Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Thumbs down UIL also votes....

I heard on the news tonight that starting next year all of the state games, 1a-5a will be played at one predetermined location.
    So it looks like the towns way up in the panhandle or way down south wont have a choice.
    What's next, are they going to pick the winner of the game?
    “Evil triumphs when good men do nothing”
    ~Thomas Jefferson.
    Goldthwaite Eagles 1A Div 1 State Champions 2009

http://www.sitcomsonline.com/sounds/sanfordandson.wav

No next people will gripe about having to travel so far for a championship game with the end result being another vote to make sectional champs instead of state champs just like california does.

If they alternate between the DFW area and Austin/San Antonio it won't be too bad. It might be rough for a panhandle team to travel to San Antonio..or a valley team traveling to DFW..but I think fans of those teams would prefer that to the alternative of sitting home with all the other eliminated teams.

edit- they could alternate between DFW, San Antonio and Lubbock.

Houston always gets screwed in this situation.
    Once a Bulldog, Always a Bulldog

Sweeny All Time Record 514-305-28

GATA - A Sweeny Tradition Since 1980

1944, 45, 46, 47, 48, 60, 61, 66, 67, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

All-State

Maney, money, money, that's all it's about..... MONEY!

All-American

The problem I see is the smaller schools who are already on a limited budget having to split the cost of a larger stadium in a bigger city.
    It just aint right. I believe the schools should still have the choice to meet somewhere in the middle.
    Last edited by Eagle 1; 10-26-2009 at 08:27 PM.
    ~Thomas Jefferson.

Letterman

If El Paso offered UIL a deal "they could not refuse" UIL would take it. This is money deal for them, just like taking over officiaitng is a money grab, plain and simple. Let the bidding wars begin!

I have a feeling it will be concentrated around Centex. (Round Rock down to San Antonio).

Designed and created by pirate44

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Volleyball, cross country, basketball, baseball, softball, track and I'm guessing golf, are all played at a "predetermined location" every year. I'm not sure I see the difference.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-American

Cool

If I made the State Title game I dont think I would mind playing in a big nice venue in a central location with other schools playing before and after to showcase the Texas Talent. Seems to me, a central location with multiple State Championship games can only be a great deal.

Junior Varsity

Default The schools would adjust

If you made it to the title game, your school would reschedule anything they had to in order to make the team ready to play. I am sure if they had to travel too far they would go up the day before the game and spend the night.

I remember watching numerous good games when the dome was still hosting playoff games. That was fun to be able to watch high quality games all in one location.

All-American

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    Volleyball, cross country, basketball, baseball, softball, track and I'm guessing golf, are all played at a "predetermined location" every year. I'm not sure I see the difference.
    I think it will actually cut down on the attendance at the state game. I'll explain.
    Usually when a team goes to the state finals, the area towns usually have fans there too.
    If the game is going to be played clear across the state people who dont usually follow the team are not going to drive that far to see the game.
    This has got to be one of the dumbest things the UIL has ever came up with.
    ~Thomas Jefferson.

Originally posted by Eagle 1
    I think it will actually cut down on the attendance at the state game. I'll explain.
    Usually when a team goes to the state finals, the area towns usually have fans there too.
    If the game is going to be played clear across the state people who dont usually follow the team are not going to drive that far to see the game.
    I don't know. I know when Sinton played for state in '01 we had fans from our surrounding area make the trek up to College Station. I know it's only a little over 4 hours, but still. If you are fan of the game and you are able, you'll go. That's just my 0.02 cents.

Letterman

Originally posted by Eagle 1
    I disagree.... I think if they have one central site people will come from all over the state to watch your team, not just your little area. The 1A game will have 3 to 4 X the people it ever had. Plus it is a neat rallying cry.... Make it to Austin, make it to SA, make it to Dallas. Sounds alot better than ... lets make it to Gladewater...

I honestly don't have a problem with it!!

Makes it much easier to arrange a trip, IMO!

I go to the state track meet in Austin every year. I book my hotel rooms a couple of months in advance.