Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast
    2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Wylies band was boring so it made me think of this.

We need to bring back the 'guest' feature!
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

All-American

Wylie with 13 straight losses.. wonder what mom and the others are thinking? I see 0-20 coming..

All-American

Not good times in Wylie Land... the faithful have been predicting a serious dropoff since last year's Jr and Sr classes were in Jr High. The move up to 5A was the icing on the cake. Unfortunately this would have happened even if we had stayed in 4A. Low participation numbers, serious lack of size and speed, big time demographic changes, loss of multiple long time coaches... a perfect storm for a decline. IF the current staff can survive after this season we should be better. Our other athletic and academic programs are strong just a bad (terrible) stretch for the football program. Had a great run from 1999--2016 though...

All-American

Lolol. Who brought this back up!!!
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

All-American

Quote Originally Posted by slingshot View Post
    Not good times in Wylie Land... the faithful have been predicting a serious dropoff since last year's Jr and Sr classes were in Jr High. The move up to 5A was the icing on the cake. Unfortunately this would have happened even if we had stayed in 4A. Low participation numbers, serious lack of size and speed, big time demographic changes, loss of multiple long time coaches... a perfect storm for a decline. IF the current staff can survive after this season we should be better. Our other athletic and academic programs are strong just a bad (terrible) stretch for the football program. Had a great run from 1999--2016 though...
    Wow. I thought we had fallen on tough times. You guys are stinking it up!!!
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Wow. I thought we had fallen on tough times. You guys are stinking it up!!!
    don't sugar coat it there aussie
    You Talking to Me?

All-American

All programs go through it. I assume that Coach Sandifer is not going anywhere? He's not getting any younger.

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by olddog73 View Post
    Or even the Austin American Statesman!
    Youze guys are nutz!

Quote Originally Posted by lostaussie View Post
    Lolol. Who brought this back up!!!
    The guy with the beer. It's always the guy with the beer!
    The measure of who we are is what we do with what we have..... Vince Lombardi

All-District

Damn. I didn’t know that about Wylie. My goodness. 0-10 last year? Man what the heck happened? They only moved up to 5a DII. Not that big of a jump.

2013, 2015, 2016 3ADL FF Champ jason's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bosqueville View Post
    Wylie with 13 straight losses.. wonder what mom and the others are thinking? I see 0-20 coming..

a loss to stephenville in the 2017 season finale started the streak....

ended that season on an 0-2 run
    went 0-10 in 2018
    0-3 so far this season

All-State

Yeah, Ive been looking at 5A-D2 for a couple years now and honestly it doesnt look all that tough. I saw Aledo and Fort Bend Marshall in the championship. Aledo could win several levels up but Ft Bend didnt look good enough to beat Carthage, La Vega, Argyle, Sealy, Heritage, or Liberty Hill last year. So I dont think its the bump as much as it is what was said above. There are some good coaches out there, but few great ones. Liberty Hill is going through a little rash right now but honestly its going to play out well for them, just about everything is fixable with this team and we have a HFC who has never won less than 10 games in a season as an OC or HFC in Liberty Hill and never anything less than a 9 win Season anywhere. Im glad we dropped out of the top 10, and am glad we have had some hard knocks the last few weeks, this is the time to do it and now the team is in reset mode, they will learn to win with what they have from here on out and no more rankings based on last years team. I never thought I would see AW go 0-10 though, they have fallen from greatness.

Size or not, tradition and culture is a big thing, and that should carry you to better than 0-10. One thought, If you have rescue parents vs ones that want their children to be pushed out of their comfort zone and be their best, softness will destroy a football culture. The toughness factor keeps programs competitive during talent fluctuations. I dont think AW will put up with this for long, but then again there is always soccer.....UGH
    3rdCROWN12/21/2018

All-District

Quote Originally Posted by LHPfactory View Post
    Yeah, Ive been looking at 5A-D2 for a couple years now and honestly it doesnt look all that tough. I saw Aledo and Fort Bend Marshall in the championship. Aledo could win several levels up but Ft Bend didnt look good enough to beat Carthage, La Vega, Argyle, Sealy, Heritage, or Liberty Hill last year. So I dont think its the bump as much as it is what was said above. There are some good coaches out there, but few great ones. Liberty Hill is going through a little rash right now but honestly its going to play out well for them, just about everything is fixable with this team and we have a HFC who has never won less than 10 games in a season as an OC or HFC in Liberty Hill and never anything less than a 9 win Season anywhere. Im glad we dropped out of the top 10, and am glad we have had some hard knocks the last few weeks, this is the time to do it and now the team is in reset mode, they will learn to win with what they have from here on out and no more rankings based on last years team. I never thought I would see AW go 0-10 though, they have fallen from greatness.

Size or not, tradition and culture is a big thing, and that should carry you to better than 0-10. One thought, If you have rescue parents vs ones that want their children to be pushed out of their comfort zone and be their best, softness will destroy a football culture. The toughness factor keeps programs competitive during talent fluctuations. I dont think AW will put up with this for long, but then again there is always soccer.....UGH
    LH will have success in 5a DII. I agree with every thing you said in the 1st paragraph. It’s going to be a little tougher to do it every year, but on the special years they will compete deep in the playoffs. I watched Marshall and Huntsville after the Carthage MH game last year. Both Carthage and MH were better coached, and would’ve had a hell of a chance to beat either of those teams IMO (Carthage had already beat Marshall early in the year). Either way it would’ve been a very close game between the 4. You have Aledo, who wins it almost every year. They would be hard for any of our 4a DI teams to compete with year in and year out. But it would be close when special classes come thru. In 2017 I honestly think Carthage could’ve played with Aledo and CS. I think Carthage would’ve won a title. I would’ve loved to see LV play Aledo or FBM last year at the end of the season. They would’ve had a hell of a chance to beat FBM, but Aledo might have been too much. Argyle can play with Aledo year in and year out. I would love to see that game every year in ore-district. Not sure why they don’t make that happen.

Basically I think all the upper echelon teams in 4a DI could compete deep in the 5a DII playoffs. Argyle, LV, LH, Carthage, or MH would compete no problem (sure there are other teams I am forgetting). That’s why it shocks me that AW struggled so much. There is more to that then just moving up. Maybe the problem with AW is they don't have elite athletes to compete at the moment. When in 4a they were never known to have elite athletes like some of our other programs. They won games as a well coached, tough minded, grind you to death team.

4a DI is a small class as far as number of schools, but it’s probably the most competitive and fun between the top programs. We have some awesome coaches and programs in our division. 3 marquee programs in the entire state in Carthage, Argyle, and LV. Coaching is also very high level. Walker, Rodgers, Surratt, Hyde, and many others. This is one of the small school classifications that have a number of real contenders. Most years it’s hard to pick a favorite cause there is so much parity. Same as this year. You cannot pick a favorite. We know LV is going to keep improving. Carthage and Argyle have dominated. Sealy is on the rise. LH is going to get better as there young guys get more experience. MH has been impressive and building the last couple years. They were one call away from beating Carthage last year (although they lost a lot). Got some teams in R1 with high powered offenses. R2 has some teams that if they keep improving can compete with anybody. Should be fun come playoff time.

All-American

All good points. Wylie always played a couple of tough 5A teams in pre-district over the years (Aledo, Lubbock Monterey, Frenship, Waco High, Birdville, Ville (when 5A), Brownwood (ditto), etc) and always won more than we lost. This is different. Wylie is a rapidly growing and changing school district. More diverse, way more involvement in soccer and baseball as well as overall less focus on football. Losing multiple position coaches that have been here since the early 90's has hurt a lot too. You don't just plug in new coaches for guys with 30 years of experience and continuity and expect no drop off in performance. AW has never had great speed or outstanding position players (with a few exceptions) and won with good size and strength (missing last year and this year) and outstanding technique and lack of mistakes. I don't know what the future holds but the only way to is up! Can't get much worse...