Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tromboneking

Default Why is Celina so good?

Congrats to all state champs. The question I have is this. Celina is a dynasty here...and have been so good for so long...why? What separates them from everyone else? They never seem to have a down year.

All-American

The reason any program is good. They run the offense and defense of varsity since Pee wee football. All the kids buy into their system and trust one another and also the coaching staff.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

All-American

they've had down years

their first two year stint in 3A 2002-2003

they were only 11-1 and 10-2

it was horrible
    Go Bobcats/Longhorns/Cowboys (and Mavs/Rangers/Stars and the Duke Blue Devils)

1998-2001 JBC Pigskin Prep
    2001-2006 TxPreps
    2006-2015 3ADownlow / Texas Downlow

USMC-Iraq 2005-2006

Tromboneking

hehe that is pretty funny...They must build it from the bottom up. It is amazing the consistancy...Southlake Carroll is the same..good every year..

Practice Squad

Why are they good? Because the players on their teams are very talented for 2A or 3A level football. Bottom line.

Originally posted by Rocket Dad
    Why are they good? Because the players on their teams are very talented for 2A or 3A level football. Bottom line.
    i think its the system brings out the BEST from avg to a few great players and that can be enough to beat a team with better athletes. the consistency is amazing.
    I’m kinda a big deal.

*** Ejected Player *** SNYDER325TIGERS's Avatar

Well a man from Celina told me that they recruit there players from towns all around Celina.

All-American

Success breeds success. Simple thinking I know but it's true.

Practice Squad

To preface my remarks: Been here since 1973...have been to most all of Celina games at most levels...attend practice most of the time year around...have attended 7 on 7 since it has started. We win because: 1. same system is installed and adhered to at all levels. 2. coaching staff has a high degree of stability, longivity, and loyality. 3. very small amount of turn over in coaching staff. 4. tremendous support from community. 5. hard work and dedication from players for 11 months out of the year. AND THE TWO MAIN REASON ARE: STRONG CHRISTAIN leadership from all of our coaches and we have the best offensive and defensive line coach in the state. Bill Elliott (who will take over when Butch decides to retire) will always have a great line. Our games are won on the line of scrimmage and on defense. We generally always graduate most of our offensive and defensive lineman, but we always have twice as many ready to compete for the positions left open. FINALLY, and this statement is not meant to be boastful, just factual (since I have been here) In Celina TRADITION NEVER GRADUATES, and we very seldom rebuild, we RELOAD.

All-American

Originally posted by celinaorange
    To preface my remarks: Been here since 1973...have been to most all of Celina games at most levels...attend practice most of the time year around...have attended 7 on 7 since it has started. We win because: 1. same system is installed and adhered to at all levels. 2. coaching staff has a high degree of stability, longivity, and loyality. 3. very small amount of turn over in coaching staff. 4. tremendous support from community. 5. hard work and dedication from players for 11 months out of the year. AND THE TWO MAIN REASON ARE: STRONG CHRISTAIN leadership from all of our coaches and we have the best offensive and defensive line coach in the state. Bill Elliott (who will take over when Butch decides to retire) will always have a great line. Our games are won on the line of scrimmage and on defense. We generally always graduate most of our offensive and defensive lineman, but we always have twice as many ready to compete for the positions left open. FINALLY, and this statement is not meant to be boastful, just factual (since I have been here) In Celina TRADITION NEVER GRADUATES, and we very seldom rebuild, we RELOAD.
    Go Bobcats/Longhorns/Cowboys (and Mavs/Rangers/Stars and the Duke Blue Devils)

1998-2001 JBC Pigskin Prep
    2001-2006 TxPreps
    2006-2015 3ADownlow / Texas Downlow

USMC-Iraq 2005-2006

Practice Squad

Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
    Well a man from Celina told me that they recruit there players from towns all around Celina.
    <I suspect you're stirring the pot with that post but I'll take a shot at a straightforward reply>

Their (sic) ( ) is a small amount of truth in that statement actually, but "recruiting" is inaccurate. Lets just say you've got a job in Dallas and you can choose to live anywhere for your extreme PIA commute. You've got 3 sons that are decent athletes but a tad small. They can be athletes in Plano, Mesquite, Duncanville, Garland, etc., but perhaps in a smaller town they'd get a better chance at playing time, with the added bonus of a championship culture. Maybe your tired of the materialistic upper middle class whitebread culture of a West Plano. NTTAWWT. Celina is a magnet, they don't need to recruit. A similar situation exists with Liberty Hill, Wimberly, and other towns that are exurbs of cities. Its sort of a "build it and they will come" phenomena.

Besides, everyone knows that only Odessa Permian and Brownwood were the only schools to ever recruit players.

number one reason has to be coaching. most every town has talent, but its what you do to tap into that talent and get the most out of it that is important and Ford seems to do that every year.

CueroDad2006

Originally posted by SNYDER325TIGERS
    Are there no small towns around Snyder?

Default Re: Why is Celina so good?

Originally posted by Tromboneking
    What separates them from everyone else?
    Born an OWL
    Grew up a PIRATE
    Raised a couple of WILDCATS
    Now raising some new PIRATES

block&tackle

Originally posted by Balcones fault
    <I suspect you're stirring the pot with that post but I'll take a shot at a straightforward reply>

Their (sic) ( ) is a small amount of truth in that statement actually, but "recruiting" is inaccurate. Lets just say you've got a job in Dallas and you can choose to live anywhere for your extreme PIA commute. You've got 3 sons that are decent athletes but a tad small. They can be athletes in Plano, Mesquite, Duncanville, Garland, etc., but perhaps in a smaller town they'd get a better chance at playing time, with the added bonus of a championship culture. Maybe your tired of the materialistic upper middle class whitebread culture of a West Plano. NTTAWWT. Celina is a magnet, they don't need to recruit. A similar situation exists with Liberty Hill, Wimberly, and other towns that are exurbs of cities. Its sort of a "build it and they will come" phenomena.

Besides, everyone knows that only Odessa Permian and Brownwood were the only schools to ever recruit players.
    Some truth to this statement with a qualification-

If you move here with a kid that is already in high school that kid will have a hard time playing. We have had a lot of folks that have moved in here with athletically inclined kids in the 5th through 7th grades that have learned the system and done well. Later than that and it is very rare for them to even contribute, much less excell.

The thing that blows the whole "recruiting" argument out of the water is how good these kids are all of the way through:

1st-2nd grade team - 9-1
    3rd grade team (playing 3rd and 4th graders) - 7-3
    4th grader team - 9-1
    5th grade teeam - 8-1
    6th grade team - 10-0
    7th grade "A" - 7-1
    8th gradde "A" - 7-1
    JV Orange - 10-0
    JV Gray - 8-0
    JV White - 9-1
    Varsity 16-0

The guy wo coachees the 6th grade team has not lost in his last 100+ games.

While we did have the athletes this year, the system that all of these teams run is one that is more dependent on execution than on athleticism. Combine that with great coaches and great tradition and that is why we enjoy so much consistency.