Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    *** Ejected Player ***

Default How many coach's sons are QB's and why?

Seems to be an epidemic. In several cases, the coach even holds his kid back in earlier grades strictly for an upper hand later in high school athletics.

Any stories to share? Politics? Talent? Scholarship assurance? Interested to hear input.

GreenMachine

Maybe because they are around the game so much? They are at practices helping out, throwing balls, etc. I know one of our coach's son is in my boys 5th grade class and already has a "gun" for an arm.

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by GreenMachine
    Maybe because they are around the game so much? They are at practices helping out, throwing balls, etc. I know one of our coach's son is in my boys 5th grade class and already has a "gun" for an arm.
    But if you have a kid in the same grade and that kid wants to be QB some day, you better move outta dodge because it ain't gonna happen.

All-American

Its very common, but think about it, we all want to help our kids get ahead. Some of us teach our kids our proffessions or trades. Coaches are no different. This is what they do and it is one thing they can do for their kids to help them with their future.

aren't coaches more likely to be former athletes themselves - thereby increasing the chances (through genetics) of the kid having more athletic ability than the accountant's kid?

All-American

I think it just depends on the coach.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

All-American

When I played ball, back when we used single bar facemasks, our qb was the coach's son. The coach had two sons 2 years apart who each started in their junior years. No telling how many good kids got overlooked in those 4 years but I knew at least one. There was going to be a qb controversy in my junior year but the kid did the coach a favor and got busted that summer lifting some cases of beer from a local Italian restaurant. He and his buddy, a really mean and huge linebacker, got thrown off the team. Both of them were what was quaintly referred to in those days as juvenile delinquents (thugs for you youngsters out there). Too bad for the team though as they could have really contributed had they not been so messed up. The coach resigned in his son's final season. We went 2-7 that year. LOL

GreenMachine

When I played, the coach's son was a TE. Got thrown to quite a bit, but not cause he was the coach's son or maybe it was, but he was big and could catch.

*** Ejected Player ***

I also remember a certain school where a coach starred his son as QB during a brief career at the school and when they didn't make the playoffs, he swaggered onto the field drunk when one of the teams that defeated his team met its bi-district opponent halfway at the drunken players' stadium a few weeks later.

Sadly, that player's dad eventually lost his job. The son was killed in an auto wreck in a different city where the father got another job a couple years later. Tragedy.

Originally posted by herewego
    I also remember a certain school where a coach starred his son as QB during a brief career at the school and when they didn't make the playoffs, he swaggered onto the field drunk when one of the teams that defeated his team met its bi-district opponent halfway at the drunken players' stadium a few weeks later.

Sadly, that player's dad eventually lost his job. The son was killed in an auto wreck in a different city where the father got another job a couple years later. Tragedy.
    sounds very familiar -

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

A lot of it has to do with a player's headiness and understanding of the game. Take a guy like Ryan Leaf, for example. That kid may have had the best raw tools of any QB to come out of college since Andre Ware. Could throw a football 85 stinkin' yards, and be accurate within the distance spanning Calista Flockhart's thighs. Same with Kordell Stewart.

I remember hearing a story about a Steelers' minicamp a few years back. They had two other QB's they were high on (Tommy Maddox and Tee Martin) and Cowher really wanted to give them a shot since Kordell was so inconsistent. Kordell was a weekday warrior, though. He tore it up in practice and made it tough on the coaching staff, so they started having some fun and games with it. One of those games involved placing a trash can 65 yards downfield and having those QB's launch it towards the can. They got three tries to see who got closest.

Martin started off. He got a running start, chunked the ball, got within five yards. Maddox had a bigger arm than Martin, so he didn't need the running start but he wasn't quite as accurate. Then Kordell grabbed his first ball, stood there, flicked the ball over his shoulder (off his back foot, no head start), and drained the long ball.

The coaches and other QB's were amazed, and bet him he couldn't do it again.

But he did. Twice.

He held onto the starting job, then proceeded to finish that year with a pathetic QB rating... somewhere in the low-70's (I want to say it was 2001).

Meanwhile, you have guys with no arms whatsoever who grew up in football families tearing up the league. Drew Brees is a perfect example (his grandfather was legendary Gregory-Portland HC Ray Akins, his uncle legendary UT QB Marty Akins). You can also look to Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Kurt Warner as guys who just knew football, but had about as much arm strength as the QB from your local Pop Warner team.

I've heard all the stories that coaches favor their sons over a more talented player riding the bench. While this may be true, that more talented player isn't always the better player.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by 44INAROW
    sounds very familiar -
    Mmmmm, hmmmmm. It should.

Kent Jackson's son is the QB for our 7th grade team....Jackson
    being the HC at Sweetwater of course.

All-American
    Blog Entries

I have this friend, and her brother plays pee-wee football.

He's the QB.
    His dad is coach
    His dads Sand Company sponsors the team

I think this is completly unfair to the rest of the little kids on the team
    Go Necks! // Women's college basketball writer for Dave Campbell's Texas Basketball // Twitter: @juscarts

Passages-Malibu recovering from a HS football addiction

Default Re: How many coach's sons are QB's and why?

Originally posted by herewego
    In several cases, the coach even holds his kid back in earlier grades strictly for an upper hand later in high school athletics.
    It has pretty much been proven (in boys primarily) that children that have been held back a year or kept from starting school until a year later than normal tend to prosper more in all aspects not just athletics. These children are more socially ready for a school environment and have more advanced skills. Being held back a year can really help a child that would have been very average to become above average in all aspects of life. There is a direct correlation to confidence levels that is where the difference really lies. Just because a child is held back doesn't make this child a better athlete or any more inteligent than what the child would have been anyways. It just gives the child more confidence in his/her own abilities and allows them to get out of their own way to achieve success. It isn't a new practice by any means. If I ever have a boy he WILL be held back for his own good.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. El Presidente
    AKA "El Guapo"
    The greatest dirt waterer to ever live!
    Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Thanks for that one 44!