View Poll Results: Was this a good move by the Houston brass?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 42.31%
  • No

12 46.15%
  • I have no clue

3 11.54%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Schaub for the 40th pick... Good trade for the Texans?

Matt Schaub, a QB who has limited experience in the NFL, but has impressed everyone when he has played, was picked up by the Texans in exchange for their second-round pick and "possible other compensation." The trade hasn't yet been finalized and final details will come in later today, but as it stands, do you think the Texans made a good deal, and why do you think this way?

EDIT: The Texans are apparently giving up their second-rounder both this year and next year, and also dropping down from the eighth to the 10th overall pick in this year's draft.
    Last edited by big daddy russ; 03-21-2007 at 03:33 PM.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

Houston is clearly done with Carr...Schaub has a ton more potential than the retreads left on the market like Bledsoe. If they don't sign him to an extension, they only give up that second rounder and the swap of first rounders this year. If he's good, they re-sign him and give up another second rounder. Low risk, high reward move IMO.

Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
    Houston is clearly done with Carr...Schaub has a ton more potential than the retreads left on the market like Bledsoe. If they don't sign him to an extension, they only give up that second rounder and the swap of first rounders this year. If he's good, they re-sign him and give up another second rounder. Low risk, high reward move IMO.
    I don't know about the "low risk" part, but the "high reward" part of your statement is absolutely true.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

All-American
    Blog Entries

good move
    Go Necks! // Women's college basketball writer for Dave Campbell's Texas Basketball // Twitter: @juscarts

tigerpride_08

Originally posted by carter08
    good move
    i think so to...could be a stud...

Starter

i knew they were going for B.Q. by watching the NFL chan..... but when Clev and Det said they were looking for a QB i knew that he wouldn't fall that far

so all in all good trade for the texans let's just hope this guy has a tough chin, cause he's going to get wacked repeatedly

Originally posted by carter08
    good move
    I don't know, Carter. Two second-rounders and moving down two picks. That's 1,100 draft value points for an unproven QB.

As it stands right now, I don't like the trade at all. That's a whole lot to give up for a guy who may or may not turn out to be the next Drew Brees. Paint me a skeptic, but I'd like the trade a whole lot more if the Falcons threw in Big Boi, Andre 3000, and a six-pack.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

nm... Double post
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

*** Ejected Player ***
    North of the Rio Grande and South of the Red River

Schaub will turn out to be worse than Carr. At this point in his career Schaub hasn't had a team put together a game plan against him. Once a defense does that, people will see why he's best suited for a backup role.

we shouldve tried to take Vick from them...atleast he can run away from all the free defensive linemen and linebackers the oline lets through......i guess now maybe houston will figure out that if you have a shi**y offensive line then no matter who is back there you are going to suck....

two 2nd rounders are too much for an unproven guy, but given with the way the Texans have drafted since we came into the league maybe it really doesnt matter....

themsu97

wouldn't have wanted Vick... i am not sure that the Texans are done trading though... I have a feeling they will still move down and get more picks...
    i just hope that they did not give away a chance at LaRon Laundry... that would be scary...
    I also think that if they would have trade Carr it could have been a better bargaining tool for them...

Originally posted by themsu97
    wouldn't have wanted Vick... i am not sure that the Texans are done trading though... I have a feeling they will still move down and get more picks...
    i just hope that they did not give away a chance at LaRon Laundry... that would be scary...
    I also think that if they would have trade Carr it could have been a better bargaining tool for them...
    I agree with everything this guy and sahen said. Landry's a tough talent to pass up and, in my mind, is the kind of guy you build an entire defense around, a la Ronnie Lott and LeRoy Butler.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by big daddy russ
    I agree with everything this guy and sahen said. Landry's a tough talent to pass up and, in my mind, is the kind of guy you build an entire defense around, a la Ronnie Lott and LeRoy Butler.
    Why not move down a bit further and take Reggie Nelson? You already have Williams and Ryans in the Front 7...put somebody like Nelson over the top to shut own those passing lanes...and you can essentially eliminate a good portion of the field. Granted...a complimentary LB and DL guy are needed to do this...but it's a start.

Wait...disregard what I just wrote...I'm hoping the Cows get Nelson. IMO, he is the perfect compliment to Williams at safety.

themsu97

Nelson is a good fit... as would be the corner from Pitt... but why if you could laundry?

the only way I would be happy would be if the Texans can trade the #10 to either New England or Chicago and pick up some of their picks...

Originally posted by Adidas410s
    Why not move down a bit further and take Reggie Nelson? You already have Williams and Ryans in the Front 7...put somebody like Nelson over the top to shut own those passing lanes...and you can essentially eliminate a good portion of the field. Granted...a complimentary LB and DL guy are needed to do this...but it's a start.

Wait...disregard what I just wrote...I'm hoping the Cows get Nelson. IMO, he is the perfect compliment to Williams at safety.
    I like Nelson quite a bit, and think he would help out tremendously in cover situations, but Landry's the total package. Like I said earlier, reminds me A LOT of Leroy Butler, one of the most underrated defenders ever in the NFL. Can play the run and the pass equally effective and would give the Texans one more superstar on D.

I wouldn't mind trading down at all. NE has two first-rounders, and either Nelson or UT's Griffin in the late first, along with an OLB like Posluzny (IMO the most underrated player in the draft) or an athletic DE like Jarvis Moss should still be there late in the first.

I really think Houston needs to address another starting CB or a LT in the third round. Don't know if they can find one, but Marcus McCauley and Daymeion Hughes have been dropping since the season ended and workouts have started. There's two great starting points. I'd also look long and hard at South Carolina CB Fred Bennett along with tackles Ryan Harris (ND) and Alan Barbre (Mizzou Southern) for the left side.
    Last edited by big daddy russ; 03-22-2007 at 12:08 PM.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO