Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    All-American

Default So I'm watching Headline News right

And a segment comes up about recess and that kind of stuff and it showed that some schools are banning Tag, Red Rover, touch football, and soccer. Honestly what the hell is our country coming to when you can't play all American games like those except for soccer. To add more some schools are also banning Recess all in all, which is stupid! It is getting rediculous how everything is blown out of proportion!
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Its true, and sad. Too many districts are getting sued because of bruises and scratches. I'm all for safety, but these kids are wussified if they can't fall off a swing, shake it off, and start running full speed 5 seconds later. Its no wonder child obesity is rising. We're too afraid to just let the kids go out there and sprain and ankle or chip a tooth. Let the kids be kids. I'm betting all of us had our fair share of playground accidents and I'm sure we're all here still enjoying the ability to walk and use a fork.

Its gonna be a world full of pansies. Raise your kids to be intellegent and responsible for their own actions and we might have a chance.
    Last edited by injuredinmelee; 06-29-2006 at 05:50 PM.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

wow i broke 5 bones when i was younger and i dont think myparents ever thought of suing whoever was involved though im guessing they could have if you can sue for cuts and bruises....kinda ridiculous, in first grade i jumped off a swing and landed head first, had a concussion but we didnt sue for that....what r kids gonna do if they take all that stuff away? just stand around and talk?

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by Blastoderm55
    I'm betting all of us had our fair share of playground accidents
    My most painful memory was when I was in a swing, laying on my stomach, twisting around and around. The "idea" was that once I had turned around numerous times, I'd pick up my feet and go in reverse really fast. Great idea until the last couple of rounds when my face started scraping on the dirt and gravel.

Good grief! It's bad enough that dodge ball has been banned numerous places. Red Rover...tag? What happened? Did little Johnny have to be "IT" too many times?
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

GOFOR2

And now Texas is mandating that classrooms incorporate a new health policy into their curriculums. As if being a doctor, psychiatrist, motivator, pastor, care tacker, and emotional support group among other things isnt enough. What is the role of the parent? I can't blame teachers for moving onto higher pay jobs to improve their retirement or even for moving onto other fields.

Originally posted by GOFOR2
    And now Texas is mandating that classrooms incorporate a new health policy into their curriculums. As if being a doctor, psychiatrist, motivator, pastor, care tacker, and emotional support group among other things isnt enough. What is the role of the parent? I can't blame teachers for moving onto higher pay jobs to improve their retirement or even for moving onto other fields.
    So many people want to teachers and educators to raise their children but refuse to allow the schools to hold them responsible for their own actions. It takes a special type of person to want to teach anymore.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

GOFOR2

I would like to see them state legislators try and do half of what the modern day teacher is "asked" to do in the classroom (TAKS, etc.) with the kids of this day and age.

lepfan

I broke a classmate's arm in 1st grade playing red rover...thank goodness I never got sued...he turned out to be a really good friend

It was funny at my class reunion a few weeks ago...another classmate brought that up

Next thing you know, they are going to start labelling elementary boys sex offenders just because the lay down under monkey bars or slides and watch the girls go by overhead. It's crazy.
    Born an OWL
    Grew up a PIRATE
    Raised a couple of WILDCATS
    Now raising some new PIRATES

spiveyrat

If we don't watch it, we'll turn into France!

AggieJohn

tag is so communist

All-American

We broke a kids collar bone in Burnet, 3rd grade I believe, when we were playing tackle football at recess.
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Originally posted by piratebg
    Next thing you know, they are going to start labelling elementary boys sex offenders just because the lay down under monkey bars or slides and watch the girls go by overhead. It's crazy.
    My son had to go in "time out" when he was day care the year before he started kindergarten. He kissed a little girl on the cheek at the lunch table.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

sww-bull52

Originally posted by piratebg