Quote Originally Posted by d0tc0m View Post
And, if you look at the teams you listed (Carthage, WOS, Gilmer and Navasota), apart from Carthage, I don't think the others even belong in the conversation. Argyle has, apart from 2012, handled Gilmer. Navasota had a couple of good seasons in 2012 and 2015, but apart from that, they're far from an elite program, even with Fedora. They benefitted from just a great couple of classes to go with a good coach. WOS, like Carthage, deserves that No. 1 preseason ranking almost every year, because they have just built that kind of machine. But WOS has gotten a free pass into the semifinals for the past half decade at least. Granted, that's not their fault. They can only play who gets put in front of them. But I don't think even WOS's best teams could have beaten Argyle in the past 10 years or so — maybe the 2016 team.

And, to be fair, though it seems like Carthage has won a title every year since 2008, they actually haven't. In 2011, Argyle beat both Carthage AND Gilmer. In 2012, Carthage lost to El Campo. In 2014, Carthage was ousted in the second round ... again by El Campo. And, in 2015, Carthage fell short against La Vega. But, since 2008, Argyle has NOT played for at least a Region title only three times. Granted, that's not anywhere close to Carthage's seven state titles since 2008, but, it still warrants being in the top 5 every year, in my opinion.

So, I hear exactly what you're saying, Dawgs. But, when you hash it out a little bit, I think it's easier to see why Argyle gets the nod year in and year out.
Well I think there are some things we are disagree. First your statement Argyle has NOT played for a region title only 3 times since 2008. I have them getting beat in the 2nd round in 2008, 3rd round in 2009, 3rd round in 2012, 3rd round in 2016, and 3rd round in 2017. So that would be 5 times.

You mentioned Carthage in 2011, 2014, and 2015. Yea we got beat in the playoffs that year. Those were all rebuilding years. 2011 Carthage was 9-4, 2014 they were 6-6, and 2015 the Dawgs were 11-4. We routinely beat teams we were not supposed to in those years. In 2011 a group of sophomores took Argyle to OT. In 2015 Carthage shredded the #1 team in the state Navasota who was on like a 30 game win streak. That was a 4 loss team. 2012 we shouldn’t have lost that game. That is the only year I can remember where Carthage was the favorite and got beat. Hell 2016 Carthage was an underdog in almost every playoff game and won a title. In years where Carthage is the favorite they dominate teams in the playoffs.

Same for Gilmer. Yea they have lost some games in the playoffs. Argyle has a winning record against them. But when they are the favorite they get it done. And even some years where they are not the favorite they make very deep runs. Look at 2012. That team wasn’t even supposed to be any good and they made a run to the state championship game.

Hell I can’t remember the last time WOS has lost a game they should’ve won. You can say last year, but I think everybody knows they were a little down. Most people who followed 4a knew PG was the favorite. Obviously the split division helped them a lot, but still. Even before that they were always in the mix. And their current run is better than anything Argyle has put together.

Now I look at Argyle. I see a team that is favored to win it all every year. But have only got it done once. I cannot remember the last time Argyle was not the favorite to win a state championship. Then they follow that up looking like world beaters in the regular season. But I can name several times they shouldn’t have got beat and did. And I’m not sure they have ever won a game in the playoffs where they were considered the underdog. Ville shouldn’t have beat them. Wylie shouldn’t have beat them. In 2015 they had LV down 31-27 with 2 minutes left and had 2 of the worst 12 men on the field penalties back to back that I have ever seen in a big game. Couldn’t close the deal. 2014 double OT loss in the championship. Again couldn’t get it done. 2013 finally got over the hump. That was a mentally tough team. Great game against FF, and they rose to the occasion. I won’t go back any further that that, but there is more. In the games I just named Argyle was probably the underdog in 1 of those games. The one against LV. It just seems for whatever reason Argyle missing something. Not sure what it it. But year after year they are the favorite to win a ship and don’t for whatever reason.

I guess going by overall records they deserve to be in the mix for #1 every year. You make some good points. I cannot disputed they are a top 3-5 team ever year. My point is they rarely live up to the hype.