Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Storied football programs?

When you think of a certain area of the state, what are some of the 3A teams in that area that you think of as perennial football powers? These are teams that year in and year out seem to epitomize football in that area. These are the teams that you would mention if you were compiling a history of storied programs for a particular area. Here goes mine:

East Texas: Daingerfield, Commerce

South Texas: Sinton, Cuero, Sealy

Metroplex: Celina and Pilot Point (made their fame in 2A but don't want to leave them out), Southlake Carrol (moved on to bigger and better things), certainly Everman is building a reputation.

North Texas/Panhandle: Childress, Vernon, Perryton, Muleshoe

West Texas: Breckenridge, Ballinger, Denver City Crane (moved down of late), Sonora (moved down also)
    [img][/img]

North Texas: Childress

West Texas: Would have to be Breck...

East: Dangerfield

South: I'll have to give someone besides Cuero... Port Isabel... And they're going to be adding some chapters to their story soon...

In the Panhandle/North Texas I guess I'd have to go with Pilot Point. The Bearcats have been real good for a real long time.

In West Texas I'm going to go with Breckenridge. Don't they have more playoff appearances than any other 3A team in the state?

East Texas I'd give Daingerfield the edge over Jasper, Commerce, Newton and new power Atlanta.

In Central Texas... I'd have to give it to Cameron.

As far as South Texas goes... I can't think of anyone with more tradition than Cuero. Port I and Sinton are both great, but neither has that State Title. Hondo also has an awesome tradition, but they haven't been playing at quite the level of the teams of their heyday back in the 40's, 50's and 60's. But Hondo would be the closest, in my mind, to having as much tradition as Cuero.

<small>[ May 19, 2003, 04:53 PM: Message edited by: big daddy russ ]</small>
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

Ahh big daddy russ, thanks for bringing up the CenTex... Cameron for sure..

I knew that there would be alot that I have forgotten. I should have included a Centex category. I had forgotten about PI and Cameron. Also Sweetwater out west has been good since W.T. Stapler was there in the mid eighties. I don't know if they had much before then. They garnered most of their fame in 4A until the last couple of years. I also forgot about Hondo. I think that they have more playoff appearences than Breck. I know that there are even more that haven't been mentioned yet.
    [img][/img]

All-American

Not only will I go by regions, I'll even go a step further and add as many classifications as I can.

West Texas/Panhandle
    5A Odessa Permian (Gotta love the Mojo Magic)
    4A Stephenville (Always good, but not sure to consider them WEST Texas, or Metroplex??)
    3A Childress
    2A Sonora (at least I think they're 2A now)

Metroplex
    5A Dallas Carter
    5A Southlake Carroll (did most of the damage in their 3A years, though)
    4A Highland Park
    3A Celina and Pilot Point (majority of their fame came during their 2A years)

East Texas
    5A Tyler John Tyler
    3A Daingerfield

Centex
    5A Austin Westlake
    3A Cameron

Houston Area
    5A Houston Yates
    4A La Marque
    4A Bay City
    3A Sealy

South Texas
    5A Converse Judson
    4A Corpus Christi Calallen
    4A Gregory Portland
    3A Cuero
    3A Sinton
    3A Hondo

Rio Grande Valley
    5A Harlingen
    4A Edcouch Elsa
    3A Port Isabel

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004

Hondo??? eek! HONDO??? eek! You are seriously picking hondo as a power in south texas??? I'm sorry but to me, thats laughable. yes they do have SOME talent, but whatever talent they do have, is at least minimal. I'm not saying bandera because next year is going to be a rebuilding year for us with new coaches and smaller bodied players, but i certainly wouldnt say hondo. thats REALLY picking an underdog and i admire your courage for being so bold... wink

<small>[ May 19, 2003, 08:20 PM: Message edited by: DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004 ]</small>

Drumline, the topic is storied programs. Hondo used to be pretty good way back when. TFINT, in South Texas, you forgot 2A Refugio(1 state championship in 3A).

Designed and created by pirate44

All-American

sinton66:
    Drumline, the topic is storied programs. Hondo used to be pretty good way back when. TFINT, in South Texas, you forgot 2A Refugio(1 state championship in 3A).
    You're right, I completely forgot about Refugio in 2A, my bad. Also, I failed to mention Van Vleck........i'd love to see if anyone here on the downlow knows anything about Van Vleck.

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004

yeah thats true... forgot what the topic name is but okay... yeah like way back in the day hondo was good. the last time my dad can name when hondo was pretty decent was the 50s, 60, and 70s. they USED to have good records and stuff, but not anymore. so yeah you're right 66.

Know some History, Hondo is a storied program...

BULLDOGFAN

I know some history and exactly when was Hondo a powerhouse? Medina Valley, Judson, Churchhill...yes but Hondo?

you're an idiot... here's a list of Hondo's playoff appearances:

1921,32,34,37,39,41,42,45,46,51,52,54,55,56,59,62, 63,65,66,68,69,71,73,74,75,77,78,80,81,82,83,84,86 ,90,94,96,98,99,2000,01,02...

DRuMLiNeSPYKe2004

okay lets not get all up in arms about hondo... so we know they have a past of going to playoffs. but there are a lot of factors as to why they went into playoffs. you just simply gotta ask yourself what makes a team go into playoffs? is it the district, the team itself, the talent, i mean the list goes on and on. How far did they get into the playoffs, what was their record over all, and so on and so forth. there are so many deciding factors its not even funny. so we're agreed that hondo HAS had an extensive storied past *but the future isnt looking so bright... *

Nope, those are not looked at as factors... The fact of the matter is they busted their butts to get where they wanted to be and they got there, nothing else matters... Jealousy is envy...