Default From Hero to Uh Oh!

Hero sentenced for arson in Abilene 10:43 AM CST

10:43 AM CST on Friday, February 16, 2007
    Associated Press

ABILENE – A man once hailed a hero for rescuing youngsters out of a burning apartment complex was sentenced to 20 years in prison in connection with the fire.

Kristopher Leija received the maximum sentence by a judge Thursday, two months after he was convicted of vehicular arson, a second-degree felony. A nearby trailer caught fire and spread to the 21/21 Apartments in 2003, leaving about 70 families homeless but not injuring anyone.

Leija, 26, had told authorities that after spotting a police car, he tossed his lit marijuana cigar into a trash-hauling trailer a contractor had been using to renovate the apartments.

At Thursday's sentencing hearing, Leija repeated that he had not intended to set the trailer or apartments on fire. He said he takes responsibility for the disaster and told the judge he was sorry.

At the December trial, defense attorney Monte Sherrod told jurors that his client "probably started the fire, but it was a big accident."

Taylor County jurors acquitted Leija of arson of a habitation, a first-degree felony, and arson of a building, a second-degree felony.

The night of the blaze, Leija was videotaped helping four children escape. The resulting TV coverage led to his arrest the next day, however, after sheriff's deputies recognized him as a probation violator for a burglary conviction.

Although investigators identified Leija as a suspect early on, he was not charged with setting the fire until 2005.

man...that was 2003 when that happened....it didnt feel that long ago. time is sure flying by fast.
    Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind.

F.A.N.T.O.M. Juggernaut

20 years? that seems a little excessive.

Originally posted by SWMustang
    20 years? that seems a little excessive.
    Excessive? The guy could have killed many people. He wasn't a saint prior to this event either.

it wasn't his intention to burn down the complex. It was an accidental by product of another action.

So if he was drunk and driving and hit a family should he only get in trouble for the DWI? IT was in fact just a byproduct.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Did anyone die in the Apartment fire? I would bet you a first DWI would not get you 20 years if there was no fatality.

His actions dsiplaced abut 40 families and most of them lost every single earthly possesion they had. He is a piece of crap and I hope he gets raped daily in prison.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Originally posted by injuredinmelee
    His actions dsiplaced abut 40 families and most of them lost every single earthly possesion they had. He is a piece of crap and I hope he gets raped daily in prison.
    don't you think that's a little harsh to wish crime to befall him?