Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Dolphins QB coach Garrett interviews with Cowboys

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2741032

According to Cowboys sources, Miami Dolphins quarterbacks coach Jason Garrett was interviewing Wednesday with Dallas owner Jerry Jones to become the team's offensive coordinator.

Garrett left the Senior Bowl practice in Mobile, Ala., early Wednesday morning aboard a commercial flight to Dallas to meet with the Cowboys at their Valley Ranch team facility.

Garrett is the first coach from outside the organization known to have been interviewed directly since Bill Parcells resigned on Monday. The Cowboys are operating under a deadline imposed by the Dolphins. According to a league source, the Dolphins gave the Cowboys permission to approach Garrett but have insisted they make a decision by Thursday.

The Cowboys' plan for replacing Parcells at this point is to determine whether Garrett as offensive coordinator can call plays, develop the offensive scheme and manage the offensive coaching staff and the players -- particularly Terrell Owens. If it is determined that Garrett, who has never called plays, can handle that much responsibility, then the Cowboys are expected to pursue San Diego defensive coordinator Wade Phillips to replace Parcells. If Jones decides that Garrett is not quite ready for that role, he would be hired as offensive coordinator and then paired with Norv Turner, who can handle the overall offense.

Garrett is a former backup to Troy Aikman whom Jones believes has the potential to become the Cowboys' head coach in two to three years.

The Cowboys have declared that finding the coaches who can develop young Pro Bowl quarterback Tony Romo to be a point of emphasis in replacing Parcells.

Ed Werder covers the NFL for ESPN.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

*** Ejected Player ***

Interesting thought indeed...he could be brought in as OC with the intent of bringing in a defensive minded guy (read Philips, Singletary, Rivera) as the HC.

Good god Jerry...hire a Head Coach and let him hire the Coordinators. Give me a break!

Originally posted by kaorder1999
    Good god Jerry...hire a Head Coach and let him hire the Coordinators. Give me a break!
    Not like that...Phillips would not be concerned about hiring his offensive staff...He has said that before.

And Norv Turner thinks the world of Garrett and would have wanted him anyway.

Plus with Parcells taking his sweet time, a new HC is going to have a hard time putting a QUALITY staff together anyway.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
    Not like that...Phillips would not be concerned about hiring his offensive staff...He has said that before.

And Norv Turner thinks the world of Garrett and would have wanted him anyway.

Plus with Parcells taking his sweet time, a new HC is going to have a hard time putting a QUALITY staff together anyway.
    very true...am I the only one that DOESN'T want a retread HC though??? Turner hasn't done that well (though he did inherit Dan Snyder) and Phillips did nothing in Buffalo (Drew Bledsoe???)...so why give him another shot? How often is a coach unsuccessful with his first team and then great with his second team???

im just a big believer in a head coach hiring his staff.

WildTexan

hello 5-11 again soon....

when a jock counter keeps thinkin he knows 500 coaches that can coach his team, that is the result he gets....

if he goes back to bullyin the draft picks, hello 3-13 soon as well.....

Originally posted by Adidas410s
    very true...am I the only one that DOESN'T want a retread HC though??? Turner hasn't done that well (though he did inherit Dan Snyder) and Phillips did nothing in Buffalo (Drew Bledsoe???)...so why give him another shot? How often is a coach unsuccessful with his first team and then great with his second team???
    It is not like Phillips was bad..he was 29-19 as the HC for the Bills

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
    It is not like Phillips was bad..he was 29-19 as the HC for the Bills
    wow...I always thought it was much worse. Maybe I'm thinking of the wrong Bills coach then. Why was he fired?

Because he would not fire the special teams coach

Jason would be a great guy
    He has worked our camp for many years
    does a great job with the kids and coaches
    he comes from a coachimg family
    his dad was/is a long time NFL asst.
    Jim Garrett is a fantastic coach and good friend
    any team would be lucky to have Jason
    but since this makes sense
    it wont happen

best of luck to Jason
    no matter where he is

BuffyMars

Im scurred! I HATE getting new coaches.

I DONT WANT ANOTHER CAMPOS!

If God is a Cowboys fan like I know he is (prob wearing 1 of 5 SB rings right now--he has one for each business day! Might even have one on each finger....) he will not let another Campos happen to the Cowboys!

WE CAN'T HAVE ANOTHER 5-11 SEASON EVER AGAIN!!!

with God all things are possible
    with Jerry nothing is possible
    except a 1B dollar new stadium

Originally posted by kaorder1999
    How do you know the HC isn't. You know with BPs status, Jerry has had a plan in place for some time. I would be willing to bet anything that the guy he brings in for HC has signed off on Garrett. He's probably just moving fast before someone else grabs him for their OC.

Look, I know JJ has made some bad decisions, but I truly believe the losses in the late 90s-early00s taught Jerry a lesson. I believe he knows a good coach is essential during today's NFL parody. JJ has an ego, but his desire to win a SB is even bigger. I think his head will outweigh his ego in the long run.
    Last edited by Macarthur; 01-24-2007 at 02:28 PM.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

Originally posted by Macarthur
    How do you know the HC isn't. You know with BPs status, Jerry has had a plan in place for some time. I would be willing to bet anything that the guy he brings in for HC has signed off on Garrett. He's probably just moving fast before someone else grabs him for their OC.

Look, I know JJ has made some bad decisions, but I truly believe the losses in the late 90s-early00s taught Jerry a lesson. I believe he knows a good coach is essential during today's NFL parody. JJ has an ego, but his desire to win a SB is even bigger. I think his head will outweigh his ego in the long run.
    you have a good point. Maybe the new head coach is already in place but just not officially and he signed off on this and if that is the case then that is good! But if he has not signed off on this then it is stupid!