• YES, too many interceptions and not missing a game is nothing special

11 17.74%
  • NO, one of the greatest of all time

51 82.26%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brett Favre

Blog Entries

Default Brett Favre

is he overrated or is he really as good as people say he is?
    #37 Ranked Downlow Poster- Coach

All-American

overrated. but don't tell his followers that or they'll flip out.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Ya'll are too young to remember this, but he won his first MVP "miraculously." All the pundits at the time said there was no way it would happen again, that it was just a fluke, and that Jim Kelly, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Dan Marino, or someone of that caliber would win it the following year. I know this because I actually watched SportsCenter back then.

Also said that the Packers were just a fluke, that they shouldn't have gone that far in the '95 playoffs, and that Favre was only the third-best QB in the NFC.

He went on to win three consecutive MVP's and a SuperBowl. Not because of the talent around him, but because of him. That Packers team was nowhere close to as good as the 49ers, Cowboys, or even the Bills and Broncos, without Favre. But he still took them to the title game. Twice.

Also, don't forget that Green Bay benched All-Pro QB Don Majkowski in favor of Favre. Granted, Majkowski had lost some of his zip due to injury, but he was still a decent QB.

The interceptions go hand-in-hand with QB's like Favre, Dan Marino, Sonny Jurgensen, etc. They're arm guys, gunslingers, the last of a dying breed. You young'uns can't remember those QB's because they're hardly around anymore. QB's are molded differently these days, from being the center of the offense to being a relay point between the offensive coordinator and the rest of the team. These guys aren't scared to throw it into triple coverage even when all the coaches say you shouldn't do it or change the play in the huddle (to my knowledge, Peyton Manning's the only QB in the league today allowed to do this on a regular basis) because they think they can get the ball somewhere that the defense doesn't.

He's every bit as good as they say he was. The best QB of the 90's (and it pains me to say that because Marino is my favorite player) and the only player to ever win three straight MVP's. And guess what? He's doing it again this year.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

In his prime he was one of the greatest to ever play. But right now I think the way that he is playing is being overrated. I think he is going to come back to Earth in these last few games.

rangerjim

How can a quarterback guide his team to a 10-2 record and be over rated? Look at what Grossman did for the Bears last year - 14-2 and goes to the superbowl - was Grossman over rated?????? (sorry couldn't resist)

Providing Farve's elbow isn't too bad, he will be average the rest of the year. Career wise don't see him as over rated - how many consecutive starts does he have, over 240 I think, superbowl ring, 3 MVP's - Farve will be in the Hall of Fame.

BMOC

He is a winner, and a leader of that team.

firstcat

Originally posted by big daddy russ
    Ya'll are too young to remember this, but he won his first MVP "miraculously." All the pundits at the time said there was no way it would happen again, that it was just a fluke, and that Jim Kelly, Emmitt Smith, Troy Aikman, Steve Young, Dan Marino, or someone of that caliber would win it the following year. I know this because I actually watched SportsCenter back then.

Also said that the Packers were just a fluke, that they shouldn't have gone that far in the '95 playoffs, and that Favre was only the third-best QB in the NFC.

He went on to win three consecutive MVP's and a SuperBowl. Not because of the talent around him, but because of him. That Packers team was nowhere close to as good as the 49ers, Cowboys, or even the Bills and Broncos, without Favre. But he still took them to the title game. Twice.

Also, don't forget that Green Bay benched All-Pro QB Don Majkowski in favor of Favre. Granted, Majkowski had lost some of his zip due to injury, but he was still a decent QB.

The interceptions go hand-in-hand with QB's like Favre, Dan Marino, Sonny Jurgensen, etc. They're arm guys, gunslingers, the last of a dying breed. You young'uns can't remember those QB's because they're hardly around anymore. QB's are molded differently these days, from being the center of the offense to being a relay point between the offensive coordinator and the rest of the team. These guys aren't scared to throw it into triple coverage even when all the coaches say you shouldn't do it or change the play in the huddle (to my knowledge, Peyton Manning's the only QB in the league today allowed to do this on a regular basis) because they think they can get the ball somewhere that the defense doesn't.

He's every bit as good as they say he was. The best QB of the 90's (and it pains me to say that because Marino is my favorite player) and the only player to ever win three straight MVP's. And guess what? He's doing it again this year.

BDR...you rock! GO PACKERS!!! Brett Favre will go down as one of the best the NFL has ever had. If he ever goes down....must be something special if his latest year is as good or better than his first!!!!

Stownhorse

Originally posted by Go Blue
    overrated. but don't tell his followers that or they'll flip out.

He is a hard-nosed QB, he takes shots and gets right back on the field. For his age, he is not overrated.

All-American

Originally posted by Stownhorse
    He is a hard-nosed QB, he takes shots and gets right back on the field. For his age, he is not overrated.
    Career wise homie. He's hurt his team a whole hell of a lot more than he has helped it.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by Stownhorse
    Don't listen to Go Blue. He thinks every QB is overrated, except VY.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

Stownhorse

Career wise homie. He's hurt his team a whole hell of a lot more than he has helped it.

I beg to differ....

g$$

Originally posted by big daddy russ

Great post & agreed.

Buddy of mine works as a petroleum engineer & has some rigs in Mississippi. He has met some childhood & college friends of Brett's who say he has never changed. Still the same country boy from Kiln, MS & always will be. Also tell some good stories from Brett's partying days! Wife is easy on the eyes too.

Legend & a man's man. Love to watch him play ball & just a good guy. Fearless gunslinger. Don't tell Go Blue or other youngsters who watch him now - they will probably tell you Simms or Applewhite or Joe Blow or VY is better! Give me a break.

All-American

Originally posted by g$$
    Great post & agreed.

Legend & a man's man. Love to watch him play ball & just a good guy. Fearless gunslinger. Don't tell Go Blue or other youngsters who watch him now - they will probably tell you Simms or Applewhite or Joe Blow is better! Give me a break.
    Peyton and Tom are in another league compared to brett.

g$$

Peyton and Tom are in another league compared to brett.
    Brett Favre in his prime (mid to late 1990s) can compare to anyone. Anyone, look it up. Team #s, SB win, MVPs, & his stats too.

You are too young to know better.

All-American

Originally posted by g$$
    Brett Favre in his prime (mid to late 1990s) can compare to anyone. Anyone, look it up. Team #s, SB win, MVPs, & his stats too.

You are too young to know better.
    He can't compare to Montana or Marino. Those two are also heads and heels above Favre. Right now in their career Peyton and Tom are above him too. Steve young is above him. He's a top 10 QB sure but he gets to much credit for how good his team is.