Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Region 4 Coordinator

Default 2A Supts vote to split

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...o/6685717.html

It appears the split system, all teams either in a Di or DII district from the start of a season, has been approved by the 2A superintendents. The general consensus seems to be this means the 2A bottom number and top number both raise because now 2A can handle more teams. Does this seem logical?
    Why does this mean 2A will have more teams? Aren't they still trying to keep the 2.0 ratio in place from the smallest to largest enrollment?
    With some of the large city district not opting up, is it a given that the 3A numbers will change?
    I know it's only speculation, since its all super secret until Feb, but what do you think the impact is on 3A with 2A going to a split system?
    Your source for Region 4 Action in 2012

Blackcat1954

Default UIL Press Release

AUSTIN, TX— Conference 2A football will be divided into two divisions prior to the start of the season and the state championship football games in Conferences 1A - 4A will be played at pre-determined sites after decisions handed down by the UIL Legislative Council on Monday.

As a result of the referendum ballot, Conference 2A superintendents across the state voted to divide football brackets into two divisions (Division I and Division II) prior to the start of the season. Conference 2A superintendents voted 121-75 in favor of the rule change. The results of the referendum ballot are binding, and will take effect in the 2009-10 school year. Since 2006, Conference 1A 11-man and Conference 1A six-man football have been split into two division.

The council unanimously passed a measure to have the Conference 1A - 4A football state championships at pre-determined sites beginning in the 2010-11 school year. The UIL has determined the site for the Conference 5A state football championships since 2006, and both games are televised. Schools involved in the games will continue to make all decisions regarding the games other than the site and time of game.

In other action, the council approved a rule change to allow seventh and eighth graders to participate in summer strength and conditioning programs conducted by their school coaches. A separate amendment allowing each school or school district the ability to designate a starting and ending date for strength and conditioning programs not to exceed a six-week period during the summer was also passed.

The following items were approved by the Legislative Council on Monday:
    Adding one additional contestant in each event to the State Track and Field Meet increasing the number of contestants per event per classification to nine;
    Requiring all coaches to complete an annual UIL Rules Compliance Program (RCP) prescribed by the UIL;
    Requiring UIL member schools to use officials registered with UIL in all varsity team sport contests.

Council members rejected, tabled or took no action on the following:
    Allowing school coaches to coach their teams in the summer;
    Adding two additional teams to the playoffs in team tennis;
    Adding bowling.

The Commissioner of Education must approve amendments passed by the UIL Legislative Council before they may take effect.

I like the pre determined sites. Makes for an "Omaha" type atmosphere to the season.

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Daddy D 11
    I like the pre determined sites. Makes for an "Omaha" type atmosphere to the season.
    Yep, I agree!
    STEPHENVILLE YELLOWJACKET FOOTBALL
    STATE CHAMPS 1993, 1994, 1998, 1999, 2012, 2021

STEPHENVILLE HONEYBEE SOCCER
    STATE CHAMPS 2017, 2019

I hate the idea

Gon'na suck if you live anywhere west of the I35 corridor.

All-State

Originally posted by Trashman
    Gon'na suck if you live anywhere west of the I35 corridor.
    Definitely gonna be some miles on the buses.

All-American

Yep, not fair if a team up in the Panhandle (Bushland, Canadian) has to travel to San Antonio for state title game if they play somebody within 3 to 4 hours of SA.

ctown

Wonder if teams will go out of their way to schedule other playoff games at the State Championship sites to prep for the big game.

ctown

Also, if they split into two divisions, I had heard it was equally split with 16 districts in each?? If so, will there be two teams from each district going to the playoffs---making the state championships end on the same day?? If they take two teams from each district in each division, that would essentially add another opportunity for a school to get in. Right now all districts send 3 but would the new system send a number proportionate to 4 under the current system?? Lots of questions to be answered....but interesting. Not sure if it does alot to 3A.

Starter

When 1A split it cut the number of available playoff berths from 78 to 64. When 2A splits, the reduction should be even greater (96 to 64) because I don't think there are any 2A bye districts.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

Originally posted by ctown
    Also, if they split into two divisions, I had heard it was equally split with 16 districts in each?? If so, will there be two teams from each district going to the playoffs---making the state championships end on the same day?? If they take two teams from each district in each division, that would essentially add another opportunity for a school to get in. Right now all districts send 3 but would the new system send a number proportionate to 4 under the current system?? Lots of questions to be answered....but interesting. Not sure if it does alot to 3A.
    If the UIL fills all 32 districts, 16 Div 1 and 16 Div 2, the total number of playoff teams will increase but if there are empty districts the number will go down. The plan will include 2 teams from each district making the playoffs.

Starter

Right now, 32 districts x 3 playoff teams per district = 96 total berths.

When the split happens, 16 Division I districts + 16 Division II districts x 2 playoff teams per district = 64 berths.

And if the UIL increases the number of schools in 2A, playoff slots are going to be even harder to come by. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing -- nobody likes a 2-8 playoff team.
    24 down ... 24 to go.

I thought this would happen.
    Once a Bulldog, Always a Bulldog

Sweeny All Time Record 514-305-28

GATA - A Sweeny Tradition Since 1980

1944, 45, 46, 47, 48, 60, 61, 66, 67, 82, 83, 84, 86, 88, 89, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 99, 2000, 01, 05, 06, 08, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21

Originally posted by Twirling Time
    Right now, 32 districts x 3 playoff teams per district = 96 total berths.

When the split happens, 16 Division I districts + 16 Division II districts x 2 playoff teams per district = 64 berths.

And if the UIL increases the number of schools in 2A, playoff slots are going to be even harder to come by. Not that it's necessarily a bad thing -- nobody likes a 2-8 playoff team.
    You're right, sorry.