Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Reggie Bush to re-enter next years draft?

No. 2 overall pick and Heisman Trophy-winning running back Reggie Bush not only appears headed for a holdout with the New Orleans Saints, a league source said Bush is toying with the idea of sitting out the entire season and going back in the draft in 2007 if he doesn't get his price.

"No player has ever had the kind of leverage that Reggie Bush has right now," the source said. "The Saints made it clear what they were willing to do before and now we'll see if they're going to get there."

It seems unlikely the Saints will do that in time for Bush to report to training camp with the team on Thursday in Jackson, Miss. Two sources said that talks between the Saints and agent Joel Segal have been nearly non-existent.

On Wednesday, Mike Ornstein, who is Bush's marketing agent, told the Clarion-Ledger of Jackson, Miss., that he didn't think Bush would be signed in time for camp. Ornstein is not allowed to negotiate contracts, but he is acutely aware of all of Bush's business matters.

One of the sources took that a step further, saying Segal was considering not having Bush sign at all. Segal declined to comment when contacted Friday and messages left with multiple members of the New Orleans organization weren't returned.

While it appears unlikely on face value that Bush would sit out, he appears well-positioned to do so if he really wants.

Bush supposedly has more than $5 million in the bank from multiple endorsement deals Ornstein has negotiated since Bush left the University of Southern California. That money is guaranteed regardless of whether Bush plays this season.

Next, Bush could probably sit out 2006 and still be a high pick next year.

Furthermore, Bush probably has the public sentiment running in his favor. Even though holdout players are generally unpopular, Bush has caused tremendous excitement in New Orleans.

In May, shortly after Bush was drafted, the Saints had already set a franchise record for season-ticket sales, having topped 55,000 at that time. That's extraordinary, especially considering the condition of the hurricane-ravaged city.

Moreover, team owner Tom Benson is immensely unpopular in New Orleans. Ranging from his hard-line negotiations with the city and state to constant threats that he will move the team, Benson is often treated with open scorn by Saints fans.

Bush has also worked hard to endear himself to fans in the city after it came out that he didn't want to play in New Orleans. Bush has made multiple donations to hurricane relief.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_yl...yhoo&type=lgns

If he did do this(which he likely won't) does he really think he would go #1. Sitting our a year and showing you are a selfish idiot doesn't bump you up to the #1 pick. I hope he gets arrested or something and is picked as Mr. Irrelevent in 07's draft.

I am sometimes mistaken, but I am never wrong.

People who buys Macs are stupid.

another reason i cant stand Reggie Bush. What a freaking idiot

if this is true he might be the biggest baby drafted since Eli Manning.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

has Bush been paid anything by the Saints yet? How has he been able to make all these donations to Hurricane Katrina relief?

5 mil in endorsements.

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

Originally posted by injuredinmelee
    5 mil in endorsements.
    well...is footall not like basketball? If he has been paid money can he re-enter the draft. I know you cant in basketball can you?

he couldnt reenter college but the pros dont care that he is getting bucks.

he couldnt reenter college but the pros dont care that he is getting bucks.
    gotcha...i was under the impression that he wouldnt be able to re-enter the draft. oh well. Who cares....hes an idiot

Step 1 to him being a bust in the NFL.

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

Originally posted by kaorder1999
    well...is footall not like basketball? If he has been paid money can he re-enter the draft. I know you cant in basketball can you?
    you can in basketball... the guys overseas are pro's, and are paid. they enter the draft. he hasnt been paid money by an NFL franchise, so theoretically... he is still an amatuer football player.

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

and he wants more money than Mario Williams got this year. which is bananas....

He should ahve been the first pick for the Texans but he was not even close to the best palyer in college football last season. He won the heisman based on one games performance and they should have lost that game.

He should ahve been the first pick for the Texans but he was not even close to the best palyer in college football last season. He won the heisman based on one games performance and they should have lost that game.
    are you talking about his 500 all purpose yard game vs Fresno State?

yes i am. VInce Young could have obliterated that defense. It was the onyl defense i saw that was as bad as USC's (excluding Tech of course).

He won because of ESPN's hype. The reggie bush highlight video is less than 30 seconds long, the same 5 plays are shown over and over and he is the most overrated return man in the NFL now.