Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    g$$

Default Opinion: Billy Gillispie vs. Mack Brown...

Comparison of when they left previous job:

Mack Brown left a basketball school (North Carolina) to go to a football school (Texas); people in North Carolina were upset. Mack made the right move obviously.

Billy Gillispie left a football school (Texas A&M) for a basketball school (Kentucky); Aggie fans are upset & frustrated. Yes, even though football has been down at A&M it is & always be a football school here in the state of Texas. The tradition / passion is there & the money / resources will always be available. Time will tell if BCG made the right move.

Kentucky lost their football coach (Guy Morriss) a few years ago to...Baylor! Basketball is king in Kentucky.

I am frustrated & disappointed too as an Aggie. But Kentucky is a premier job. I do wish he had been more upfront with everybody involved. Now there are questions about a replacement & the incoming recruits (top 10 class) staying committed to A&M (they can transfer with no penalty since not yet enrolled). I hope Ronnie Arrow (Texas A&M CC), formerly at San Jac & South Alabama, is given serious consideration. Alvin Brooks is also in the mix (current asst., formerly at Houston). The VCU coach is also a hot commodity (formerly under Billy Donovan at Florida).

Your thoughts...

All-American

Apples and oranges. Comparing coaches from two different sports.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

All-American BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END's Avatar

The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that Gillespie wouldn't live up to his contract, I mean, if you say you're going to do something, do it, it's not as though he's begging for money or had a loyal fan base. Other than that, I really don't care. I'm not going to wish him luck or throw a farewell parade, because Gillespie is no Coach K or Bob Knight, so he's not worth me getting that upset over losing.
    Official F.A.N.T.O.M. Liaison to Big XII Football, In Charge of Heavy Lifting

I Can Crush You Mentally and Physically

All-American

Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
    The only thing that really bothers me is the fact that Gillespie wouldn't live up to his contract, I mean, if you say you're going to do something, do it, it's not as though he's begging for money or had a loyal fan base. Other than that, I really don't care. I'm not going to wish him luck or throw a farewell parade, because Gillespie is no Coach K or Bob Knight, so he's not worth me getting that upset over losing.
    Gary....2.3$ a year he could just pay that contract out himself. Money talks and BS walks
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Originally posted by Tiger WR
    Gary....2.3$ a year he could just pay that contract out himself. Money talks and BS walks
    Yeah, that's the problem today, money over morals.

All-American

Get off this tired soapbox...It's ridiculous.

Originally posted by JR2004
    Get off this tired soapbox...It's ridiculous.
    I'll do that just as soon as you get off the idea that everyone should cater to your beliefs. If you don't want to read something or are tired of an issue, don't open threads pertaining to it instead of being pompous and thinking that everyone should talk about things that are pertinent to your interests. Thanks and Gig 'Em.

Most contracts for employment in education are designed to give the employee the peace of mind of knowing that they are guaranteed employment as long as they follow the guidelines of their contract. The contracts are not designed to guarantee the employer that the contracted will remain at the job for the duration of their contract.

All-American

i'm gonna have to go against you on this one BBDE. I like BCG, and i wish him the best of luck. and what morals did he break? yes he said that everything went smooth with the A&M contract, but i knew as soon as he didn't sign that he was waiting on Kentucky........and how do you expect him to be upfront with A&M when he hasn't even been offered the Kentucky job yet?

questioning someones morals for making a decision that betters their career makes no sense to me. If were to leave Texas A&M for more money at some crappy school would be one thing but leaving Texas A&M for MORE money and possibly the best basketball job in the NCAA's is just smart. He just went from Texas A&M to the University of Kentucky, the mecca of college basketball....thats a huge step up in everyones eyes
    Last edited by kaorder1999; 04-06-2007 at 08:19 PM.

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned and think that when you say you're going to do something, you should do it. That's just me, and it doesn't make anyone else a bad person for not believing that or holding themselves to that, but that's the way I'm going to be. It bothers me, but I realize that unfortunately my ideals aren't very common now.

I can understand where your coming from, but this is a once in a lifetime chance he might not get again, so I cant say he did anything wrong, but I can understand the resenment as well.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

I don't know why this was here...Wrong thread.
    Last edited by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END; 04-06-2007 at 09:06 PM.

All-American

I'll do that just as soon as you get off the idea that everyone should cater to your beliefs. If you don't want to read something or are tired of an issue, don't open threads pertaining to it instead of being pompous and thinking that everyone should talk about things that are pertinent to your interests. Thanks and Gig 'Em.
    Tired schtick.

g$$

Originally posted by Tiger WR
    Apples and oranges. Comparing coaches from two different sports.
    2 different sports? Duh, thanks for that nugget. Also the 2 most high profile, highest paid NCAA sports too.

Disagree entirely - actually very similar circumstances. Mack built up UNC & left for Texas. BCG built up A&M & left for Kentucky. It won't be the last time either this stuff happens.

Objectivity Tiger - try when it involves "your" Texas Longhorns too.