Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default Best high school, non-playoff game?

What is the best high school, non-playoff game you have seen?

This is a test to see how many playoff games get mentioned.
    Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    kep is always 100% serious. He doesn't joke and doesn't like people who do.

*** Ejected Player ***

Cooper 34 vs Permian 35 -1994 @ Ratliff Stadium. Cooper was up 21-0 after the 1st quarter. This was the Abilene Cooper team that had Zac Allen (1st Team All-State) @ QB and Dominic Rhodes @ RB...both of them were juniors at the time. Permian came back and took the lead at 35-21 in the middle of the 4th quarter. Cooper drives down and scores with about a minute left to make the game 35-28. They kick a perfect onside (Ratliff still had turf...ball hit and bounced over Permian's front line and Cooper recovered) and drive down and score another touchdown with about 10 seconds left in the game. This was also the last year that penetrations were used to break ties. Well Cooper was tied on penetrations but ahead on the 2nd category (1st downs I think???)...however, Randy Allen (now the coach at HP) thought they were behind in 1st downs...so he chooses to go for 2 instead of kick the XP. They then decide to run a halfback pass with Rhodes. He gets the ball on a sweep to the left side but when he pulls up to throw he is hit by a few Permian defenders and never gets off a pass...ballgame! Permian beat Cooper the following year 15-9 in the snow at Shotwell (I sat in the car during the 2nd half so that I could "thaw out") so it wouldn't be until 1996 that Cooper finally beat Permian for the first time in about 27-30 years.

*** Ejected Player ***

man this is a hot topic!

Originally posted by Adidas410s
    man this is a hot topic!
    I've been thinking on this..... (hurts doing that) ironically, the most exciting and close games in the last 2 years (PRESEASON) have been the Cuero/Wharton games.. down to the last play of the game....

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

gato 76

Bay City- ElCampo 2004 in EC.Bay City down 17-7 with 3:50 in the 4th qt ,came back to beat them 21-17.

Blog Entries

Lubbock Estacado and Sweetwater on October 17, 1968.

Sweetwater lost that game 7-0 and Lubbock Estacado went on to win the state championship that year. Estacado never had as close a game than the game against the Mustangs. Since Sweetater and Lubbock Estacado were in the same district, Estacado advanced because of that night in October 1968. Later, that Mustang team carried the title "one of the best teams in Mustang history NOT to have gone to the playoffs."

Much has been said about that one game in Sweetwater's history. To this day, players from both Estacado and Sweetwater say that was the hardest fought game they were ever in
    Originally posted by Rocket
    I say more dumb things than you...
    Thanks Rocket, truer words were never spoken!!

Originally posted by DaHop72

Sweetwater lost that game 7-0 and Lubbock Estacado went on to win the state championship that year. Estacado never had as close a game than the game against the Mustangs. Since Sweetater and Lubbock Estacado were in the same district, Estacado advanced because of that night in October 1968. Later, that Mustang team carried the title "one of the best teams in Mustang history NOT to have gone to the playoffs."

Much has been said about that one game in Sweetwater's history. To this day, players from both Estacado and Sweetwater say that was the hardest fought game they were ever in
    My boss was on that team. I've heard that whole story a few
    times..

Blog Entries

Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
    My boss was on that team. I've heard that whole story a few
    times..
    And probably ever bit of it true.
    Originally posted by Rocket
    I say more dumb things than you...
    Thanks Rocket, truer words were never spoken!!

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by DaHop72

same thing happened with my dad's team @ Brownwood in 68 or 69. They lost to Estacado (I believe it was 7-0) and that was the closest game that Estacado had all season on their way to winning the state title.

Ingleside/Aransas Pass back in 2001 was a great game. Huge rivalry (high schools are only 4.6 miles apart), five lead changes throughout the game, came down to the last play of the game. A win would've sent Ingleside to the playoffs for only the second time since 1964. Oh, and nearly 5,000 fans were packed into a stadium that was designed to hold about 3,000.

Down 28-21 with about a minute to play, Ingleside drove the ball down the field and scored with less than five seconds to play. 28-27 with the conversion coming.

Ingleside goes for two, runs a misdirection. The entire defense is drawn to the left side of the field save one man, LB Leon Belfon. Ingleside's senior RB Brian Chatman then ducks away from the line and sprints off to the right side.

Chatman placed second in district in the 100 his freshman year. He was consistently one of the three fastest men in the district throughout his HS career (Sinton's Marcus Charles and Bubba Heard would trade victories with B.C.). He could cover 100 yards in less than 10.8 seconds. He could cover 40 in about 4.4. And there's two yards, half a field, and only one man between this little speed demon and a victory.

Belfon finds the angle, stops him on the one-yard line. Game. Set. Match.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. CEO

tigerpride_08

i agree with the wharton/cuero games...the one in 2004 was a amazing!!...i was a freshman that year and got to travel with the varsity...i think the score was like 56-55...all i remember it was very heated on the sideline...

All-American

One of the best games was in Sinton vs Aransas Pass game in 1997 (I think). A tough game and after the fourth quarter it was tied 21 to 21. Sinton won the overtime toss and played defense. Aransas Pass scored to make it 28 to 21 after the kick. Sinton scores a td and since the team was tired the coach decided to go for two points. Sinton makes the conversion and wins 29 to 28 in a great hard fought game by two teams.

Also, another great game was two years ago in Cuero between two ranked teams (Sinton and Cuero). Cuero wins a close one 35 to 28 in a well played game by both sides. It was so well played that even though we lost you went away feeling good by the efforts of the kids.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by Adidas410s
    same thing happened with my dad's team @ Brownwood in 68 or 69. They lost to Estacado (I believe it was 7-0) and that was the closest game that Estacado had all season on their way to winning the state title.
    Ooooh, I wonder if your dad was on the team with our CEO.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-District

Cameron 21 Giddings 20

Two ranked teams battling it out cameron was down 20-0 and half and came back. Cameron blocked a Gidding Field Goal with 5 seconds left to seal the win.
    1934,36,46,47,48,51,54,64,65,66,67,74,75,78,81,82, 83,84,85,86,87,
    89,90,91,92,93,96,97,98,2000,01,02,04,05,06,07,10, 11,12,13

1981, 2012, 2013 State Champions
    660 All-Time Victories

Originally posted by Phil C

Also, another great game was two years ago in Cuero between two ranked teams (Sinton and Cuero). Cuero wins a close one 35 to 28 in a well played game by both sides. It was so well played that even though we lost you went away feeling good by the efforts of the kids.
    Phil, that would have been my next choice..... Great Comeback by the Pirates for sure

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?