Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Back to the 5A vs. 3A subject...

I firmly believe this year's Liberty Hill squad could compete with a few elite 5A's.

I went on record as saying that there are certain 3A's who could do it, but they're few and far between. Looking at the way LH ran through these playoffs, there's no question in my mind that they could hang with the big boys, including a school like Abilene, and even beat a few of the 5A playoff teams.

Sure, the big boys of 5A may start to pull away in the fourth, but it wouldn't be a blowout like I thought it might.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

All-American

Default Re: Back to the 5A vs. 3A subject...

Originally posted by big daddy russ
    I firmly believe this year's Liberty Hill squad could compete with a few elite 5A's.

I went on record as saying that there are certain 3A's who could do it, but they're few and far between. Looking at the way LH ran through these playoffs, there's no question in my mind that they could hang with the big boys, including a school like Abilene, and even beat a few of the 5A playoff teams.

Sure, the big boys of 5A may start to pull away in the fourth, but it wouldn't be a blowout like I thought it might.
    How about Celina? They have been destroying teams all season long too.
    "Those who would give up an essential liberty for temporary security deserve neither..." Ben Franklin

Sorry but I still believe a BIG NO, not even close
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
    I agree, after watching Katy on Saturday, their 2nd team would be hard to beat by any 3A team.
    Welcome to the Pasture of Pain.

I can't get on board with the "not even close" argument because I don't buy into the "5A's are light years better than the elite 3A's simply because of the numbers" argument. I've always thought that there were a few 3A's that could keep pace with most 5A's because of the ability of their starters (or in this case, the system).

Even though I've never seen an actual game between a 3A and a 5A, I've seen scrimmages in which a 3A soundly beat a decent (playoff-bound) 5A. Oh, and one of those 3A teams didn't make the playoffs.

Now I know that's a weak argument because Corpus 2A through 4A ball is typically fairly strong while 5A isn't, but it's a good starting point. I also know a scrimmage is different from an entire game, but I have no doubt that there are tons of 3A's whose starters can line up against a 5A and beat them man-for-man up and down the field. I've seen it done more than once. Where they run into problems is when a few of those players are going both ways and start to tire or when their relief isn't up to snuff and they suffer because of depth.

I saw Everman, Sinton, and Forney, and a host of other thought that those three teams could've competed against most big schools and not get blown out of the water. The speed of those games honestly wasn't a whole lot different than a 5A game.

Oh, and to define "competitive," I'm not saying they would win. As I said in my first post, I think they could hold on to a pretty close ball game (and by close, yes, I'm talking single digits) for most of three quarters. And no, I never saw LH play this year, but when a team is that dominant over the course of a season, I just automatically assume they could hang with the big boys. Usually, I wouldn't go out on that far of a limb without seeing a team, but I feel pretty confident that I picked a short limb.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

they'd probably beat some bad 5a teams, but all of the decent ones would beat any 3a school....other than a fluke game or something like that 3a schools dont have the same depth and talent pool as 5a schools....any playoff/better 5a team would destroy a 3a team....

Originally posted by sahen
    they'd probably beat some bad 5a teams, but all of the decent ones would beat any 3a school....other than a fluke game or something like that 3a schools dont have the same depth and talent pool as 5a schools....any playoff/better 5a team would destroy a 3a team....
    I completely disagree with this. I've always thought that elite 3A's are without question on par with playoff-caliber 5A's. Elite 4A's are on par with the second tier of 5A's. It's when you get to the top rung where everything's different.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

I completely disagree with this. I've always thought that elite 3A's are without question on par with playoff-caliber 5A's. It's when you get to the top rung where everything's different.
    yes, i know you completely disagree w/ it...u have stated that numerous times...if you are right then we shouldnt have dvisions, if the better 3as can play w/ the better 5as then we should jsut let them all play against each other....

Originally posted by sahen
    yes, i know you completely disagree w/ it...u have stated that numerous times...if you are right then we shouldnt have dvisions, if the better 3as can play w/ the better 5as then we should jsut let them all play against each other....
    Yeah, I've stated it three times now. And I've heard of some elite 3A schools (see Cuero) who've tried to schedule out of district games against 5A's only to be shot down. I've never heard of a 5A who'll play a 3A.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

WylieBulldog92

Roosevelt played a 5A team and lost I think.

Yeah, I've stated it three times now. And I've heard of some elite 3A schools (see Cuero) who've tried to schedule out of district games against 5A's only to be shot down. I've never heard of a 5A who'll play a 3A.
    y would you? you dont gain anything if you are a 5a school by doing that...if you win, you did it against lesser comepetition and it doesnt get you ready for district, if you have your fluke loss against them then your the team that lost to a 3a school and it can be deterimental to your season....just play a good 4a and that is a little more respectable....

the whole football world doesnt revolve around making 3a schools seem better or validating them...as i said before, there are a handful of elite 3as that could beat the bad 5a teams, but the playoff bound ones would beat those elite 3a schools...if they cant then the difference between 3a adn 5a isnt numbers/talent then its coaching/execution and there is no need to have differences in divisions....
    Last edited by sahen; 12-16-2007 at 03:58 PM.

They might be able to hang with a team that runs the ball, but LH could not put a defense on the field to contain Highland Park.

Letterman

Well, I don't know if they could beat Katy (actually I am sure they couldn't), but some of the 5A playoff teams, I definitely think so. I know the comparison of common opponents doesn't always predict the winner, it does give some idea of whether they are close in capabilities

Hewitt Midway 21
    Round Rock 17

Giddings 28
    Hewitt Midway 14

All-American

Originally posted by WylieBulldog92
    Roosevelt played a 5A team and lost I think.
    Roosevelt a very good 3A lost to a bad 5A....Liberty Hill could beat some bad 5A's and maybe even middle of the road 5A's but any 5A team that is decent would roll....too much depth, speed and size...

All-American

Go ahead Celina, put SLC on the schedule. That should be a barn burner! HAHAHA!