Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    All-American

Default Owens fined for missing team meetings

Owens fined for missing team meetings

12:12 AM CDT on Sunday, August 27, 2006

By JEAN-JACQUES TAYLOR / The Dallas Morning News

IRVING – Cracks are starting to become more evident in the relationship between Terrell Owens and the Cowboys.

Now, the Cowboys have to ensure those cracks don't create a fissure that can't be repaired.

Terrell Owens, who has missed 19 of 31 practices since the start of training camp with a strained left hamstring, missed a team meeting and a rehabilitation session and was late to an offensive meeting Friday.

"That's our club business. That's going to be accounted for," owner Jerry Jones said at halftime of Saturday's 17-7 win over San Francisco.

Owens was fined $9,500.

When asked if there was any problem between Owens and the club, Jones said, "We're going to be fine."

Several sources said Owens has been fined for being late to multiple rehabilitation sessions.

Owens could not be reached for comment. He did not attend the game, which is not unusual for injured players in the preseason because coach Bill Parcells doesn't like players who aren't playing to be on the sideline.

The strained hamstring Owens suffered during the first week of training camp could create a conflict between Owens and Parcells. Parcells is a stickler for having players practice.

He believes that because football is a game of repetition, players who don't practice can't thrive because they inevitably make mistakes that cost games. Rare is the player on a Parcells team who plays on Sunday after missing practice Wednesday and Thursday, the two heaviest work days during the regular season.

Twice in the last week, Owens has mentioned that he played well in San Francisco the second half of one season without practicing.

Owens, who returned to practice Aug. 16, managed only five practices before saying he aggravated his hamstring because of too many repetitions in practice. Passing game coordinator and receivers coach Todd Haley is responsible for practice repetitions.

"There's no question our best thing to do is get him well," Jones told Ch. 11 after the game. "I want him out there and would've wanted him to make every practice.

"I understand that, and everyone else does, too. He wants to be out there, too. ... I know this: When he's healthy, he's going to help us win these ballgames."

Since the Cowboys signed him in March to a three-year, $25 million deal, including $10 million in signing bonus and salary this year, Owens has talked about learning from his mistakes and being a better teammate.

Philadelphia suspended and deactivated him for the final nine games of last season before releasing him in March. Less than a week later, he signed with Dallas.

Owens has made an effort to fit in. He met the team's chartered flight when it arrived at Point Mugu for training camp, greeting teammates with hugs and handshakes. He also threw a barbecue for teammates on their first off day of training camp.

Owens' combination of size (6-3, 226 pounds) and speed makes him one of the NFL's most gifted players. His attitude and conflicts with teammates in San Francisco and Philadelphia have made him one of the league's most notorious players.

He can be combustible.

But Jones has said he doesn't think a problem will develop between Owens and Parcells – two strong-willed men who like confrontation – because they will manage their relationship carefully.

Time will tell if the cracks can be fixed.

E-mail jjtaylor@dallasnews.com
    Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    kep is always 100% serious. He doesn't joke and doesn't like people who do.

Dear Tuna,
    Cut him now.

Sincerely,
    Bull Butter

"If I have one, I'll have 13"---Blake Shelton

anyone else think something bigger than a hemi is being pulled? idk, it may just be me but i think something fishy is going on...
    Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind.

F.A.N.T.O.M. Juggernaut

sure looks fishy ......

Passages-Malibu recovering from a HS football addiction

Originally posted by DU_stud04
    anyone else think something bigger than a hemi is being pulled? idk, it may just be me but i think something fishy is going on...
    Terrell Owens is powered by a Hemi???? Wow, no wonder he's so fast. Seriously, Owens knows he needs to be on the field. Parcells knows it's important for Terrell to get healthy. If Parcells really felt Terrell wasn't injured he would have cut him already. Why, because he flat out doesn't care if Terrell is on his team or not. When you cut your starting QB to start off training camp with a bang I don't believe there is any question that you would cut a problem child like Terrell Owens if you felt he was giving you the run around about an injury.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. El Presidente
    AKA "El Guapo"
    The greatest dirt waterer to ever live!
    Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Thanks for that one 44!

Originally posted by GreenMonster
    Terrell Owens is powered by a Hemi???? Wow, no wonder he's so fast. Seriously, Owens knows he needs to be on the field. Parcells knows it's important for Terrell to get healthy. If Parcells really felt Terrell wasn't injured he would have cut him already. Why, because he flat out doesn't care if Terrell is on his team or not. When you cut your starting QB to start off training camp with a bang I don't believe there is any question that you would cut a problem child like Terrell Owens if you felt he was giving you the run around about an injury.
    its not so much faking an injury, but i think saying "the injury" is just a way reporters dont get in thier business and make a big deal about whats really going on between parcells, ownes and the cowboys...if thre is something else thats going on, like im thinking....
    Obstacles cannot crush me. Every obstacle yields to stern resolve. He who is fixed to a star does not change his mind.

F.A.N.T.O.M. Juggernaut

i think to is just wanting to get out of some practice. i don't think this will be a huge deal. i bet he practices this week and everything calms down.

to needs the cowboys worse than they need him. i'm sure his agent will remind him of that.
    Judge a man by his questions rather than by his answers.

-Voltaire

Originally posted by Macarthur
    i think to is just wanting to get out of some practice. i don't think this will be a huge deal. i bet he practices this week and everything calms down.

to needs the cowboys worse than they need him. i'm sure his agent will remind him of that.
    speaking of TO's agent .... I was wondering if he had called him lately and asked what the heck he's doing? yes, TO needs the Cowboys much more than they need him - well said.

MagicMan

TO can just start making ab workout videos. he doesnt need the cowboys. the 49ers need TO

All-American

I think T.O. 's problems have just started with the Cowboys... a lot more to come...Tuna will have to make a choice...
    STATE CHAMPIONS 1973, 1974, 1987
    STATE FINALISTS 1970, 1975, 1985
    1986, 1993, 1998, 2004

All-American

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

shankbear

Just another overpaid, punk puke thug with talent. What a freekin waste. Cut him now. Now. Now.

AggieJohn

TELL T.O. I THINK HE SUCKS

neck_94

the past always seems to repeat itself, and when the poo starts stinking, the rats will start running and T.O. will start running his mouth.

Take that to the bank.

And I agree with bullbutter cut him loose NOW.

From the looks of things in this pre-season, they dont really need him anyhow.

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

I can understand not practicing with an injury, but how strenuous is a meeting that he can't attend?
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!