Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-American
    Blog Entries

Default City of Brazoria to ban use of the N word

Brazoria mayor proposes banning racial slur
    By TEENA MAENZA
    Finding a way to bring national issues down to the local level is important to Brazoria Mayor Ken Corley.
    Last year, at Corley’s suggestion, Brazoria became the first city in Texas to designate where registered sex offenders could live.
    The city’s ordinance has drawn the attention of other municipalities, with dozens of cities locally and across the state now passing similar laws.
    Last week, Corley met with members of the Brazoria Ministerial Alliance to take on another politically-charged issue — the possibility of banning “the N word” from being used in the city.
    “This is not an issue right now in Brazoria,” said Corley. “But it is a growing national issue. As far as I’m concerned, there is no place for it in society.”
    Corley would like to see the Brazoria City Council add language to its existing disorderly conduct ordinance defining use of the word as disorderly conduct by language. Those convicted of using the word could face a $500 fine.
    “I don’t think today’s children should have to bear the burden of hearing this word used,” he said.
    Corley presented the idea to the Brazoria Ministerial Alliance last week to see how they felt about it.
    “A lot of them were in favor of it,” he said. “Some of them were confused because this is really not an issue in Brazoria right now.”
    Corley said he has received several phone calls about the idea, none of them negative in nature.
    If Brazoria Council adopts the ordinance, the city would become the first in the nation to ban the use of the word.
    “I think it would be great if Brazoria could take the lead in this,” Corley said.
    Bishop Ricky Jones of Living Word Fellowship, a part of the Ministerial Alliance, said he hopes Corley’s suggestion is a rallying point for productive dialogue, not just at the City Council table, but also among churches and individuals.
    “This is an excellent opportunity to begin discussion on issues that have been swept under the rug for too long,” he said.
    Jones said members of the black community often use the word with each other and in music lyrics, something many black leaders are trying to change. This month’s Ebony magazine features a story on why both black and whites must stop using “the N word.”
    “Some people are making millions off using this word,” Jones said. “They’ve tried to make a term of endearment out of something that has been used in the past to demoralize and degrade black people as a whole.”
    The underlying issue, Jones said, is self-respect.
    “I can’t ask you to respect me more than I respect myself,” he said. “How people treat themselves is how they will be treated by others.”
    Members of the black community have to let it be known that they won’t tolerate this word as a term of endearment, Jones said, adding that he hopes Brazoria will take a stand that will make people aware nationwide.
    “Brazoria could be a trendsetter,” he said.
    Rev. Dr. Debbie Meassells, of First Presbyterian Church, was also in attendance at the Ministerial Alliance meeting, and had several thoughts about the discussion.
    “I don’t like it when people use that kind of language in public,” she said. “I wish people had enough sense not to say certain things on their own.”
    But her other concern, Meassells said, is where to draw the line on what is considered offensive.
    “This is one objectionable word,” she said. “But there are lots of other words than can be just as offensive and hurtful. How do we decide what shouldn’t be tolerated?”
    Sure, it is inappropriate, but this seems like a violation of the 1st amendment to me
    Go Necks! // Women's college basketball writer for Dave Campbell's Texas Basketball // Twitter: @juscarts

tigerpride_08

Default Re: City of Brazoria to ban use of the N word

Originally posted by carter08
    Sure, it is inappropriate, but this seems like a violation of the 1st amendment to me
    well if the city voted on it, then that was their decision...

It's a word that I don't like to use and I wish a lot people wouldn't use(whether it be for jokes, insults, or song lyrics), but it is still a violation of the first ammendment. As much as I think the idea was not bad, it will probably be shot down by someone with half a brain.
    Born an OWL
    Grew up a PIRATE
    Raised a couple of WILDCATS
    Now raising some new PIRATES

All-American
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Re: City of Brazoria to ban use of the N word

Originally posted by tigerpride_08
    I have not and will not say that word, but there are many who do, despite the inappropriateness of it.
    Go Necks! // Women's college basketball writer for Dave Campbell's Texas Basketball // Twitter: @juscarts

One thing is for sure, not gunna be many "experienced" rappers comin' out of Brazoria in the near future...

Producer - "Cut... listen Fiz Nighty, we're gunna have to use the N-Word atleast 37 times on this album, if not in this song alone..."

Fiz Nighty - "N-Word? What's that?"

Producer - "You know, N******"

Fiz Nighty - "Aw hell no, that word be's banned in my home town, shhhhhhiii****"
    Last edited by Gobbla2001; 01-18-2007 at 09:39 PM.

g$$

Noble idea, but are you going to stop there? What about other ethnic groups & slang terms deemed derogatory too?

Corley got national press for the sex offender deal, & it seems he wants it again. Nice man though trying to do what is best for the city. Good luck...

tigerpride_08

it shocks me how known the word is to people young and old...in our PALS program i just got assigned to one of the elementary schools and work with 6th graders...and i was shocked that on the first day i heard a kid use it...very sad...

All-American
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by g$$
    Noble idea, but are you going to stop there? What about other ethnic groups & slang terms deemed derogatory too?

Corley got national press for the sex offender deal, & it seems he wants it again. Nice man though trying to do what is best for the city. Good luck...
    Corley does do what he feels is best for the city. Good man. The only problem is change is not accepted by a lot of people

Default Re: Re: City of Brazoria to ban use of the N word

Originally posted by tigerpride_08
    and if the city voted to kill a man who has never done anything wrong or has never been convicted of a crime, it was just their decision...

I know, it's like comparing apples to oranges, but at the same time, voting for either is unconstitutional...

I think it's a good thing that someone wants to ban the word, but it is unconstitutional to do so...

I really never hear the "N" word used at all, but I hear "Nigga" all the time, by ALL races...it's almost just a slang word now, it seems.

Right or wrong??

IMO, city councils should not be in the business of passing on ordinances which establish policies on issues as broad and contentious as race, religion, or abortion.

g$$

I just don't see how that legislation will fly if you only include one ethnic group. It would have to be more inclusive & not singling out one group. Otherwise, get ready for discrimination lawsuits coming out of the woodwork.

But hey, I am not a lawyer or politician!

The word cracker should be banned to then.

I am sometimes mistaken, but I am never wrong.

People who buys Macs are stupid.

Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    I really never hear the "N" word used at all, but I hear "Nigga" all the time, by ALL races...it's almost just a slang word now, it seems.

Right or wrong??
    correct... had a black guy on a talk show saying how it isn't bad unless it is meant in a bad way... "Wassup Nigga" wouldn't be considered "I'mma bust a cap in yo ass" these days...

All-American
    Blog Entries

Originally posted by g$$
    I just don't see how that legislation will fly if you only include one ethnic group. It would have to be more inclusive & not singling out one group. Otherwise, get ready for discrimination lawsuits coming out of the woodwork.

But hey, I am not a lawyer or politician!
    The law can not last. First person caught can take it to court. They will win.