Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

Seeing how many people say they used to love the Cowboys UNTIL Jerry Jones became owner, then lets play a game

Lets say the Cowboys were never sold in the late 80's..what would have happened up to this point?

Me..They still would have had Irvin, and Aikman would have still been drafted by Dallas..BUT

There would have been NO Walker deal, and Landry would NEVER have changed his schemes.

They would continue to struggle thru the 90's with a decent year every once in awhile.

Landry would have stayed around until 93 or so, then a massive rebuild..BUT without the deluge of draft picks the Walker trade gave them it would have been to little to late and the 90's would have seen Dallas win NO SB or even make one.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Not that I'm one of those fans, but let me get my magic 8 ball

Would the Cowboys won a superbowl? - Try again later

Default Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
    Seeing how many people say they used to love the Cowboys UNTIL Jerry Jones became owner, then lets play a game

Lets say the Cowboys were never sold in the late 80's..what would have happened up to this point?

Me..They still would have had Irvin, and Aikman would have still been drafted by Dallas..BUT

There would have been NO Walker deal, and Landry would NEVER have changed his schemes.

They would continue to struggle thru the 90's with a decent year every once in awhile.

Landry would have stayed around until 93 or so, then a massive rebuild..BUT without the deluge of draft picks the Walker trade gave them it would have been to little to late and the 90's would have seen Dallas win NO SB or even make one.

Whoa!! You're making WAY too much sense...
    CALALLEN WILDCATS

TRADITION NEVER GRADUATES

Default Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

TXB....All of this may have indeed come to pass and changes would inevitably have had to be made. You've heard the gripes of old guard charter Cowboys fans a thousand times about the firing of Tom Landry. That is the core issue that a lot of old timers cannot forget. It was not that Jerry Jones was hated because of his personality and gunslinger ways, but rather because of the way things were handled in the transition.

The Dallas Cowboys prior to 1990 were the epitome of NFL franchises as far as team image and management were concerned. From the top to the bottom they were nothing but "class" and it was reflected at all levels---and especially by Tom Landry---"the only coach the Cowboys have ever had".
    In the minds of many lifelong Cowboys fans, that pride and image were tarnished by Jerry Jones' behavior in the transition. That "bad taste" in the mouth still lingers today regardless of anything Jerry Jones will ever accomplish with the Dallas Cowboys. That may not be right in the view of many---but that is the way it is.

Can you imagine the furor in Green Bay if Vince Lombardi had lived long enough to have still been coaching the Packers and was let go unceremonisously by a new owner because he refused to step down when the Packers began to decline?

I am not saying that Tom Landry was right to have been inflexible with regard to stepping down, but he was the "legend" and Jerry Jones was the rich, new, out-of-town kid on the block.

But, I do agree that Jerry Jones was in a "no win" situation as far as Tom Landry was concerned. He should have taken more time.
    Last edited by Bullaholic; 02-26-2007 at 05:16 PM.

Default Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    TXB....All of this may have indeed come to pass and changes would inevitably have had to be made. You've heard the gripes of old guard charter Cowboys fans a thousand times about the firing of Tom Landry. That is the core issue that a lot of old timers cannot forget. It was not that Jerry Jones was hated because of his personality and gunslinger ways, but rather because of the way things were handled in the transition.

The Dallas Cowboys prior to 1990 were the epitome of NFL franchises as far as team image and management were concerned. From the top to the bottom they were nothing but "class" and it was reflected at all levels---and especially by Tom Landry---"the only coach the Cowboys have ever had".
    In the minds of many lifelong Cowboys fans, that pride and image were tarnished by Jerry Jones' behavior in the transition. That "bad taste" in the mouth still lingers today regardless of anything Jerry Jones will ever accomplish with the Dallas Cowboys. That may not be right in the view of many---but that is the way it is.

Can you imagine the furor in Green Bay if Vince Lombardi had lived long enough to have still been coaching the Packers and was let go unceremonisously by a new owner because he refused to step down when the Packers began to decline?

I am not saying that Tom Landry was right to have been inflexible with regard to stepping down, but he was the "legend" and Jerry Jones was the rich, new, out-of-town kid on the block.
    Here is the sad thing

If Jerry Jones would not have been so set on doing things right and flying down to Austin to visit with Landry face-to-face then I think it would have all thought of in a different way.

Jones was naive in thinking him and Jimmy Johnson could go out to dinner and not start a furor..BUT when Bright asked if Jones wanted Tex or old regime to fire Landry..Jones said NO..That he would do it because it was his job.

So by Jones not allowing someone else to be the "bad guy" and his decision to instead of just calling Landry BEFORE the fateful dinner with Johnson, then I think the perception of the whole deal would be viewed different

Either way..Jones MADE THE RIGHT DECISION..And If "oldtimers" cannot admit that, then they are just being bitter and not accepting that Landry was no longer able to lead a NFL team
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

Chris Hart

Jerry =Just win baby! I don't particularly love Jerry Jones, but I LOVE IT that he's all about winning. If I had to pick either the old Cowboy regime or the current one to raise my children, it would definately be the old regime. But, if I wanted to win a Superbowl, It would definately be Jerry's regime. Jerry, Jerry, Jerry, just bring another one home in 07!

Default Re: Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

Here is the sad thing

If Jerry Jones would not have been so set on doing things right and flying down to Austin to visit with Landry face-to-face then I think it would have all thought of in a different way.

Jones was naive in thinking him and Jimmy Johnson could go out to dinner and not start a furor..BUT when Bright asked if Jones wanted Tex or old regime to fire Landry..Jones said NO..That he would do it because it was his job.

So by Jones not allowing someone else to be the "bad guy" and his decision to instead of just calling Landry BEFORE the fateful dinner with Johnson, then I think the perception of the whole deal would be viewed different

Either way..Jones MADE THE RIGHT DECISION..And If "oldtimers" cannot admit that, then they are just being bitter and not accepting that Landry was no longer able to lead a NFL team
    Again, I certainly cannot find fault with your logic as far as the future of the Cowboys was concerned---history has proven you right. Old Cowboys fans do not reason with their head---they sometimes reason with their "hearts" and harken to a time "back when" that I'm sure most of you young guys are tired of hearing about. The pre-Jones Dallas Cowboys were not as much of a physical entity as much as they were an idea---a "standard" of excellence, like the Knights of the Round Table if you will, and old timers will not ever let loose of that romantic image.

All-American

I once read where Tom Landry said he wasn't bitter about being fired since Jones was the new owner and had the right to make the decision. What he was bitter about he said was that Jones brought the GM Tex Schram who worked with Coach Landry for a long time with him when he fired him. He said they shouldn't have made Tex come along espeically since Tex was to be fired a little later.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

Again, I certainly cannot find fault with your logic as far as the future of the Cowboys was concerned---history has proven you right. Old Cowboys fans do not reason with their head---they sometimes reason with their "hearts" and harken to a time "back when" that I'm sure most of you young guys are tired of hearing about. The pre-Jones Dallas Cowboys were not as much of a physical entity as much as they were an idea---a "standard" of excellence, like the Knights of the Roundtable if you will, and old timers will not ever let loose of that romantic image.
    Hey I hold those same romantic thoughts of the Old guard Cowboys as well..I grew up on that era and it will always hold a soft spot in my heart....BUT

I dont pretend there were no problems with players in that era either..or that alot of things that the Cowboys did back then was for reasons to make more money

That is the BIGGEST problem I have with old guard fans..They act like anything the Cowboys did in the past was ok..and anything the Cowboys do now or in the 90's was sooo bad..and that Landry would not have let it happen and all that.

The 70's and 80's Cowboys had their fare share of scandal, but it was a different world back then so it was not on splashed everywhere

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

Hey I hold those same romantic thoughts of the Old guard Cowboys as well..I grew up on that era and it will always hold a soft spot in my heart....BUT

I dont pretend there were no problems with players in that era either..or that alot of things that the Cowboys did back then was for reasons to make more money

That is the BIGGEST problem I have with old guard fans..They act like anything the Cowboys did in the past was ok..and anything the Cowboys do now or in the 90's was sooo bad..and that Landry would not have let it happen and all that.

The 70's and 80's Cowboys had their fare share of scandal, but it was a different world back then so it was not on splashed everywhere
    WORD!

"and that's all I'm saying"

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

I think we understand each other very well, TXB. We oldtimers just have a very hard time accepting the "But, what have you done for me lately" mentality of today's hyper-speed world. And so it has always been in the modern era and probably will always be---but we don't have to like it.

Default Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

But, I do agree that Jerry Jones was in a "no win" situation as far as Tom Landry was concerned. He should have taken more time.
    I'm not calling you out or anything Bull, because we all know that your football knowledge greatly surpasses mine, but just a little fun fact for you, I'm almost 100% certain that the fans of Green Bay own the team and I don't thnk they'd let their team have a GM that would've done that. Me personally, I've never really known anything BUT Jerry Jones. It makes me sad when I hear about the Golden Days of the Cowboys that I am too young to remember them. I will say though that TXBC makes a good point.
    "If you ain't gonna respect your elders it high time you learn to respect your betters."

"Quitters never win and winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

Before Jones Cowboys had appear in 5 Super Bowls and bringing home the Trophy twice. Great streak of consecutive playoff appearences going into the mid 80's. Great years but wouldnt want anything changed as Jones has Brought Dallas fans 3 Super Bowl wins in 3 tries. Not many playoff games since then but for 3 years u can say the Cowboys were the best as compare to 2 years before JERRY

Default Re: Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

Originally posted by RMAC
    I'm not calling you out or anything Bull, because we all know that your football knowledge greatly surpasses mine, but just a little fun fact for you, I'm almost 100% certain that the fans of Green Bay own the team and I don't thnk they'd let their team have a GM that would've done that. Me personally, I've never really known anything BUT Jerry Jones. It makes me sad when I hear about the Golden Days of the Cowboys that I am too young to remember them. I will say though that TXBC makes a good point.
    No prob, RMAC. You are quite correct about the Packers' ownership. I was just using a little poetic "license" in my Lombardi analogy. However, I must point out that if you ever do this again, I will have Adidas come live with you.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: So lets say Jerry Jones NEVER bought the Cowboys

No prob, RMAC. You are quite correct about the Packers' ownership. I was just using a little poetic "license" in my Lombardi analogy. However, I must point out that if you ever do this again, I will have Adidas come live with you.
    Now that's just not cool.
    "If you ain't gonna respect your elders it high time you learn to respect your betters."

"Quitters never win and winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."