Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Where have these 3A Powers gone??

I was looking at some old Texas Football mag's last night and started wondering what happened to some of these programs.

Listed in no particular order:

Dangerfield
    Forney
    Gatesville
    La Vega
    Sealy
    Navasota
    Columbus
    Van Vleck
    Barbers Hill
    Atlanta
    Jefferson
    Commerce

Default Re: Where have these 3A Powers gone??

Originally posted by Dogman_1969
    I was looking at some old Texas Football mag's last night and started wondering what happened to some of these programs.

Listed in no particular order:

Dangerfield
    Forney
    Gatesville
    La Vega
    Sealy
    Navasota
    Columbus
    Van Vleck
    Barbers Hill
    Atlanta
    Jefferson
    Commerce
    Dangerfield- 2A
    Forney- 4A
    Gatesville (not horrible this year, no Taureen Henderson on team)
    La Vega-- ??
    Sealy -- Been a while since they were elite
    Navasota -- have no idea
    Columbus-- hae no idea
    Van Vleck -- 2A?? I think
    Barbers Hill -- NO idea
    Atlanta -- been subpar for the last couple of years
    Jefferson-- good 2A team

Junior Varsity

Barbers Hill - moved to 4A this year. Will probably be in the playoffs.
    What do I know? I am just a MORON!!!

All-American

Barbers Hill 4a, Van Vleck is 2a

"It's my world, and everybody else just lives in it" I am EL REY!

Default Re: Where have these 3A Powers gone??

Dangerfield- Moved down to 2A, lost some of their magic
    Forney- Moved up to 4A, lost some of their magic
    Gatesville- Were down a little, but look like the real deal this year... just beat top 10 Cameron Yoe
    La Vega- Not much of a power, but a playoff contender
    Sealy- See KAOrder
    Navasota- See LaVega
    Columbus- Going through some lean years...
    Van Vleck- Moved down, lost some of their magic
    Barbers Hill- Moved up, but still good
    Atlanta- Still 3A, but lost some of their magic since 2003... Was supposed to make a run last year (you know, Atlanta's two-year cycles)
    Jefferson- Moved down to 2A, the second-ranked team in the state
    Commerce- Still 3A, but not a state title contender
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

All-State

people tell me that the blurred school zones hurt some communities..

rumors thar the columbus/rice consol. zones have shifted in favor of the raiders...

i know that some of these rural communities have kids that can basically choose.....

van vleck and others.....well....2a numbers means that it really is difficult to sustain greatness.....can be competitive is all some of these communities can muster.....it's all a cycle...

some of it also is realignment......you can be really good in some districts and have a losing record........it's just tough...

support your hometown kids.....remind them that it is a worthwhile activity....

g$$

Default VV

Van Vleck's demographics changed, if you follow me. Basically Bay City (a few miles away) now gets the kids who used to go to VV. Van Vleck was tough in their day under Bill McGonigle. I can name former NFL guys Eric Martin, Robert Blackmon, Melvin Bonner, Rodney Bonner, etc. that came thru that program. Warren Polk was a bad dude too. There was no shortage of athletes. Times have changed.

All-District

Default Re: VV

Originally posted by g$$
    Van Vleck's demographics changed, if you follow me. Basically Bay City (a few miles away) now gets the kids who used to go to VV. Van Vleck was tough in their day under Bill McGonigle. I can name former NFL guys Eric Martin, Robert Blackmon, Melvin Bonner, Rodney Bonner, etc. that came thru that program. Warren Polk was a bad dude too. There was no shortage of athletes. Times have changed.
    Bay City is down also I thought?
    Last edited by Paratrooper; 09-15-2006 at 07:09 AM.

Default Re: Re: VV

Originally posted by Paratrooper
    Bay City is down also I thought?
    Just the last couple of years... went 10-1 in '04, lost to La Marque in Bi-district?

Made the playoffs last year, lost to La Marque again I think...

Their district has gotten a lot tougher though, this year they seem down though at 0-2... Maybe Van Vleck's getting the athletes now?

In all honesty though, I do not see re-zoning effecting Columbus and Altair Rice Consolidated so much... if you're ever in the area there really isn't too much in between these two towns, but that's just me... Columbus really had a good program in the 90's, but that head coach that had 'em in the 90's is in Boerne now? That'll tell you something there...

Sealy??? the talent isn't too far down to be honest... they are still a disciplined ball club and play 111% (figured we've wore out the 110% ), but it all started after Mills left so maybe he took some the Sealy Mojo with him when he left for Mojo...

The wizard

Have a college friend on the staff at Gatesville. They are pretty good this year and could make a run in the playoffs.

PPHSfan

Where have these 3A Powers gone??
    To 5A

g$$

VV is down. Not the same athletes.

All-American

Originally posted by The wizard
    Have a college friend on the staff at Gatesville. They are pretty good this year and could make a run in the playoffs.
    i bet he is sad this morning!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by Ranger Mom
    Umm...what is a sweet beaver??
    the best kind???

DaRaiderz

Default Re: Re: Re: VV

Originally posted by maestro
    rumors thar the columbus/rice consol. zones have shifted in favor of the raiders...
    False. The district lines between Columbus and Rice have not changed at all. Even if they did, nobody really lives between Altair and Columbus where a change in the lines would send a large group of kids one way or the other. Its nothing but gravel pits between Altair and Columbus. Columbus' problems hinge entirely on the fact that there aren't any Schobel's walking the halls currently. They have no talent at the skill positions. Give them 12 years and the new wave of Schobels will arrive and they will be back on the map.

Originally posted by Gobbla2001
    Sealy??? the talent isn't too far down to be honest... they are still a disciplined ball club and play 111% (figured we've wore out the 110% ), but it all started after Mills left so maybe he took some the Sealy Mojo with him when he left for Mojo...
    COMPLETELY not true. Sealy's current talent is not even in the same ballpark as their teams in the early 1990's. The Sealy class of 1997 lost one football game in their life, in 7th grade. That goes a little beyond coaching, that tells me they had extremely supreme talent. On the Sealy team in 1995 (either 95 or 97 were their best team), I can think of at least 8 kids on that team who at least received offers from D1 schools. Their current program doesn't have anything remotely close to that.

Mills left Sealy for the same reasons Bludau left Columbus. They saw the talent pool was going dry and jumped ship before everything turned south. Thats just going to happen at schools with only 500-600 kids. The powers shift and Im sure both programs will be in the spotlight once again one day.

People always want to give TJ Mills so much credit for being such a great coach but they forget he coached at Sealy for 15 years before he won anything. He had a rush of incredible talent through a 3A school and give him and his staff (he had a wonderful staff in those days) credit for getting the absolute most out of that talent that they could.
    Last edited by DaRaiderz; 09-16-2006 at 10:16 AM.

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: VV

Originally posted by DaRaiderz
    False. The district lines between Columbus and Rice have not changed at all. Even if they did, nobody really lives between Altair and Columbus where a change in the lines would send a large group of kids one way or the other. Its nothing but gravel pits between Altair and Columbus. Columbus' problems hinge entirely on the fact that there aren't any Schobel's walking the halls currently. They have no talent at the skill positions. Give them 12 years and the new wave of Schobels will arrive and they will be back on the map.

COMPLETELY not true. Sealy's current talent is not even in the same ballpark as their teams in the early 1990's. The Sealy class of 1997 lost one football game in their life, in 7th grade. That goes a little beyond coaching, that tells me they had extremely supreme talent. On the Sealy team in 1995 (either 95 or 97 were their best team), I can think of at least 8 kids on that team who at least received offers from D1 schools. Their current program doesn't have anything remotely close to that.

Mills left Sealy for the same reasons Bludau left Columbus. They saw the talent pool was going dry and jumped ship before everything turned south. Thats just going to happen at schools with only 500-600 kids. The powers shift and Im sure both programs will be in the spotlight once again one day.

People always want to give TJ Mills so much credit for being such a great coach but they forget he coached at Sealy for 15 years before he won anything. He had a rush of incredible talent through a 3A school and give him and his staff (he had a wonderful staff in those days) credit for getting the absolute most out of that talent that they could.
    The class of '97 only lost one game which was in 7th grade or the class of '98 (season '97)???

No, it the talent may not be the same, but having seen these kids play every year (minus this year) and seeing the ones in the mid to late 90's play I'd have to say they're not TOO far off...

'99 was most likely the most-talent team Sealy had (when it came to size and speed), and they didn't win it...

No, there are no Derek Curry's there right now, but there are some Joyners etc (and no I'm not talkin' eligibility issue-wise)...

when it comes to Talent, Sealy still has a lot more than a lot of the teams that make the playoffs...

my opinion is that Mills took some of the mojo with him...