Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Default Geico's (and ABC's) Cavemen

ABC developing 'Cavemen'
    Comedy pilot based on Geico ads
    By MICHAEL SCHNEIDER
    ABC pilot will ape insurance company Geico's caveman characters.

Winner for most unusual piece of development this pilot season goes to ABC, which has turned a series of quirky Geico commercials into an actual half-hour comedy project. "Cavemen" will revolve around three pre-historic men who must battle prejudice as they attempt to live as normal thirtysomethings in modern Atlanta.

Project, from ABC TV Studio, is penned by Joe Lawson, an advertising copywriter who was behind the "Caveman" ads -- as well as other Geico commercials (think the cockney-speaking Geico gecko, and the reality TV spoof "Tiny House").

Daniel Rappaport, Guymon Cassady, Will Speck and Josh Gordon are exec producers. Speck and Gordon, commercial directors who recently helmed the Will Farrell feature "Blades of Glory," are on board to also direct.

The single-camera laffer pilot is based on the Geico ads that promote the insurance company's Web site as so user-friendly that even "a caveman could do it." The spots follow cavemen in modern settings, reacting with offense to the derogatory slogan. In one, a Geico spokesman apologizes and takes the Neanderthals out to dinner.

Other blurbs include the sensitive, modern cavemen peeved at the offending slogan while encountering Geico ads in everyday life, including the airport.

The caveman commercials were created through the Richmond, Va.-based Martin Agency. Jeff Daniel Phillips and Ben Weber play the cavemen in the Geico spots; no word if they'll make the transformation to the TV project.

Few TV shows have come out of the commercial sphere; more frequently, TV characters live on in 30-second spots long after their shows are canceled (think "ALF").

But it's not without precedence: The 2002 CBS comedy "Baby Bob" revolved around a talking baby character that was first seen in a series of dot.com ads. After the Eye canceled "Baby Bob," the character returned to its commercial roots, spending time as a pitchman (pitchbaby?) for Quizno's Subs.

link
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

On second thought, maybe reality TV isn't so bad after all...
    CALALLEN WILDCATS

TRADITION NEVER GRADUATES

I hate the cavemen commercials

I am sometimes mistaken, but I am never wrong.

People who buys Macs are stupid.

All-American
    Blog Entries

How about a sitcom about the Downlow

Way more exiciting
    Go Necks! // Women's college basketball writer for Dave Campbell's Texas Basketball // Twitter: @juscarts

I think the Caveman comemrical idea was brillant. They have worn it out with some stupid ones but some of them are classic. Great acting job by the main caveman. I love the TV interview one, the airport one and the shrinks office one.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.