Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by LH Panther Mom View Post
    And that is a huge problem! Can't cut it in engineering or pre-med or accounting? Switch and become a teacher. The best are the ones that actually want to teach...not those that do it as a fall back.
    Exactly. And I’m not going to pretend teaching is the only fall back option. Engineering is a fall back option for some students pursuing pre-med and vet degrees for example. The bottom line is that there are absolutely tiers of difficulty in college nowadays

I recognize this is just one source, but bestcolleges.org says the 3 easiest degrees to obtain nowadays are:

1) Special education
    2) elementary education
    3) secondary education

The most difficult are:

1) biology (pre-med)
    2) comp sci
    3) civil engineering
    4) mechanical engineering

I wish they would make the teaching degrees and certifications more difficult to come by (i.e GMAT or MCAT). If you raise the bar, it drives down retention rate and improves the quality of candidates and forces higher wages.

Somewhat surprisingly, I looked up some data that shows around 33% of students change their major in college. I would’ve expected that to be a little higher

All-American

This article is such click bait....head football coaches for the most part are on administrator contracts and not teacher contracts.....as TXBroadcaster says their salaries are in line with principals and others in administrative positions in school districts...yes teachers are underpaid but unless we are cutting admin salaries across the board head coaches/AD contracts shouldn't be cut either

Quote Originally Posted by Saggy Aggie View Post
    Exactly. And I’m not going to pretend teaching is the only fall back option. Engineering is a fall back option for some students pursuing pre-med and vet degrees for example. The bottom line is that there are absolutely tiers of difficulty in college nowadays

I recognize this is just one source, but bestcolleges.org says the 3 easiest degrees to obtain nowadays are:

1) Special education
    2) elementary education
    3) secondary education

The most difficult are:

1) biology (pre-med)
    2) comp sci
    3) civil engineering
    4) mechanical engineering

I wish they would make the teaching degrees and certifications more difficult to come by (i.e GMAT or MCAT). If you raise the bar, it drives down retention rate and improves the quality of candidates and forces higher wages.

Somewhat surprisingly, I looked up some data that shows around 33% of students change their major in college. I would’ve expected that to be a little higher
    What about those who are extremely smart, valedictorian and salutatorian in fact, choosing to be a teacher or a registered nurse? Both are making over a 97 average in college, but that is what they have chosen as their careers. Does that mean they are just not smart enough to become doctors or engineers? NO!

As the spouse of a teacher for 22 years, I can tell you that you really have no clue about the time teachers put in at their jobs. While it may be true for "some" teachers to only work about 9 months out of the year, it is not true for the vast majority of them. I've seen my wife work from 7:15 AM to 10:00 PM five days a week, and then at least 8 hours on Saturdays getting lesson plans together, grading papers, entering grades, etc. That doesn't include the continuing education classes they have to take during the summer. Suffice it to say, she used to work 12 months worth of hours in the "9 months" you're talking about. While her salary is "decent", it wouldn't be worth it for most people. You absolutely have to WANT to do it. Putting up with poor excuses for parents and state mandated testing guidelines, etc. is a whole other thing. The idea of getting rich is definitely not why teachers do what they do. If that were their intent, they definitely chose the wrong career. My wife worked 40 hours a week while working toward her degree. She knows what a "regular" job is for sure. I have nothing but respect for teachers, and yes, I believe they should be paid more. Incentive pay is extremely tough to gauge due to varying student abilities, so I wouldn't know the first "fair" way to make it valid.
    "Kaizen"

".......offense wins games, but DEFENSE wins championships!"

P.R.I.D.E.

Gilmer Buckeyes -State Champions:

2004 3A - Division II
    2009 3A - Division I
    2014 4A - Division II
    2023 4A - Division II