Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Bridgeport @ Decatur ("Battle of Big Sandy")

This week is the 90th annual "Battle of Big Sandy" between the Bridgeport Bulls and the Decatur Eagles. This is one of the oldest and most intense rivalries in Texas High School football.

The Bulls come into this game on a roll, having won all of their district games so far, and have a 5-4 overall record. With a win, the Bulls will lock up their 2nd straight District 5-3A championship and look forward to the DII playoffs.

The Eagles have not faired as well this year and are 2-2 in district and 3-6 overall and will probably be at home for the playoffs this year.

You can throw the records out the window for this one folks---these two teams are old, intense rivals from the helmet to the cleats, including the fans of both towns who will turn out in great numbers. Decatur can literally make their season, despite a less than impressive record, with a win over the Bulls, and the Bulls can earn bragging rights for the 2nd season in a row and lots of sweet revenge, after suffering some huge losses for 6 seasons in a row to the Eagles prior to 2008.

I think the Bulls will come ready to play and take this one by 21+. Bring on them dirty birds....

Go Bulls! WDA!

eagle12

Bridgeport will win this one by a lot, played both teams, and bridgeport is way better

statewide

Bridgeport should win this one.

Thanks, guys, but Decatur will be in 'kamakazi' mode, and as Phil C likes to say, "We must be most careful--scary indeed."

All-American

The Bulls have had to go through some growing pains this year and have graduated to a pretty good team at the right time of year. It looks like they enter the playoffs with an undefeated record and have the tools to make the playoffs interesting. Bridgeport will win this week and roll into the first round on a high note. A little confidence and this team could be a big spoiler for some in the playoffs. Good Luck Bulls.
    In a perfect world, I would always be a winner---Why is it that I find it so hard to reach perfection???

Originally posted by OldBison75
    The Bulls have had to go through some growing pains this year and have graduated to a pretty good team at the right time of year. It looks like they enter the playoffs with an undefeated record and have the tools to make the playoffs interesting. Bridgeport will win this week and roll into the first round on a high note. A little confidence and this team could be a big spoiler for some in the playoffs. Good Luck Bulls.
    I GUARANTEE we will go at least 2 deep, OldBison.

Junior Varsity

Played 'em both......The Bulls roll.....BIG
    BELIEVE IT!!

MamaBull

decatur is the worst team i have ever seen in my life.

bulls-1,000,000
    eagles-0

Letterman

Ouch thts a def punch in the gut...

Bulls win big, but...

on a related note, the biggest story about this game will be how much the students of the two communities have come together to remember our fallent student, Leslie Denison.

You kids... I mean Young Adults have restored my faith.
    slpybear

Bulls, Bevo, 'Boys, & BOSOX

MamaBull

Default Re: Bridgeport @ Decatur ("Battle of Big Sandy")

Originally posted by Bullaholic

Go Bulls! WDA!

statewide

Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
    Bulls win big, but...

on a related note, the biggest story about this game will be how much the students of the two communities have come together to remember our fallent student, Leslie Denison.

You kids... I mean Young Adults have restored my faith.
    That is neat and much bigger than any football game.

All-State

Originally posted by statewide
    That is neat and much bigger than any football game.
    Yes, it is. While I hope Bridgeport wins and wins big, I think pretty highly of how the kids and community of Decatur have really tried to help out this year after the tragedy in this community.

And it would be wise to remember that Bridgeport and Decatur are always UP to play each other, and that a less-than-stellar Decatur team could redeem their entire season with a win against Bridgeport at home.

So I'll just pick Bridgeport to win by 2 touchdowns and stay on the conservative side.

Practice Squad

We know how intense friday night will be. What about thursday. Anyone know how the subvarsity games will go? Records of both schools? Rivalry games are fun to watch from the top down...
    You Fail.

BurkFan

Bridgeport wins this game handily. Although I like rivalvries.

Did not hear story alluded in the post as teams rallying around another student though. What happened?