Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default The Swinging Gate

The La Grange Leps use this a lot. So far I don't think they have scored more points using it than with the traditional PAT and going for two formations. In fact with the kicker being as good as he is I think they are actually down a few points with it. Any comments out there about this strategy?

shankbear

an odd waste of time.

All-American

Default Re: The Swinging Gate

Originally posted by Pudlugger
    The La Grange Leps use this a lot. So far I don't think they have scored more points using it than with the traditional PAT and going for two formations. In fact with the kicker being as good as he is I think they are actually down a few points with it. Any comments out there about this strategy?
    Ingleside Lines up with the swinging gate after every score.

All-American BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END's Avatar

Originally posted by shankbear
    an odd waste of time.
    Actually, the clock does not run on PATs.
    Official F.A.N.T.O.M. Liaison to Big XII Football, In Charge of Heavy Lifting

I Can Crush You Mentally and Physically

AggieJohn

i think the main thought is that you can pitch it to that ready man before you move over to the line...we did it alot in high school

I have never liked the swinging gate. One of these days, some defensive genius is gonna figure out how to take the ball away from it and this play will be dead forever.

Designed and created by pirate44

Forney used to come out in it alot. In the past 2 seasons we actually used it, one was a fumble on the long pitch, the second time the guy back by the kicker stumbled running forward.

Seems like it would be easy to counter, get one of your smart, athletics players and let him just try and intercept the snap.

I am sometimes mistaken, but I am never wrong.

People who buys Macs are stupid.

The gate as I've seen it involves a pass to a back or receiver standing behind a whole crowd of people on one side. You defend it by putting a man everywhere they have a man. And your BIG guys go in front of the crowd. I've always wanted to see a coach line a speedy tall receiver in the inside slot and intercept the ball in flight and adios.

Designed and created by pirate44

Originally posted by sinton66
    The gate as I've seen it involves a pass to a back or receiver standing behind a whole crowd of people on one side. You defend it by putting a man everywhere they have a man. And your BIG guys go in front of the crowd. I've always wanted to see a coach line a speedy tall receiver in the inside slot and intercept the ball in flight and adios.
    That was my job. Hutto tried it once on us last year, and it was one of the few things I done right that game.

*** Ejected Player ***
    North of the Rio Grande and South of the Red River

All you need is a good running QB and 2 big OL and you can run the ball up the middle and score. Seen it happen many times the last few years.

Da Mules

on the other hand, if you can get up by extra point by running the gate successfully, you could have the game breaker. Muleshoe lines up in the Gate after every TD, and will run it about every 3rd TD. Probably about 2 out of 3 times it is successful... it's not as easy to defend against as you make it sound. I have never seen the other team intercept or score against it.

In the 2003 season Kennedale used it almost every time. Someone from that area may comment on it. Didn't work to well against Vernon as we beat the cats that night.

Originally posted by Da Mules
    on the other hand, if you can get up by extra point by running the gate successfully, you could have the game breaker. Muleshoe lines up in the Gate after every TD, and will run it about every 3rd TD. Probably about 2 out of 3 times it is successful... it's not as easy to defend against as you make it sound. I have never seen the other team intercept or score against it.
    Yeah, they get that ball over there quick, but if you can escape around the edge then you can defeat it rather easily.

All-American

Nice to hear folks talking about football again!

Da Mules

Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
    Yeah, they get that ball over there quick, but if you can escape around the edge then you can defeat it rather easily.
    da Mules have been running the Gate as previously described since 1998... I would put the success rate at about 2 out of 3 overall. Once the coach gets up by the extra point, he goes back to kicking the PAT.