Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: U.I.L. Question

Letterman

Default U.I.L. Question

How old does a 6th grader have to be before he is allowed to play with a 7th grade team?

I would assume 7th-grade old?
    We don't freestyle 'Texas Fight', big boy.

i believe UIL allows 7th graders and up to play up but i do not believe a 6th grader is allowed to. I may be wrong though

Letterman

Does anyone know where I could look up this information? I tried the UIL website but it is to hard to navigate to where I need to go.

All-American

Originally posted by kaorder1999
    i believe UIL allows 7th graders and up to play up but i do not believe a 6th grader is allowed to. I may be wrong though
    I think you are right..........seems like i read that an 8th grader(right age) can play up in certain sports but loses a year in high school...so not a good idea..........we have kid here too old for 8th grade football so he goes up to the high school to play with the freshmen

SECTION 1400 JUNIOR HIGH (SEVENTH AND EIGHTH GRADES)

(b) ELIGIBILITY REQUIREMENTS FOR ELEMENTARY SCHOOL PARTICIPANTS. An individual may participate in League competition or contests as a representative of the participant school he/she attents if that student:

(1)Has been in attendance and has passed th enumber of courses required by state law and by rules of the State Board of Education and is passing the courses required by state law and by rules of the State Board of Education.

(2) IS A SIXTH GRADE STUDENT WHO WILL BE TOO OLD TO PARTICIPATE THE FOLLOWING YEAR AS A SEVENTH GRADER AND WHO HAS A SPECIAL NEEDS CONDITION WHICH DELAYED HIS OR HER EDUCATION BY AT LEAST ONE YEAR (Applies to athletic competitions only)

Basically, Here is what the rules say.
    A 6th grader CAN compete with the 7th grade in a UIL athletic event IF:

1) they will turn 14 ON OR BEFORE September 1 (while in 7th grade the next year

AND

2) Is a student with a disability which delayed his or her education by at least one year and therefor will be too old to participate the following year as a seventh grader

Letterman

Basically, Here is what the rules say.
    A 6th grader CAN compete with the 7th grade in a UIL athletic event IF:

1) they will turn 14 ON OR BEFORE September 1 (while in 7th grade the next year

AND

2) Is a student with a disability which delayed his or her education by at least one year and therefor will be too old to participate the following year as a seventh grader

So, say the kids was 13 in June. He has the eligibility to play with us in 7th grade?

Originally posted by STAggie
    So, say the kids was 13 in June. He has the eligibility to play with us in 7th grade?
    is he currently a 6th grader that turns 14 BEFORE this september?

Letterman

is he currently a 6th grader that turns 14 BEFORE this september?
    As in September 2010? Yes.

As in September 2010? Yes.
    ok...thats Step 1

Now...does he have a documented disability which delayed his or her education by at least one year?

in other words...he/she couldnt have just failed....they have to actually have a documented disability on file with the school.....

Letterman

ok...thats Step 1

Now...does he have a documented disability which delayed his or her education by at least one year?
    Yes, he is "special education". As far as has a diagnosed learning disability.

Yes, he is "special education". As far as has a diagnosed learning disability.
    then if that is the case he should be fine. I would just follow up on the specific disability....i would make sure someone in the SPED department as well as an administrator signs off on it and says that it was his disability that put his behind a year. Make sense?

Letterman

then if that is the case he should be fine. I would just follow up on the specific disability....i would make sure someone in the SPED department as well as an administrator signs off on it and says that it was his disability that put his behind a year. Make sense?
    Perfectly. I will get on that. I am kinda upset now that we didn't realize this sooner and get him into football. Man sometimes it is hard to keep up with all this.