All-American

Default Shot Duck Survives 2 Days In The Refrigerator!!!

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. - Neither gunfire nor two days in a refrigerator could slay this duck.

When the wife of the hunter who shot it opened the refrigerator door, the duck lifted its head, giving her a scare.

The man’s wife “was going to check on the refrigerator because it hadn’t been working right and when she opened the door, it looked up at her,” said Laina Whipple, a receptionist at Killearn Animal Hospital. “She freaked out and told the daughter to take it to the hospital right then and there.”

The 1-pound female ringneck ended up at Goose Creek Wildlife Sanctuary, where it has been treated since Tuesday for wounds to its wing and leg.

Sanctuary veterinarian David Hale said it has about a 75 percent chance of survival, but probably won’t ever be well enough to be released back into the wild.

He said the duck, which has a low metabolism, could have survived in a big enough refrigerator, especially if the door was opened and closed several times. And he said he understands how the hunter thought the duck was dead.

“This duck is very passive,” Hale said. “It’s not like trying to pick up a Muscovy at Lake Ella, where you put your life in your hands.”

Story Link

Cameron Crazy

I have seen it all!

Passages-Malibu recovering from a HS football addiction

That would have been some really fresh roast duck.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. El Presidente
    AKA "El Guapo"
    The greatest dirt waterer to ever live!
    Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Thanks for that one 44!

All-State

Default duck

Sorry,
    Duck is NOT on my meat list. Just not fond of the taste. Love to watch em on a cold morning out of the deer stand though.

Growing up a hunter with my Dad. I was taught to shoot everything thing that moved.

But as I grew later in life my hunting, I limited my hunting to doves, white tail and the occasional coyote. Had lots of opportunities to shoot bobcats and the occasional mountain lion but enjoyed watching them more that shooting them.

LIBERTY HILL, STILL ONE OF THE BEST PROGRAMS IN TEXAS!!!!!

JJ7997

Default Re: duck

Originally posted by rundoe
    Sorry,
    Duck is NOT on my meat list. Just not fond of the taste. Love to watch em on a cold morning out of the deer stand though.

Growing up a hunter with my Dad. I was taught to shoot everything thing that moved.

But as I grew later in life my hunting, I limited my hunting to doves, white tail and the occasional coyote. Had lots of opportunities to shoot bobcats and the occasional mountain lion but enjoyed watching them more that shooting them.

Shooting with the lens is alot more fulfilling than shooting with the gun on alot of species. Of course Feral Hogs I do indiscriminately kill.

All-American

What duck hunter puts his dead duck in the fridge before cleaning and gutting it!

lepfan

Default Re: duck

Originally posted by rundoe
    Sorry,

My mom and dad have a mountain lion and several bobcats on their place in SE OK. The mountain lion has been seen out at the barn...about 100 yards from the house. The bobcats are meaner...they have been a bit closer to the house. In fact one of them decided that my mom's weiner dog was a good meal. All she heard was a short yap and then saw it bobcat running away.

All-American BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END's Avatar

Default Re: Re: duck

Originally posted by JJ7997

Shooting with the lens is alot more fulfilling than shooting with the gun on alot of species. Of course Feral Hogs I do indiscriminately kill.
    Me too. What do you hunt the feral beasts with?
    Official F.A.N.T.O.M. Liaison to Big XII Football, In Charge of Heavy Lifting

I Can Crush You Mentally and Physically

JJ7997

I usually go with the trusty old 30.06 from a deer blind. The ranch out west of Gatesville is and the surrounding area is overrun with hogs. I have hunted them just about every way in the book though in the past. From off the four-wheeler with a shotgun at very close range. With a handgun even closer, stalking them, and I've trapped boatloads of them. I have also did the chasing with dogs and then catching the hogs live. Check out www.centraltexashoghunting.com and you'll see my cousin and uncles place right next to ours and some nice hogs. You never know, someone may want book a hunt.

All-American BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END's Avatar

I usually go with the trusty old 30.06 from a deer blind. The ranch out west of Gatesville is and the surrounding area is overrun with hogs. I have hunted them just about every way in the book though in the past. From off the four-wheeler with a shotgun at very close range. With a handgun even closer, stalking them, and I've trapped boatloads of them. I have also did the chasing with dogs and then catching the hogs live. Check out www.centraltexashoghunting.com and you'll see my cousin and uncles place right next to ours and some nice hogs. You never know, someone may want book a hunt.
    I like to hunt with something with a little more stopping power.
    Official F.A.N.T.O.M. Liaison to Big XII Football, In Charge of Heavy Lifting

I Can Crush You Mentally and Physically

Default Re: Re: duck

personally i like to hunt with a bow.....i think it takes much more skill and effort rather than simply placing a cross arrow on an animal from 200 yds and it has no idea

i like the challenge that is all. But i don still like the fact that you hunt b/c gun hunters are more persistent about trying to keep hunting from being banned altogether. (you know those tree huggers trying to stop hunting)

All-American

there are large packs of hogs all over north texas
    Go Bobcats/Longhorns/Cowboys (and Mavs/Rangers/Stars and the Duke Blue Devils)

1998-2001 JBC Pigskin Prep
    2001-2006 TxPreps
    2006-2015 3ADownlow / Texas Downlow

USMC-Iraq 2005-2006