A&M and Johnny football each have their own lawyer. That seems strange , which this situation is defintitely strange.

I really don't think it's that strange when you think about the major implications of this case.

I'm sure the Manziel's lawyer and the school are working together some. They're ultimate goal is the same.

hookandladder
08-12-2013, 01:17 PM
I really don't think it's that strange when you think about the major implications of this case.

I'm sure the Manziel's lawyer and the school are working together some. They're ultimate goal is the same.

In listerning to the interview with Manziels lawyer it sounds like they have one common interest in getting him back on the field this year but that is it, not much love between Manziel family and A&M. Also sounds like old Uncle Nate has been thrown to the curb, free ride is over.

Old Tiger
08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
The Manziel's lawyers are there for nothing but a PR relations. They have zero say so in what goes on with this case.

1st and goal
08-12-2013, 06:16 PM
I just know that when the Manziels hired a lawyer, things got quiet. Fast.

Roughneck93
08-12-2013, 06:21 PM
I used to have a Manziel Grey back in the day...

http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220 (http://deadspin.com/the-long-con-how-the-manziels-conquered-america-1040593220)

Macarthur
08-12-2013, 07:05 PM
No, we can't afford to pay players

Old Tiger
08-12-2013, 08:44 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9562044/texas-aggies-qb-johnny-manziel-signed-two-more-sessions-sources?src=mobile

Make it 6 signings all together with brokers

Old Tiger
08-12-2013, 09:29 PM
Felony tax fraud is no joke

Manso/V8
08-12-2013, 09:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/9562044/texas-aggies-qb-johnny-manziel-signed-two-more-sessions-sources?src=mobile

Make it 6 signings all together with brokers

From the article.......

"he still could be found in violation of NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2. That bylaw requires a student-athlete to make every effort to stop the sale of products featuring his or her likeness."

What about those video games with college players?

Manso/V8
08-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Felony tax fraud is no joke

Tax returns on income received in 2012 weren't due until April 2013, and still aren't due (October 2013) if you filed an extension.......which families like the Manziels often due.
I filed for an automatic extension, and probably won't file until September or October......I think the interest rate on underpayments is 3% right now.

Returns/taxes on income received January 2013 aren't due until April 2014, or October 2014 if you file the extension.......there is a relatively small penalty for not paying taxes quarterly, but the taxes on the alleged money wouldn't be that much anyway.

Old Tiger
08-12-2013, 10:33 PM
Tax returns on income received in 2012 weren't due until April 2013, and still aren't due (October 2013) if you filed an extension.......which families like the Manziels often due.
I filed for an automatic extension, and probably won't file until September or October......I think the interest rate on underpayments is 3% right now.

Returns/taxes on income received January 2013 aren't due until April 2014, or October 2014 if you file the extension.......there is a relatively small penalty for not paying taxes quarterly, but the taxes on the alleged money wouldn't be that much anyway.

Form 8300 has to be filed for individual transactions over $10,000; the timeframe varies by transaction types (banks, for example, have 15 days to report this type of transaction; other businesses typically have until Jan. 31st to report such payments.

But there are ways around that kind of stuff.

Manso/V8
08-12-2013, 11:09 PM
form 8300 has to be filed for individual transactions over $10,000; the timeframe varies by transaction types (banks, for example, have 15 days to report this type of transaction; other businesses typically have until jan. 31st to report such payments.
But there are ways around that kind of stuff.

lol!

hookandladder
08-13-2013, 06:44 AM
What is so hard to beleive even if he did not get paid , why would you go to 3 different states and sign autographs for free. It is just really amazing, even if he gets out of all these issues you know he is going to catch all kinds of ragging from SEC schools on the road. The season is going to be really interesting for Johnny Football, he will have to be perfect every game to make it all go away. Undefeated season.

Macarthur
08-13-2013, 09:09 AM
What is so hard to beleive even if he did not get paid , why would you go to 3 different states and sign autographs for free. It is just really amazing, even if he gets out of all these issues you know he is going to catch all kinds of ragging from SEC schools on the road. The season is going to be really interesting for Johnny Football, he will have to be perfect every game to make it all go away. Undefeated season.

It wont go away even if it is an undefeated season. Hes gonna get ridden hard no matter what.

Macarthur
08-13-2013, 09:11 AM
From the article.......

"he still could be found in violation of NCAA Bylaw 12.5.2.2. That bylaw requires a student-athlete to make every effort to stop the sale of products featuring his or her likeness."

What about those video games with college players?

Based on what that former ncaa guy said on mike and mike this morning, this applies to situations where the athlete is used for endorsements. He did not think this would apply to Johnny. He basically said this will come down to is there any proof he was paid.

Aesculus gilmus
08-13-2013, 09:18 AM
A year from now, he'll be in the NFL and hardly anyone will care about any of this anymore.

The late Howard Cosell was right 30 or 40 years ago when he first started advocating the NCAA players in the lucrative "amateur" sports being paid as the professionals they are. It will be difficult to move to the system he envisioned because of programs such as Texas which bring in hundreds of millions each year from the current setup.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/richard-greener/of-course-howard-cosell-w_b_788786.html

Farmersfan
08-13-2013, 09:27 AM
Why not allow underclassmen to be drafted and paid by the Pro teams like in baseball? Except allow/require they stay in school instead of playing in the minors? Or maybe the pro teams could sponsor the universities for player salaries only? The Aggies could become the minor league developmental school for the Dallas Cowboys............................ :stirpot:

hookandladder
08-13-2013, 09:47 AM
Based on what that former ncaa guy said on mike and mike this morning, this applies to situations where the athlete is used for endorsements. He did not think this would apply to Johnny. He basically said this will come down to is there any proof he was paid.

Manziels lawyer said the NCAA could find him in violation of this bylaw , now making it hold up in court might be pretty hard to do but it is possible. One thing is for sure , Manziel is filling a bunch of lawyers pocket right now. What a waste of money on both sides, if only Johnny could have done without them new rims.

Old Tiger
08-13-2013, 08:28 PM
http://static.foxsports.com/content/fscom/img/2013/08/12/Should_I_Sign_This_Autograph_print_201308121254515 97_0_0.JPG

Roughneck93
08-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Dez on the NCAA...

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9565637/dez-bryant-dallas-cowboys-blasts-unfair-ncaa-handling-johnny-manziel-investigation

Old Tiger
08-13-2013, 09:57 PM
greed is a dirty whore

hookandladder
08-14-2013, 06:47 AM
Dez on the NCAA...

http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/9565637/dez-bryant-dallas-cowboys-blasts-unfair-ncaa-handling-johnny-manziel-investigation

I like Herm Edwards , he tells it like it is. Dez opinion , that is worthless. Like Herm said, Sumlin should have went face to face with Manziel and confronted him did you receive money for signing your autograph. That is why no one beleives he did not take money, even his lawyer will not answer that question in public. A&M and Manziel are just getting a black eye out of this crazy ****, that is sad after what they accomplished last year on the field. Also, this was brought on by Johnny Football not the media weather he received money are not no one signs the amount of items for brokers and carries himself in public that way after winning the Hesiman. Poor Uncle Nate , what a joke.

Farmersfan
08-14-2013, 08:43 AM
Dez on the NCAA...

I can't speak for anybody else but i couldn't function as a American until I was able to hear what DEZ BRYANT had to say about this situation! Now that he has spoken I can move on with my life...................

rancher
08-14-2013, 08:46 AM
Uncle Nate is now enrolled in the NCAA witness protection program. Word on the street in College Station is that he is living in Austin or Tuscaloosa.

Saggy Aggie
08-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Uncle Nate is now enrolled in the NCAA witness protection program. Word on the street in College Station is that he is living in Austin or Tuscaloosa.

Lol, i cant tell if this is a joke or not... mainly because its rancher.... do you have a source for any of the crap you put on here?

hookandladder
08-14-2013, 09:51 AM
Lol, i cant tell if this is a joke or not... mainly because its rancher.... do you have a source for any of the crap you put on here?

Uncle Nate has definitely fell off the face of the earth , so to speak. Wonder where he actually is these days , Uncle Nate may be selling his sole to the devil. From being a nobody , he sure has become famous these days. Getting air time on ESPN and all other News stations, maybe he looking to make some money off this deal since he has been thrown to the curb by his former Boss. Manziel lawyer said he is not representing Uncle Nate and the only company Johnny Football is keeping are Four big old unglys from Houston , that must be really fun.

rancher
08-14-2013, 10:19 AM
If you know or happen to run across Spencer Nealy in BCS ( he is living there now since he was cut) ask him about Nate Fitch, but stand back in case he takes a swing. Better yet ask Jake Spavital if you see him out. Add to this all of the faithful at Kyle Field and what do you think he is doing for his protection. Here is another great article from of all places FORBES.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/prishe/2013/08/13/johnny-manziels-mountainous-missteps-the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Bullaholic
08-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Unfortunately, as time passes, it is looking like Johnny Manziel is looking more and more like the "Money Badger"...Hope this all blows over and he is able to play this season. Hope the time comes when we can approach football seasons without all the drama and just play the game like it is supposed to be played and the fans can enjoy watching.

Saggy Aggie
08-14-2013, 11:18 AM
If you know or happen to run across Spencer Nealy in BCS ( he is living there now since he was cut) ask him about Nate Fitch, but stand back in case he takes a swing. Better yet ask Jake Spavital if you see him out. Add to this all of the faithful at Kyle Field and what do you think he is doing for his protection.

Source?

Macarthur
08-14-2013, 01:23 PM
I still think it's interesting that Espn is really the only news organization that keeps pushing this story. Why is that?