View Poll Results: Who do you think will win?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Graham

17 34.00%
  • Vernon

33 66.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Default Region I Game of the Week (9): Graham @ Vernon

The Graham Steers will travel to Vernon to take on the Lions in this district 6-3A game.

On paper, the teams appear to be fairly well-matched - Vernon with 4-4 overall record (1-1 dist) and Graham with 3-5 overall record (1-1 dist). The winner will have a leg up on top seeding for DII playoff rep.

Thoughts? Predictions?
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

mudcat

Graham will travel to Vernon Lions

Vernon's record is 4-4

1 loss to Midland Christian. Vernon stunk that night and were out played.

1 loss to 4A Mineral Wells (in overtime).

1 loss to Burkburnett (in overtime - missed a game winning field goal. Led the entire game).

1 loss to Decatur. Scored a game winning TD with less than 1 minute to go. Wait flag on the play- holding. Failed to convert after the penalty.

The Lions could very easily be 7-1 now.

mchavez

This is a big rivalry between these two teams!! I have to go with Vernon at home on this one!!

All-American

Vernon
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by mudcat
    Graham will travel to Vernon Lions
    I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

VERNONLION#1

I am going with my Lions on this one. The winner will definitely have a leg up on representing the District in the playoffs.

All-American

The safe bet is to go with the Lions. Z-Motion is right, as they haven't gotten beat bad in any games they've lost.
    The key to this game...(for the Steers) and any game against Vernon is stopping Whiteside. Enough said. You stop the big boy and you've got a shot.
    Graham played better last week than they have in recent weeks. Which Graham team shows up in Vernon on Friday is anybody's guess. After checking online in an article about their game against IP I noticed that they got one of their receivers back. This kid, at 6'4" could make things interesting as it did against Iowa Park. He caught two touchdowns, and with his height I don't think the Lions cornerbacks can beat him on the "jump ball". Anybody else notice Chance McCoy only had two catches in that Iowa Park game?
    Graham is still missing three defensive starters, so Vernon's offense should be able to move the ball. (These starters were on the D-Line and one linebacker)

Vernon 34 Graham 20

Originally posted by VWG
    The safe bet is to go with the Lions. Z-Motion is right, as they haven't gotten beat bad in any games they've lost.
    The key to this game...(for the Steers) and any game against Vernon is stopping Whiteside. Enough said. You stop the big boy and you've got a shot.
    Graham played better last week than they have in recent weeks. Which Graham team shows up in Vernon on Friday is anybody's guess. After checking online in an article about their game against IP I noticed that they got one of their receivers back. This kid, at 6'4" could make things interesting as it did against Iowa Park. He caught two touchdowns, and with his height I don't think the Lions cornerbacks can beat him on the "jump ball". Anybody else notice Chance McCoy only had two catches in that Iowa Park game?
    Graham is still missing three defensive starters, so Vernon's offense should be able to move the ball. (These starters were on the D-Line and one linebacker)

Vernon 34 Graham 20

I think Vernon has to contain the Graham QB scramble. Seemed as though IP had difficulty against the running game in the second half. (I listened to the game on the radio). Vernon did very well against Decatur which throws the ball a lot. But running the ball out of a spread offense may also give the Lions some trouble. I suspect that it will be a very good and close game.

Also Vernon has so many players going both ways they get wore down in the 4th quarter. Strong offensive play (time consumption) in the 4th giving their defense time to rest will also be key for Vernon.

I picked Graham which I think would be an upset, not a huge one, but an upset b/c Vernon is at home and yes, Graham has been terribly inconsistent this year. As far as I know, Graham doesn't have any receivers at 6'4"; I don't think there's any kid at G.H.S. that tall actually. I think they might be referring to Toby Riddell, who is about 6'1" w/ some pretty clutch hands. He cracked a vertebre in a preseason game but I thought that he was back by now. He might have reaggrevated it but I haven't talked to him since homecoming weekend. I'll give him a call and see what I can find out, but I won't give away all of our tricks . . . if we have any at all.
    "If you ain't gonna respect your elders it high time you learn to respect your betters."

"Quitters never win and winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."

All-American
    Blog Entries

Neither of these teams are very good. Although, Region I is actually very weak and these may be the best teams. Vernon will win
    Go Necks! // Women's college basketball writer for Dave Campbell's Texas Basketball // Twitter: @juscarts

All-American

Originally posted by carter08
    Neither of these teams are very good. Although, Region I is actually very weak and these may be the best teams. Vernon will win
    You are obviosly delirious. Neither one of these two teams are even ranked in the top 40 of REGION ONE. Burburnett (7-1) is the class of thier district and they are ranked around 24 in 3A. This rest of this district is weak. Actually Vernon is a pretty good football team and should win this game by double digits.

Maybe you need to do some research before making statements like the quote above. Region 1 is not weak. It may be a little top heavy with only 5 or 6 top notch teams, but these 5 or 6 can play with anybody.

Originally posted by carter08
    and is that thinking the reason you got NO picks right this week? Decatur is probably the 3rd or 4th best team in the state. I would only rank Gilmer and Cuero ahead of them for certain.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

All-American

Originally posted by RMAC
    I picked Graham which I think would be an upset, not a huge one, but an upset b/c Vernon is at home and yes, Graham has been terribly inconsistent this year. As far as I know, Graham doesn't have any receivers at 6'4"; I don't think there's any kid at G.H.S. that tall actually. I think they might be referring to Toby Riddell, who is about 6'1" w/ some pretty clutch hands. He cracked a vertebre in a preseason game but I thought that he was back by now. He might have reaggrevated it but I haven't talked to him since homecoming weekend. I'll give him a call and see what I can find out, but I won't give away all of our tricks . . . if we have any at all.
    Guy that came back for the IP game is a WR, last name of Wright.
    Classified as a junior. They say he is listed at 6'4".

Originally posted by VWG
    Guy that came back for the IP game is a WR, last name of Wright.
    Classified as a junior. They say he is listed at 6'4".
    Oh yeah, John Wright, yeah, I think he was going to move as his dad took the principal job at Weatherford, but I guess he stayed in Graham. Yeah, he is about 6'4".
    "If you ain't gonna respect your elders it high time you learn to respect your betters."

"Quitters never win and winners never quit. But those who never win and never quit are idiots."