Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-American

Default Interesting Enrollment Facts

Note: This is a compiled list from all of those who competed in the 3a state championships.

LH was smaller than Gilmer, Pleasanton, Navasota, Carthage, and Robinson. *No school LH played in the playoffs had a smaller enrollment.

Celina was smaller than China Spring, Snyder, Pittsburg, West, Emory Rains and Glen Rose. *No school Celina played in the playoffs had a smaller enrollment

Gilmer was smaller than Roosevelt, Abilene Wylie, Mabank, and Liberty-Eylau. *Only one school Gilmer played in the playoffs was smaller than Gilmer and that was the division 1 state champions LH.

China Spring was smaller than Cuero, La Vega, and Kirbyville. *Only three schools China Spring faced had smaller enrollements in Rockdale, Westood, and the division II state champions Celina.

IMO enrollment does not matter as much as one would think and I think the need for two divisions because of enrollment is a pointless process.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

so by looking at this then which ever school, Liberty Hill or Celina has the smaller enrollment that school would win...haha

LET'S KICK SHELL
    COWABUNGA

F.A.N.T.O.M. Physician and Speech Writer

All-American

Cool

Enrollment does matter, period. If you look at the programs that are on top over years and years of study. Most if not all are at the upper end of their classification. Sure there will be exceptions, one is South Lake Carroll, but enrollment does matter. 3a will have a vast makeup this time around I am sure. Going to be interesting to see the exact number from top to bottom, but if you are a large school in your division, the better off you are.

thewyliefan

im going with go blue, its not as big a deal as some people want it to be

All-American

Enrollment does matter.
    Think about it. Let's say you have 35-40 more guys out from soph. to senior than another school.
    That will help anybody out. You've got more athletes to choose from. Probably able to suit out players that will only play offense or defense, etc...

All-American

Originally posted by VWG
    Enrollment does matter.
    Think about it. Let's say you have 35-40 more guys out from soph. to senior than another school.
    That will help anybody out. You've got more athletes to choose from. Probably able to suit out players that will only play offense or defense, etc...
    Royse City and Hutto have 4a numbers.

Hutto did not make playoffs.
    Royse City only made it to the second round and got beat by a school who is smaller. They also barely squeeked by Wakeland who got destroyed by Celina in district play.

All-American

Originally posted by Go Blue

Royse City only made it to the second round and got beat by a school who is smaller. They also barely squeeked by Wakeland who got destroyed by Celina in district play.
    That's two, keep them coming.
    Look at the playoff teams in most districts. Clyde, Sweetwater, Wylie... who got left out Breckenridge and Comanche. Smaller schools.
    Canyon made the playoffs... big enrollment. Burkburnett and Graham... over 700 kids for Graham and Burk was just under 3A cutoff last realignment. Decatur made the playoffs again... big enrollment.
    Take the smallest schools in 3A and see how many made the playoffs. Bigger schools will come out on top. Run the numbers.

All-American

Originally posted by VWG
    That's two, keep them coming.
    Look at the playoff teams in most districts. Clyde, Sweetwater, Wylie... who got left out Breckenridge and Comanche. Smaller schools.
    Canyon made the playoffs... big enrollment. Burkburnett and Graham... over 700 kids for Graham and Burk was just under 3A cutoff last realignment. Decatur made the playoffs again... big enrollment.
    Take the smallest schools in 3A and see how many made the playoffs. Bigger schools will come out on top. Run the numbers.
    Anthony, the smallest 3a school with 228.5 students, made the playoffs.

Cameron Yoe made the playoffs and they were the smallest team in the district. Taylor did not make the playoffs and they were the second largest team in the district behind Hutto who also did not make the playoffs.

Colombus was the second smallest team in it's district. West Columbia is the largest team in that district and they failed to make the playoffs.

Lytle was the smallest team in their district and advanced to the second round.

Palacious was the smallest team in their district and made playoffs.

Emory Rains was the was the second smallest team in their district and made the playoffs. Quinland Ford, second largest in the district, did not make the playoffs.

Last edited by Old Tiger; 12-25-2007 at 04:05 PM.

All-American

Cool

There are exceptions, but you have to look at Anthony's district, come on man! That district is WEAK!!!! Taylor should make the playoffs every year in 3a with their numbers. Hutto should as well. How good will Hutto be with 3a numbers in 4a? Cameron has a tradition, the others do not. Hutto does not have a tradition in football, year in and year out like Cameron does. Wylie is a large school as is Canyon. Canyon is flourishing in 3a as is Burkburnett(could not do much in 4a). Wakeland is a young school, numbers are only going to get bigger and they may not be able to adjust to the growth. Celina is a football factory, numbers do not matter it is the quality of athletes there. Other places numbers do matter. Andrews, big 3a, make the playoffs. Snyder same difference, they would be average 4a's. I could go on and on, but of course everyone has their opinion. Has nothing to do with Div. 1 or 2, has to do with numbers period. Comanche, dominated in 2a, CAN NOT IN 3A. Alto, huge 1a school, back to back STate titles that they could not get in 2a. Tatum, same difference in 2a as they are a perennial power in 2a, NOT 3a. What has elgin or manor done in 4a? IF they were still 3a, look out.

All-American

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
    difference in 2a as they are a perennial power in 2a, NOT 3a. What has elgin or manor done in 4a? IF they were still 3a, look out.
    Manor and Elgin are in the weak AISD district. Last time Manor was 3a they finished with only one or two wins.

With all this being said and yalls theory of enrollment meaning so much then how can teams with smaller enrollments even make playoffs especially if they are in the lower tier of enrollments.
    Last edited by Old Tiger; 12-25-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Starter

Originally posted by Go Blue

For what it's worth, Frisco Wakeland has somewhere between 1500-1600 students this year. Not sure about Royse City. RC may actually have been the smaller school in that matchup.

All-District

Lamarque ran off a couple in a row when 4a was not divided, then came the division and they were always DIV II and it made no difference, they just won easier.

Tatum was 3a Div II in 05, then 2a Div 1 last year, then got popped by Farmersville this year,.

South Lake is a perennial DIV II 5A, Last year they moved up to Div I and sent Trinity packing in the first round.

Crawford is a tiny 2A and yet beat Celina,

It happens all the time and is not the exception to the rule.

I can dig some farther but the results will be the same.

What happened to Gainsville? Big numbers, but Celina beats them while Celina was 2A.

I think you will find it is success=strength of program, and has nothing to do with numbers until it is many hundred different.
    Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a week. Teach a man to fish and you can't get him to go to work.

Nikiski-A drinking town with a fishing problem

All-District

Originally posted by Johnny Utah
    Enrollment does matter, period. If you look at the programs that are on top over years and years of study. Most if not all are at the upper end of their classification. Sure there will be exceptions, one is South Lake Carroll, but enrollment does matter. 3a will have a vast makeup this time around I am sure. Going to be interesting to see the exact number from top to bottom, but if you are a large school in your division, the better off you are.
    I will make a small wager, I don't care how the realignment goes next time. When the smoke clears in 3A you are going to be looking at LH and Celina being right in the thick of it when it is all done.

Neither will be anywhere near the top of their Classification.
    Give a man a fish and it will feed him for a week. Teach a man to fish and you can't get him to go to work.

Nikiski-A drinking town with a fishing problem

All-American

Cool

You dudes do not seem to understand. Celina is a PROVEN program, would not matter what numbers they had, they would compete in any classification. Same as South Lake Carroll. You are right, tradition, strength of program does matter. BUT, SIZE helps all those others that do not have STRENGTH. Are you telling me that Pilot Point, once a POWER in 2a is the same in 3a? I will wager with you anytime. Been around this realignment a long time. SIZE for the most part, not always, equals success. Long term programs such as Crawford, can win in 1a or 2a due to their tradition and GENE POOL, just like Celina. Others are not soooo lucky. LH was a doormat at one time. They have won a couple of state titles, are they a perennial super 3a power, maybe so, and you are correct, only time will tell. Everything, NOT ALWAYS, but for the most part, cycles in 3a. Manor was a POWER IN 2A. Ever hear of Derek Spears??? They got into 3a, took some time, but they started having success, went to 4a and they are struggling again. EVERMAN, 3a = State title in Football and Basketball, 4a???? Still waiting!!! Now, when Brownwood and Fredricksburg drop, you can say I told you so!!!!
    I tell you what Go Blue, when you get that first coaching job, find the smallest school in class 3a that has not had much tradition and see if you can win. I will square off with you in the school with the largest enrollment in the same classification. See my point?
    Navasota should win in 3a. They did when they were in 3a before, 35-0 in basketball in 1990!!! Went 4a and did not have as much success. THey are back in 3a and from what I hear have some very talented classes to make another run in all sports!!
    Waco Connally, not much success in 4a, 3a is another story. They can compete with most in 3a.
    Andrews: Do you think they want to be in a district with.... Frenship, Big Spring, Estacado, Plainview, Lakeview? Or with their current 3a district? Ha !!!
    Here is another one for you.... Would be interesting to find out how many of the players on this last Celina State Title team were actually in school at Celina the entire way through, K-12. Seems to me the better programs, especially those around a metropolitan area attract athletes and their families. How many of Cuero's players were in Cuero in the 2nd grade?
    I bet you money most of Andrews, Sweetwaters, Wylies kids were there the entire way through. Burk might be the exception due to the Military.
    Last edited by Johnny Utah; 12-25-2007 at 08:00 PM.

All-American

I don't think that there is a clear winner to this argument. However, the bottom line can not be argued: The larger the school, the larger the potential pool of athletes. I call a lot of
    2a, 3a and 4a games. There are really good teams at all levels but when you walk into Salado one week and into Cove the next, you have to admit that the numbers give Cove huge potential up side.

After that it goes to tradition, coaching and training.