Quote Originally Posted by regaleagle View Post
In the grand scheme of things, Texas high school football and Friday nights under the lights still shines the brightest in all of the nation. I'm sure that Florida is a close 2nd with all of their excellent high school football teams, but most probably a distant 2nd in the overall numbers and participation. Does any other state have the participation rates of the student body involved in the games like Texas does??? I seriously doubt it......from the band members to the cheerleading squads to the drill teams to the student sections......Texas High School football literally blows away the rest of the nation. We are blessed here in Texas with a very special and very deep-rooted tradition in every small town and large city throughout our great and enormous state. By and large the support for high school football is the pinnacle and the standard for all others to strive for......even in other sports. I've been a rabid fan since attending my first games at a very young age before even the 1st grade......and I'm in my 60's now. I was very athletic in my youth, and still play an amazing game of golf today for my age......and bowling too. I played almost every sport they offered at my high school in the 70's......I believe the Friday Night Lights football atmosphere helped with that......even before I was a high schooler. Now I get to relive my love of the seasons of my life each Friday night in the form of being a rabid fan for Texas high school football......as do millions of others in our great state. Yes.....I said millions. Are there millions in our state that at least follow and support our Texas high school football programs yearly??? I would like to believe there are.....even if they don't attend the games. :
I can't speak for all of Florida but where my son lives, Lakeland, FL... they have at least 4 public high schools... The one closest to his house is George Jenkins HS and they have approx. 2,600 students.. and are classified as 5A. Their stadium is what I would describe as a small 2A stadium and during ball games, only 20% filled with fans. Chad took me by the stadium during a game, against a cross-town rival and I couldn't believe how few people were there. He said a lot of the high profile athletes in FL go to private schools. They also don't play on Friday nights... That's just WRONG lol......