Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    *** Ejected Player ***

Default Tiger Woods, the best ever.....

Yes!

PPHSfan

Best modern day golfer ever.

But there were others before him that dominated the game as well.

Wonder how good Jack Ben or Byron would have been with Tiger's bag of clubs thirty years ago.

Junior Varsity

Read a story a while back of a pro golfer that played a round with every piece of equipment from 1970. The guy was in shock it was so bad. Said the golf ball felt like mush when he hit with a percimmon wood.

Regardless, I grew up with Jack Nicklaus, and forever have thought him to be the best. Some people say Bobby Jones, and i think he retired at some ungodly young age.

But i gotta say, Tiger was born to play and he does things with a golf ball that no other person can do. Not to mention the fact that when he walks onto the course the first thing all the other golfers do is crap their pants. When you think you've lost before you start, well, i guess you have.
    "Dyin' ain't much of a living, Boy"-Josey Wales

GreenMachine

NO...not yet.

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by GreenMachine
    NO...not yet.
    You have to pick 3 of the top golfers of all time, would Tiger be one?

PPHSfan

I would say he is definitely in the top 5 or 6 all time, and is working his way into the top 3.

Top of all time. No one has dominated their era as consistently as TW
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

PPHSfan

Originally posted by injuredinmelee
    Top of all time. No one has dominated their era as consistently as TW
    Were you even alive in the 60's ?

All-American

Originally posted by PPHSfan
    Best modern day golfer ever.

But there were others before him that dominated the game as well.

Wonder how good Jack Ben or Byron would have been with Tiger's bag of clubs thirty years ago.
    That is true. But the other side of it is how dominant Jack, Ben, and Byron would have been against the # of quality players in the field as there are today. It's one of those arguments that no one will ever win. It's like who is the better hitter between Joe Dimagio and Barry Bonds, Jim Brown and L.T. , Butkus or the other L.T.

Originally posted by PPHSfan
    Were you even alive in the 60's ?
    i assume you were and had obviously followed golf religiously?

just because I dont agree with you, does that make me wrong?
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

jlg043

Originally posted by injuredinmelee
    i assume you were and had obviously followed golf religiously?

just because I dont agree with you, does that make me wrong?
    its opinion based so no one is wrong but in my opinion he is the best!

No, not yet. I'd put him in the top 5 though
    Palestine Wildcats
    Season Over
    Overall 7-4) 19-3A (4-1)
    Texas Longhorns
    At Baylor
    Overall: (8-3) Big 12: (7-1)
    Pittsburgh Steelers
    Vs Miami
    Overall: (5-7) AFC North (2-2)

My take on Tiger is that by the time he retires, he will have become the greatest athlete of any sport in history. NO ONE has dominated any sport the way he has dominated golf. And he is only 32 or something like that. You can say look at Jack and Ben and Arnie and say if they had this and if they had that they would have been better. But the thing is, you can't compare that. You can't honestly compare a wood wood and a metal one. You just can't. Plus, on top of that, with all the new technology, the game is more competitive. When EVERYONE has access to cutting edge clubs that will give you more spin or more distance, or balls that will roll a certain way, it puts most players on a level field. Then it's up to the individual players basic skill to determine who is the best. And Tiger has the most skill. Obviously. When he is done with his career, however far away that may be, he will have dominated golf like no one has ever dominated a sport. Not like Joe Montana in football, or Michael Jordan in basketball, or Babe Ruth in baseball. No one. Just my take on it. Don't bash me too bad.

There's only ONE Oklahoma!

Tiger is to golf, what Jordan was to basketball. The best ever to play the game. They forever changed the game for the better, both on and off the playing surfaces. Its not just simply how well they play, but it also has to do with how well they handle themselves away from those games. Barry Bonds could have possibly done the same, but he is such a butt head which makes him so completely unlikeable. We love to hate him, but most of us really like Tiger and Jordan for who they are as men as well as how they managed to play their games, usually at consistantly higher levels than their best competition. Dont get me wrong. They are a long way from perfect, but certainly no farther from it than most of us. But at least in one respect, they have come a lot closer than anyone else has.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
    Benjamin Franklin, 1759

“Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not.”
    -Thomas Jefferson-

Tiger has better clubs, but I highly doubt the courses back then were as hard as they are now or 7400 yards long

I am sometimes mistaken, but I am never wrong.

People who buys Macs are stupid.