Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Bull

Post Lets talk softball.

Who do you think are good high school softball coaches in Souththeast Texas? There are a few that come to my mind Randy Ragsdale at W.O.S. always fields a competive team. Sissy Lemons at Bridge City is another, Jerry Gore at Kirbyville is another. What's your opinon?

Old No. 7

Jerry Gore. I bet Ragsdale is hopeing W.O.S. dosen't drop to 3a. Just my 2cents worth.

All-American

Boy, I agree that Randy Ragsdale(WO-S) and Sissy Lemons(BC) are good Coaches but I would also add Coach Marcy Anderson(Buna) and Coach Shorty at H-F. As for Mr. Gore, I watched Sissy Lemons totally out-Coach him when Bridge City beat Kirbyville 12-1 in a preseason game last year.

<small>[ January 22, 2004, 05:45 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

The Bull

I take nothing away from the above mentioned coaches they all do a good job. Old Cardinal I understand your facicination with Bridge City and I would agree with you that they are loaded this year and a good bet to win it all, but I have to disagree with you on Coach Gore form Kirbyville. I know he had Tankersleys last year but the last time I checked she never threw a prefect game and got all twnety one outs in any game and she did not score every run or for that matter drive in every run. I followed all the teams form Southeast Texas during the course of the playoffs and in my opinion Coach Gore gets more from less talented players than anybody else in the area. During the second round of district and the playoffs very few people pitched to Tankersley, so somebody had to pick up the slack. Last time I check softball was a team sport and its takes nine players on the field not just a select team pitcher or player. Besides Kirbyville was winning district titles without select team players before Tankersley arrived last time I checked and usually playing futher in the playoffs than most 3A teams in the area. Sure they are going to be down this year, but I bet they will still field a very competive group of young ladies.

All-American

I guess we just disagree, I saw them play, Holly was the whole team; probably the best girl athlete in the state. Had she not taken Splendora with her pitching and her bat, Splendora would have been the State Champion! Those girls trained through the Beaumaont Blast program are always some of the best in the state.

All-American

Old is right. It is a team thing. Look at California last year. They had a great hitter last year that played first base. I don't remember her name but I know that teams walked her most of the time because her batting was awesome. Of course California had other good batters also which is why they got as far as they did.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

All-American

Hey Old can you give us some more information on that Beaumont Blast program.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

middleagecardinal

I somewhat agree with both, Old and Bull. At the high school level, every coach has to settle for what he or she has to pick from. It's hard to determine whether one is better than the other. One coach with 9 determined B level kids could beat a team of 9 A level kids whom could care less and then everyone thinks that they must have a great coach that can win with less quality kids. In the Kirbyville/BC preseason game last year, I'm not so sure that Gore was out-coached. When you have to put Holly behind the plate because their catcher was out and no one else could catch Holly, it really handicaps your game plan. Imagine Old Card if Lemoine was out and Gremillion had to catch during that game as well(and did not have an all-stater to back her up on the mound). Do you think that the score would have been the same. I doubt it.

Also, the term "select team", in my opinion, has become over rated. I have seen that there are different levels of play. Thus, you may say that you play "select" ball but it may be on a team that could not compete with a little league team. (no offense). The select teams that warrant the nods are those that can compete in the gold level qualifiers. These are teams that do not just let any body come play. They SELECT the players they think can help them win at that level. However, what ever level you play, the key is that you are playing. You will not get better unless you are playing and these girls do help their high school programs. I would not say that BC is loaded with select team player, but I would say that most of the starters play softball outside of high school and a couple play on a select team and another is getting some instruction at a select team level.

WoodvilleFan

I think the 2nd year coach at Woodville, Barbara Burnett, will be a great coach. She is young and in her first HC position. She will have a successful program. I just hope that Woodville can keep her so she can be successfull in Woodville. Unfortunately, I think she will leave in a couple of years for a better job. The Woodville girls don't take softball to seriously.

The Bull

Good points middleagecardinal. Coaches have to play the cards they are dealt and I think any coach will tell you that it's a lot easlier to be successful if you have the talent pool. I don't think Coach Gore is the best coach around I just think he does a great job with the players he has to coach. I still beleive that one player does not make a team no matter how good she is or can be. If the select team theory holds up then Kirbyville should have never won the state championship because the majority of the schools in thier district have select team players and the teams they played in the playoffs where all select team players.

All-American

It sure seems like softball is very popular in East Texas!

Phil C Cares!

middleagecardinal

The Bull:
    ... I still beleive that one player does not make a team no matter how good she is or can be....
    The team can still be "successful" without that one great player but (at least in this case) if Kirbyville did not have Holly last year, they would not have come close to winning state. The one great player does not make the team but it can put you over the top.

The Bull

No question about it if Kirbyville does not have Tnakersley last year they don't win state no arguement there. That's why I asked the Question about good coaches. Take away any teams best player and you cripple that teams ability to win. A prime example is Bridge City what happens if Meagan Godwin can't pitch or gets hurt, yes they will still be competive and very good but thier chances of winning go down some what. Kirbyville this year without Tankersley will have to rebuild and yes they will strtuggl, but every program in the state goes through periods of rebuilding. Hope everybody has a great season.

middleagecardinal

Hey Bull, it seems that you follow Kirbyville more than others. Did you happen to see the BC/Kirbyville game the year before last that was played in Kirbyville? Talk about a duel between Godwin and The Tank.

The Bull

Yes you are correct I do follow Kirbyville more than other teams because I am from that area. I live in Beaumont and officiate softball at both the high school and select team level. I have seen all the teams talked about on this board and no I did not see that game. I heard about it though. If my memory is correct Tnakersley came back from a injury and Godwin no-hit them and Bridge City won 1-0 or 2-0 not really sure let me know if I am wrong. Godwin has developed into a very good pitcher over the past couple of years and should take Bridge City far baring any type of injury.