Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Question for officials

Isn't there a rule against "leaping", or am I making that up? I'm not trying to be scarcastic, FOR ONCE....I really want to know.

To be more specific....during an extra point attempt, is it legal for a defender in the linebacker position to "leap" over the center to block the kick?

Thanks

I'm not an official but i know it is legal if the player doesnt use his teammate to propel him over. he has to do it all on his own
    Last edited by GrTigers6; 10-28-2009 at 10:36 AM.

Junior Varsity

The rule has always been that no other player can assist you in your jump. It was also a rule that when you leaped in High School that you could not lead with your feet i.e. hurdle another player. But we see that all of the time now. I don;t know if the rule was ever changed, or if we just don't call it anymore.

Originally posted by FbCoachB40
    The rule has always been that no other player can assist you in your jump. It was also a rule that when you leaped in High School that you could not lead with your feet i.e. hurdle another player. But we see that all of the time now. I don;t know if the rule was ever changed, or if we just don't call it anymore.
    So, by rule, the player cannot use a player from the opposing team to assist in his leap either, right? Again, I'm just trying to understand the rule. Thanks for any or all comments.

I heard a story once about a team that used cheerleader lifts (two players boosting another) that prompted the rule change a long time ago. I can't remember the team or the era it happened though. (70's-80's?)

I also thought there was something about the "leaping" player having to be a yard from the line of scrimmage at the snap???? Anyone??

I'm no ref but thought there were a few rules in this:

1) Player cannot assist a teammate, be assisted by another teammate, or use the opposing team to help assist in jumping up to block.
    2) If at the LOS, player must jump straight up and not into the line - I believe this was done because man when players were trying to jump over, they fell on to a lineman who was planted, and the downward force was causing leg/knee injuries.
    We don't freestyle 'Texas Fight', big boy.

Here is what the 2008 rules state about leaping.

9.1.2(n)
    No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may step, jump
    or stand on an opponent. No defensive player who runs forward from
    beyond the neutral zone and leaps from beyond the neutral zone in an
    obvious attempt to block a field goal or try may land on any player(s).
    It is not a foul if the leaping player was aligned in a stationary position
    within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.
    Brownwood Lions

land on any player(s).
    Unusual rule in that if a defender runs forward and leaps and lands on his own teamates then it is still a personal foul.

The running forward and leaping part has been on the books for about three years maybe a little longer but it is fairly new addition.

Originally posted by BwdLion_80
    Here is what the 2008 rules state about leaping.

9.1.2(n)
    No defensive player, in an attempt to gain an advantage, may step, jump
    or stand on an opponent. No defensive player who runs forward from
    beyond the neutral zone and leaps from beyond the neutral zone in an
    obvious attempt to block a field goal or try may land on any player(s).
    It is not a foul if the leaping player was aligned in a stationary position
    within one yard of the line of scrimmage when the ball was snapped.
    Thanks for posting the rule.

So, am I correct in saying that if a defender is walking up from the goal line as he is timing the snap, and that same player leaps over the center and blocks the kick, a flag should have been thrown?

According to the rule, if the player did not land on another player, it was legal.
    Brownwood Lions

Default Re: Question for officials

Originally posted by ccmom
    Isn't there a rule against "leaping", or am I making that up? I'm not trying to be scarcastic, FOR ONCE....I really want to know.

To be more specific....during an extra point attempt, is it legal for a defender in the linebacker position to "leap" over the center to block the kick?

Thanks
    I am assuming that some are whining that a flag should have been thrown to keep Brownwood from winning the game. The picture below shows Longoria did not leap over anybody. He crashed thru the Graham defenders to block the kick. It was simply a great effort by a kid who was determined to do his job to make sure his team won. I am sure I would be saying the same thing if I was on the other side of the argument but .... Lions Win!

Default Re: Re: Question for officials

Originally posted by Looking4number8
    I am assuming that some are whining that a flag should have been thrown to keep Brownwood from winning the game. The picture below shows Longoria did not leap over anybody. He crashed thru the Graham defenders to block the kick. It was simply a great effort by a kid who was determined to do his job to make sure his team won. I am sure I would be saying the same thing if I was on the other side of the argument but .... Lions Win!

For the record, I obviously had no "Dawg" in the fight (haha), and I have already congratulated the Lions more than once for an outstanding game and victory. I am truly just trying to understand the rule and where the arguement might come from.

Or... stir the pot???
    Brownwood Lions

Originally posted by BwdLion_80
    Or... stir the pot???
    I have been known to do that, but I admit it when I do.