Default Trouble in Celina

State: Celina nursing home conditions 'horrific' 12:35 PM CT

01:15 PM CDT on Tuesday, July 24, 2007
    By BRANDON FORMBY / The Dallas Morning News
    bformby@dallasnews.com

A trustee has been appointed to run a Celina nursing home where inspectors found “grossly inadequate medical care" and "squalid conditions," the state says.

A recent inspection by the Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services found a “complete breakdown” at the Amberwood Care Center in the 600 block of Ohio Street in Celina, where 42 people resided.

“The conditions were pretty horrific,” said Paco Felici, a spokesman for the Texas Attorney General’s office, which filed the suit after the Aging and Disability Department presented its findings.

Among other things, the investigation found patients suffering from bed ulcers, a tracheotomy tube “coated with crust,” and ventilators set at “dangerously high oxygen flow pressures

James W. Jewel, who owns the facility, could not immediately be reached for comment.

According to the attorney general’s office, the Aging and Disability Department will provide the court-appointed trustee with $200,000 to care for or transfer the facility’s patients.

The temporary restraining order issued Friday requires Mr. Jewel to repay any money spent for the care of the facility’s residents.

“We are seeking to have the trustee remain in place as long as necessary to remedy the situation,” Mr. Felici said.

smustangs

its just sad that ppl treat others like that ppl in nursing homes have paid there dues and they deserve to be taken care of now

All-American

Pretty ridiculous how the elderly get treated. I hope everyone associated with that place does time in jail.

All-American

i remember visiting this and other places in the area (gunter, celina, etc.) where the standards seemed depressingly low

of course, that was 10 years ago
    Go Bobcats/Longhorns/Cowboys (and Mavs/Rangers/Stars and the Duke Blue Devils)

1998-2001 JBC Pigskin Prep
    2001-2006 TxPreps
    2006-2015 3ADownlow / Texas Downlow

USMC-Iraq 2005-2006

Cameron Crazy

Thats sad! um.. from what I hear, Celina is going to be top dog this year, just what I heard.

Originally posted by JR2004
    Pretty ridiculous how the elderly get treated. I hope everyone associated with that place does time in jail.
    JR2004, we don't agree on much, but we dang sure agree on this one. My wife works at a brand new one in Frisco and never worked there at this one or any around here. She works in purchasing and supply and has no contact with patients. She was shocked to here that about a place in Celina. The way she talks about the one she works at sounds like Heaven for the elderly.

Angeleyes

that is so sad.it makes me mad when i hear stuff like this the elderly should be taken care of with love and kindness.

Originally posted by Angeleyes
    that is so sad.it makes me mad when i hear stuff like this the elderly should be taken care of with love and kindness.
    yes
    my mom was in one for 15 years

remember to take care of your parents

all of us will probably wind up in a care facility someday

We had a neighbor in that facility that we loved and visited and she began having issues there several years ago and was eventually moved by her children. We missed seeing miss Reba.
    She had lived in Celina all her life and my wife and children used to walk across the street to visit her at her house a couple of times a week. When she went to the nursing home we just kept it up till she left. Her children complained about the conditions formally but nothing seemed to happen. I am glad something is finally getting done.

We seek the grail.
    Listen, strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis
    for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate
    from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.

Practice Squad

my great grandma was in the one in gunter up one the hill behind where the high school is now for about 20 years (she passed about 10 years ago now). our family farm is dead in the middle b/w pp/celina/gunter/tioga, so she had a choice b/w the homes in pp/celina/gunter. they are all absolutely horrible, but these people dont want to be moved 20/30 miles away to denton, mckinney, or sherman so they suffer to be close to home... until they cant handle it anymore

All-American

Originally posted by sic'em
    my great grandma was in the one in gunter up one the hill behind where the high school is now for about 20 years (she passed about 10 years ago now). our family farm is dead in the middle b/w pp/celina/gunter/tioga, so she had a choice b/w the homes in pp/celina/gunter. they are all absolutely horrible, but these people dont want to be moved 20/30 miles away to denton, mckinney, or sherman so they suffer to be close to home... until they cant handle it anymore

it is a sad choice between home and quality
    Go Bobcats/Longhorns/Cowboys (and Mavs/Rangers/Stars and the Duke Blue Devils)

1998-2001 JBC Pigskin Prep
    2001-2006 TxPreps
    2006-2015 3ADownlow / Texas Downlow

USMC-Iraq 2005-2006