Quote Originally Posted by msu97 View Post
I have visited and heard talks from the pitching coaches at LSU, Ole Miss, MSU, Auburn, Kentucky and ATM...

they have video to back and the drills to help pitchers throw to certain spots... 18 inches off the ground is a strike in the SEC and has been for years... about 1 foot off the plate on either side is a strike...

not saying it is right but it is what has been consistently called a strike in the SEC for the last 5-6 years...
I myself like it... it helps... I think it is one of the reasons the SEC pitchers do so well in the pros since they can consistently throw to those spots...

I wish high school umps would widen their strike zone to help the pitchers...

that was one great baseball series... two very good teams
I hated it back when Atlanta Braves had Smoltz and Maddux and they'd get the calls and the other teams wouldn't. Call it the way the original rules say, and use the new fangled computer system to give the umps a post game grade. It would be nice if there was someway to keep them honest. A frustrating weakness of the sport for a century and now they have the technology to do something about it. How often have you seen a batter take a 3-2 pitch, throw his bat and start trotting to first, and then the ump rings 'em up on their 3rd strike, just to demand respect.

I ain't saying I could do a great job of it, but for those that do, grade them to keep them on the up and up. My .02