Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sealy

Default Sealy

Sealy won back-to-back state titles in 94,95,96 and 97. Why have they never been a force in the playoffs since?

(I am a N.Texas HS football fan. I don't presume to know much about S. Texas football, but I do like to hear about the stories and histories of successful teams like Sealy for everyone's mutual enjoyment. I hope this thread is accepted in that spirit, as this is my only intent in puttting it up).

All-American

Cool

I honestly think they had a downturn in talent. They are on the upswing though. Same thing happened to Thorndale.

All-American

Talent, coaching , momentum, move ins, winning tradition: probably a mix of all of the above.

Practice Squad

Back in some of those years,Coach Mills had some pull with the authorities. Discipline on the team was second to winning. Now that has changed the last several years and they are in the process of getting control and discipline back in order. Should be a team to reckon with in the near future,if not now.
    Learn just one thing everyday. It may prove to be valuable in the future.

Gators17

They have a lot of talent and potential to make some noise in the playoffs this year, but with D25 being the gauntlet of a district that it is, they must first worry about getting into the playoffs. This years team is one of the best teams in a good while there in Sealy so we'll see how it plays out.

Footballhudini

Default Re: Sealy

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    Sealy won back-to-back state titles in 94,95,96 and 97. Why have they never been a force in the playoffs since?
    they weren't any GOOD

Default Re: Re: Sealy

Originally posted by Footballhudini
    they weren't any GOOD

Now that's just cold, hudini.

Junior Varsity

Those 4-Peat teams were an extraordinary combination of talent, coaching and mental toughness. People forget that Sealy was also in the finals in '99 and lost to a good Commerce team after Sealy's best RB came down with turf toe in the first quarter at that dump, Texas Stadium. When Mills left to go to Permian, most of the staff changed and the program just wasn't the same. Mark Faldyn is a class guy and a great OL coach, but never seemed happy as the HC. Demographic makeup of the ISD has under-gone significant change during the period after Mills left and the talent level suffered as the turnout for football dwindled. I'm not close to the program anymore, so I'm not sure how Coach Mitchell has turned the program around but he and his staff seem to have rekindled interest in football and has the team playing very well.
    Remember - this is still just a game played by kids...

Footballhudini

pretty good this year

if they can just squeak out of district then the sealy stock will soar until round 4

All-District

The post regarding demographics is correct. They are changing very quickly in that school district. The lower grades have a high percentage of hispanic students with fewer black and white students. If this trend continues you will a talent vacume.

Like the previous post said.... lost in '99 to a Commerece team that was well prepared. Sealy however should have won the game hands down. Since then the closest team to make a run came in '01 ( and they should have made a run) but slipped up and lost to Newton. I don't know much about the current coaching staff, but with the talent coming up.... Sealy should be ready to make another run.

All-District

Always seemed like Sealy would get a good move in or 4 or 5 during those years. Also, there were several times when athletes were able to "get out" just in time for the games.
    Last edited by XMan; 09-17-2009 at 06:09 AM.

BTownVBall3

The most significant of those who got out "just in time") was RB Fred Smith, I believe. Probably one of the most talented players in the backfield that I've ever seen. It's a shame that he never was able to put his life together. He broke Eric Dickersons records if I do recall. . I'd say that a pretty huge accomplishment.

All-District

It makes it alot easier to keep the statistics when the running back has one of those gps tracking devices on their ankle. They were able to get his yards carried down to the nearest inch!!!!

"Move in's" now go to Katy which is just down the road.