Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
And the average teacher's salary in Texas is $49,780. Is it any wonder we can't attract companies like Amazon because we don't have a large enough educated workforce?
Look, I agree teachers should be paid more because it’s a tough job. But let’s not pretend like they’re grossly underpaid.

Teachers work 9 months a year. They also have EVERY holiday off, they get a full week for thanksgiving and several weeks for Christmas. They have opportunities to earn extra pay by becoming department heads, master teachers, administrative positions, sponsoring programs at the school and/or coaching, tutoring, doing Saturday school, etc. Teachers also have an incredible retirement program that is sponsored by the state.

When you look at their pay on an actual hours worked rate, it’s not bad at all.

Teaching degrees are also very easy to come by. My direct experience in school tells me that very few people start off going for a teaching degree. Majority of people I know who went for more challenging degrees and changed majors, changed to teaching.... there’s a ton of teachers. It’s also a supply and demand thing....

Fire away