• Navasota

46 75.41%
  • Caldwell

15 24.59%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    rattler<>10

Default Navasota vs. Caldwell

Who wins?

I think Navasota wins again, but this will certainly be the closest game so far. I don't see it going either way by more than a TD.

Letterman

After watching the hornets last night all I have to say is what a difference a week makes. We were very sluggish coming off the bye week against Madisonville. Last night was total domination by the hornets against Rudder. We also got Nelson Scott back for last nights game and what a difference he made. He looked like he never missed a beat. The Navasota game will be interesting. I know they have alot of size on the offensive line and will out weigh us by quite a bit. Rudder had alot of size on their offensive line as well but couldn't get anything going. I'm not going to make a prediction on the game but wouldn't be surprised if Caldwell can pull it out somehow.
    Acts 4:12

All-American

wishful thinking....Navasota by at least 14
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

beastyboyz

I've seen caldwell and navasota play, both teams are great, don't really know how to call this one....
    I think its gonna come down to turnovers...

If I was Navasota, this is one of the teams I would be worried about. Caldwell has a great running game & the ability to control the clock. The Hornets will do their best to keep the high powered Rattler offense off the field. Navasota didn't appear to have alot of size on the defensive side of the ball, but they do possess plenty of speed. Look for Caldwell to run straight ahead at the Rattler defense. I don't see anybody stopping the Rattler offense, but a slow grind type effort by the Hornet offense could be enough to keep this game close.
    Welcome to the Pasture of Pain.

Originally posted by Bull's-eye
    If I was Navasota, this is one of the teams I would be worried about. Caldwell has a great running game & the ability to control the clock. The Hornets will do their best to keep the high powered Rattler offense off the field. Navasota didn't appear to have alot of size on the defensive side of the ball, but they do possess plenty of speed. Look for Caldwell to run straight ahead at the Rattler defense. I don't see anybody stopping the Rattler offense, but a slow grind type effort by the Hornet offense could be enough to keep this game close.
    See, I don't quite see the same things you do. Sure, Caldwell will run at the Rattlers, they do to everybody. They will always have success running the ball because they execute well and run that type of offense that controls the clock. Now talking about the Rattlers, people say that they have a high powered offense. The offense centers around Kye Hildreth. I think that without him, we would be having a lot tougher time putting up points on the board. I think that defense is what is making this Rattler team tick. Caldwell has the defensive ability to hold us back like Bellville did. All it takes is aggressive penetration by the defense and a secondary that can cover for a few seconds, and Navasota has trouble. What Caldwell is going to have to think about, turnover argument going without saying, is that you can't run the ball up the middle of the Rattler D all night long. Coach Hoppers will put in the big boys on the offensive line when that happens. If they played defense full time, the Rattler defense would be hands down the toughest in the state. Big size and strong physical linemen matched with fast ball hawking linebackers and a hard hitting secondary would give any team fits. But since it is not that way, the middle is the place to attack. They will have to run to the outside and find a way to keep the outside linebackers and speedy ends blocked when the sweeps and options are called up.

Last year hinged on a two point conversion, which was a toss sweep to Nelson Scott that was stuffed at the sideline on the 2 yard line by Rattler defensive end Deondre King, who is still defensive end. Caldwell had some trouble running on the Rattlers in the middle quarters of last year's game. I am sure that they know what it will take to improve, especially in front of a friendly crowd. But they didn't have to deal with #12 on offense last year either.

Navasota 36, Caldwell 35.

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by Old Tiger
    wishful thinking....Navasota by at least 14
    Given that Rockdale "barely got past" Madisonville, it'll be more interesting to see if they fall any in the Region III poll.

Caldwell by 15

Strength in numbers. HOMECOMING
    Last edited by cntdwn; 10-03-2009 at 07:30 PM.

snakebite

The Caldwell/ Navasota game has been a game for the records the past few years. Don't forget Caldwell beat Navasota back in the 2004 playoff game in overtime when the Rattlers were ranked #5. Not that that has anything to do with this game but Navasota cannot get big headed ever in this game. Caldwell is going to come hard and nothing would be better for them then to beat Navasota. Both teams are going to come in headstrong and ready, but management of the clock and turnovers will be key in this battle.

Junior Varsity

Always a great game between the Rattlers and Hornets. Looking forward to it.

Too bad we can't get Brandal Jackson a 5th year of eligibility!!!

Letterman

It's only Saturday and I'm already anxious and excited for this game. It will either be a very looooong week or blow by fast. Here's to both teams coming in healthy, H1N1 held at bay and both teams bringing their best game on Friday...because that's what it will take for both teams. One of the nice things...I guess nice is whimpy on a football board but I appreciate that Navasota and Caldwell have mutual respect for each other...will play hard on the field and then go on.

Y'all know that I'm a big Rattlers fan...except for this week. My good friend and co-worker from Navasota and I spend much time supporting both the Hornets and Rattlers. We go to each other's games on off weeks, have daily football discussions and text scores back and forth during our respective games. Not this week. It's "bring it on" week for both of us. We may support each other and love each other's families but it is football and we 100% support our own respective teams.

I welcome the Rattlers to come play at our house. We don't have the facilities that Navasota has but we have what it takes to have a game...a field, goal posts and fans in full force. We may not have the speed of the Rattlers...but we aren't bad and we know how to play our game plan well. I'm confident in my Hornets and know there will be a upset in the home of the SWARM.

This football mom can't wait for Friday.
    CALDWELL

Splish! Splash! The muddier the better!
    2009 District 24-3A Undefeated District Champs

Caldwell will be Caldwell, running it down your throat. This year's Rattler defense, IMO, is stronger than 2008. And just as the game played out in 08 between the Hornets and the Rattlers, this year's game will probably not be any different unless the defense comes to play. If my memory serves me right, the Rattlers went down early to the Hornets 21-7 in the first half. Only to see the Rattlers shut out the Hornet running attack the entire second half until the last 30 seconds. At that time is when the Hornets caught a touchdown in the back of the endzone for a touchdown. Then, the Hornets elected to go for 2, losing the game 28-27.

I do believe that it will take Navasota's defense a quarter or so to make adjustments before the defense really begins to shine. Hopefully the offense will be ready to play.

I see this game being close early, but, too much offense from the Rattlers may dig the Hornets a hole that their slot t offense will not be able to get them out of.

Navasota by 13.

*** Ejected Player ***

I heard the Rudder-Navasota game was a lot tighter than Caldwell-Rudder. The Swarm had subs in most of the second half. Not sure about Rattlers.

To win a title, this game is crucial, but I still think the Rockdale-Caldwell game will be even bigger because it will determine who may get what playoff seed and Caldwell doesn't want WOS again

Originally posted by cntdwn
    I heard the Rudder-Navasota game was a lot tighter than Caldwell-Rudder. The Swarm had subs in most of the second half. Not sure about Rattlers.

To win a title, this game is crucial, but I still think the Rockdale-Caldwell game will be even bigger because it will determine who may get what playoff seed and Caldwell doesn't want WOS again
    The Rattlers had subs in in the fourth. It wasn't a great showing by Navasota, and it was a surprising showing by Rudder. I really thought Rudder would give the Hornets a game defensively, but I guess I was right about Navasota not being a super power offensively. Something that we have all learned on this board is that you can't put to much into the common opponents argument. A good example is the Big 12 last year, with TT beating UT, UT beating OU, and OU absolutely thrashing TT. As far as the current argument, Caldwell is predominantly a misdirection running team. Navasota is a balanced spread team that has to pass to open up the run. Rudder's defense was great against the pass, but not so hot against the run. Also, Rudder was able to score in the first half after a big fumble return gave them good field position. The other score was a 60 yard drive early in the 4th.

Bottom line, as anybody will tell you, it is all about matchups, individually and as a team. Bellville may matchup better with Caldwell because their defense is more suited to stop a rushing attack. Navasota may have fits with a team that can air the ball out, but clamp down on a team that runs at them. You never know what will happen. I still don't predict a blowout either way. I think it will be close, but I will go with my Rattlers because I am confident they can go back on the road against a great team and pick up where they left off against a great team.