Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Sweetwater by 21! Go Mustangs!

Practice Squad

Coach Slaughter will not allow his team to get beat that bad by Monahans. No disrespect to Monahans, but they played Snyder... I understand the preseason rankings and I know that Snyder is supposed to be a great team this year, but that's not the case... Snyder has One stand out player on offense, surrounded by a bunch of average guys. Overall that can make Snyder a scary team to play, but they are too inconsistent on both sides of the ball to be a heavy threat. With all of that being said I think Monahans is still a good team, and definitely not a team to overlook. But I just don't see them beating Sweetwater by any more than 17 points.

Monahans 27 to Sweetwaters 14 Final

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by wtxfootball08 View Post
    Coach Slaughter will not allow his team to get beat that bad by Monahans. No disrespect to Monahans, but they played Snyder... I understand the preseason rankings and I know that Snyder is supposed to be a great team this year, but that's not the case... Snyder has One stand out player on offense, surrounded by a bunch of average guys. Overall that can make Snyder a scary team to play, but they are too inconsistent on both sides of the ball to be a heavy threat. With all of that being said I think Monahans is still a good team, and definitely not a team to overlook. But I just don't see them beating Sweetwater by any more than 17 points.

Monahans 27 to Sweetwaters 14 Final
    OK Black Magic... I'm awaiting your response to this post.

Quote Originally Posted by Bosqueville View Post
    OK Black Magic... I'm awaiting your response to this post.
    Me too. It wasnt even by a Brownwood guy. Wow. Where there is smoke............

BEAST
    Dont start none, wont be none!

Quote Originally Posted by ASUFrisbeeStud View Post
    Yeah I got the scrimmage and pre-game last week. His kickoffs were going 3-4 yards deep in the endzone. I'd like to see him try some 40+, I think it's possible.

He's got a heckuva leg. that's for sure. He had 3 KOs in the Vernon game. One was deep in the endzone and the KR called for a fair catch. the other two were inside the five and were returned to the 25 and 29. He might need to try to get the kicks higher in the air or we need more speed on the KO team that can get down there and cover.

What amazes me is how effortless his kicks look. He just runs out on the field straight to his spot and booms it. None of that walking up to the tee, taking two steps back and two steps to the left (or right) like most kickers.One thing is for sure It's going to be fun to watch him develop over the next two years.

Btw, they have him listed as a WR/DE in the program. I haven't seen that combo since "Bootsy" was playing. lol
    Last edited by Sweetwater Red; 08-31-2011 at 06:54 PM.

I've heard Sweetwater has a much improved defense from last year. Any comments on this?

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverALobo View Post
    I've heard Sweetwater has a much improved defense from last year. Any comments on this?
    We have improved on both sides of the ball. Our O-Line is the best it's been since Slaughter has been here and our front seven on defense are playing well. The secondary was suspect against Vernon in the second half. But, Slaughter made the necessary adlustments and pulled two kids off the field and replaced them with upper classmen and that seemed to work.

Now I've heard that Monahans has a kicker that can nail 50 yarders. I got this from the Snyder broadcasters when I was in my truck and listening to the last 3 minutes of y'alls game after ours ended. Any truth to that?

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by Sweetwater Red View Post
    Now I've heard that Monahans has a kicker that can nail 50 yarders. I got this from the Snyder broadcasters when I was in my truck and listening to the last 3 minutes of y'alls game after ours ended. Any truth to that?
    We've got one that can... check this video out... fast forward to the 1:26 mark:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71hTIfKixII

We have improved on both sides of the ball. Our O-Line is the best it's been since Slaughter has been here and our front seven on defense are playing well. The secondary was suspect against Vernon in the second half. But, Slaughter made the necessary adlustments and pulled two kids off the field and replaced them with upper classmen and that seemed to work.

Ya he hit a 46 yarder right before half that probably would have been good from 5 or 10 yards back. Sounds like Slaughter is making the right moves. Should be an exciting game this Friday! Wish I could make it

Junior Varsity

After last Friday we know he can kick 46 yard fieldgoals.
    Life is not like a box of chocolates, It's more like a jar of jalapenos, What you do today may burn your butt tomorrow

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by bwdlionfan View Post
    ...as long as he has that 20+ mph wind at his back. Still impressive though.

I will let this season speak for its self. we will see wont we. One note. Snyder lost to Monahans by 1 point the first game of the year in 2007... Second meeting won by 40 I believe and continued on to play Celina for a semifinal game in Abilene. Season is still very young. Unlike many on this board , Im smart enough to know you dont talk like some of these bafoons because you come back to eat a plate full of it later. Season is young. Many games to be played. Kids get better as time goes on. Snyder has Always started slow and finishes strong.
    TO ALL MY LOVE SLAVES OUT THERE.. BLACK MAGIC IS HERE.. IN THE FLESH BABY!!

I really like how this turned into a Snyder/Brownwood thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ASUFrisbeeStud View Post
    I really like how this turned into a Snyder/Brownwood thread.
    sorry. the only reason I said a word was because someone asked. Im pulling for SW. It iritates me too how BW folks just cant keep from poping off and then cry about someone being classles. Good luck SW!
    TO ALL MY LOVE SLAVES OUT THERE.. BLACK MAGIC IS HERE.. IN THE FLESH BABY!!

Sammy Baugh Classic begins

August 31, 2011

By
    Ron Howell
    sweetwatersports@yahoo.com

The seventh annual Sammy Baugh Classic makes its return to Mustang Bowl on Thursday, with three games on tap this year.
    Sweetwater and Roscoe are playing in the Classic for the seventh straight year but are facing different opponents than in 2010, and two new teams — Rotan and Ranger — will be squaring off the final day.
    Roscoe (0-1) will be seeking its first win when it plays Hawley (1-0) in Thursday’s opener at 7:30 p.m., while Sweetwater (1-0) — which is coming off a 10-0 season-opening win over Vernon at the Bowl — will be taking on No. 9-ranked Monahans (1-0) Friday at 7:30 p.m.

http://www.sweetwaterreporter.com/ca...s/local-sports