All-American

Post A Question on Football Rules

A football player is running for two points after a touchdown. He sees he is about to be tackled short of the goal line so he fumbles (actually pushes the ball forward) so that it rolls into the endzone where an offensive lineman can fall on it for 2 points. What is the rule regarding this? Does the team get two points or is a penalty called on the offensive team resulting in a penalty and replay of the extra point or points? Or is the play ruled dead at the point the player "fumbled" the ball and no points allowed and then we go to the kickoff?

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

*** Ejected Player ***

The team is awarded the two points. However, if the defense picks it up and runs it back, then they are awarded the two points.
    J2K

It depends on whether the refs rule the ball a fumble or a lateral. More or less a judgment call. If the back is past the line of scrimmage and pushes it forward, it's called an illegal pass. If he can disguise it well enough, though, that's the old fumble-rooski.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

BigBrother70

Rule 8 3 2 d 5

The try ends before a change of team possesion, a team A player fumbles and the ball is caught or recovered by any team A player other than the fumbler.
    There is no team A score

In laymans terms, only the guy who fumbles may advance the ball
    We call it the 4th down fumble rule, applies on tries also.

Chris Hart

BigBrother70:
    Rule 8 3 2 d 5

The try ends before a change of team possesion, a team A player fumbles and the ball is caught or recovered by any team A player other than the fumbler.
    There is no team A score

In laymans terms, only the guy who fumbles may advance the ball
    We call it the 4th down fumble rule, applies on tries also.
    That's what I thought BigBrother70.

whtfbplaya

Lightbulb

Right big brother: intentional or not the fumble can only be advanced by the fumbling player. Although even if it is recoverd by a lineman or anyone on O for that matter, it is not a successful try and they do not get to try again.