Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7 on 7 Football

All-American

Default 7 on 7 Football

Why do they have to do 7 on 7 during the earlier summer, this is still Baseball Season. Why can't they wait til August so the players would be ready for the season. I am not a football hater, my son plays football also but seems to me this would benefit your team going into the real season.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

August is when 2-a-days start. IMO, that prepares a team a lot more for the "real" season than 7-7 does, in most cases.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Default Re: 7 on 7 Football

Originally posted by hookandladder
    Why do they have to do 7 on 7 during the earlier summer, this is still Baseball Season. Why can't they wait til August so the players would be ready for the season. I am not a football hater, my son plays football also but seems to me this would benefit your team going into the real season.
    If you qualify for the state tourney it comes right up against the start of 2 a days. So in essence, with spring workouts running into 7 on 7 running into 2 a days the game never stops. And while 7 on 7 is not an indicator of your team as a whole it does allow you to work on coverage skills on d and on decision making on offense for your qb plus it is all running which keeps up your conditioning. Celina plays a couple of teams in some tournaments
    for the varsity so first and second string get lots of work. We looked good last night and won all the varsity stuff. I did not watch the 3 jv teams. had other stuff to do.

We seek the grail.
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis
    for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate
    from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

All-American

Default Re: Re: 7 on 7 Football

Originally posted by BILLYFRED0000
    If you qualify for the state tourney it comes right up against the start of 2 a days. So in essence, with spring workouts running into 7 on 7 running into 2 a days the game never stops. And while 7 on 7 is not an indicator of your team as a whole it does allow you to work on coverage skills on d and on decision making on offense for your qb plus it is all running which keeps up your conditioning. Celina plays a couple of teams in some tournaments
    for the varsity so first and second string get lots of work. We looked good last night and won all the varsity stuff. I did not watch the 3 jv teams. had other stuff to do.
    Most smaller schools kids have to play multiple sports and it just seems like football is now taking up most of the summer also. I wonder how the FB coach would feel if some of his varsity players were playing select baseball the same time football season was going on. The FB coaches are putting to much pressure on kids to choose football over other sports, let the kids play the sport that is in season.

Default Re: Re: Re: 7 on 7 Football

Most smaller schools kids have to play multiple sports and it just seems like football is now taking up most of the summer also. I wonder how the FB coach would feel if some of his varsity players were playing select baseball the same time football season was going on. The FB coaches are putting to much pressure on kids to choose football over other sports, let the kids play the sport that is in season.
    I think that is always a problem. We have two boys that are all state baseball and all state backs. They do not play select baseball. I know that it is an issue but it is not a new issue. My son wants to play football and fall soccer. I am not sure how we are going to do it yet. But he is only 7 so it is not that important.
    But I would put it on him to make a choice at a later date. Which is more important to him.

We seek the grail.

With both select baseball and 7 on 7 football being strictly voluntary, it seems to me that players have the choice of participating in their preference, or neither. (And IMO, neither is really "in season".) We have kids that are involved in both. If baseball conflicts, they miss 7 on 7. Last week it gave our backup QB a chance to play the whole game.

Even though 7 on 7 is strictly for fun with us, I'd certainly rather have my sons there than parked in front of the tv.

Starter

Default Re: Re: Re: 7 on 7 Football

All-American

You obviously do not have a son that plays both sports. Never been to a 7 on 7 game, I would think it benefits a passing team more.

You obviously do not have a son that plays both sports. Never been to a 7 on 7 game, I would think it benefits a passing team more.
    Celina has won the state cup twice. First time it was up against the big schools. We were all enjoying watching schools like SL Carrol ask "who is Celina". Point is, we pass 30 percent of the time. It has definetly helped us.

We seek the grail.

Starter

Default Re: Re: 7 on 7 Football

That league is weak I think Celina's Sixth grade team could beat some of those teams. lol But it gets the younger guys some experience.
    Last edited by marler1972; 06-24-2008 at 10:49 AM.

Starter

It also helps the secondary and the linebackers

Starter

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: 7 on 7 Football

I think that is always a problem. We have two boys that are all state baseball and all state backs. They do not play select baseball. I know that it is an issue but it is not a new issue. My son wants to play football and fall soccer. I am not sure how we are going to do it yet. But he is only 7 so it is not that important.
    But I would put it on him to make a choice at a later date. Which is more important to him.
    They play baseball during the summer though.

No I do not. That doesn't make me clueless. We do have kids that do, and if there's a conflict, they're either late to 7 on 7 or they miss. The same goes for select/summer league basketball. (And no, I don't have basketball players either.)

We've had the games vs Leander HS for years. And imagine this, but we have run the same offense "in season" for years, which involves very little passing. Our kids are out there having fun, defense is working on their skills to defend AGAINST all the passing teams, the team gets together for football (albeit "pretend") and lots of kids get the "play" positions they would never have a chance at "in season".

I don't go to watch because I love 7-7. I go because I love to watch my kids, even though most of them don't belong to me.

RedWhiteBlue

Who cares about baseball anyway?

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    I don't go to watch because I love 7-7. I go because I love to watch my kids, even though most of them don't belong to me.
    Please, please don't get maudling! Is that a real word?
    T-Shirt Fan By Choice and First to Admit It! Will wear a new t-shirt in 2018 I'm sure.

Ronnie Houston