TxRedneck13

Default Gold Hunter Digs 60-foot-deep Hole In Yard

Gold hunter digs 60-foot-deep hole in yard

MONTCLAIR, Calif. (AP) -- A homeowner digging for gold in his front yard said he got "carried away" and ended up with a 60-foot-deep hole, authorities said.

Norm Enrique, 63, began digging 10 days ago after his gold detector reported a positive hit near his front patio. He told authorities he only intended to go down 3 or 4 feet.

Fire officials called to the scene Tuesday found two men that Enrique hired were inside the unreinforced hole, using a bucket and rope to remove dirt.

"We told him, 'You're done,'" said Montclair Fire Capt. Rich Baldwin. "It's amazing no one got killed."

Authorities fenced off Enrique's property.

Officials from the state Occupational Safety and Health Administration likely will visit the property Wednesday to determine how to shore up and fill the hole, authorities said.

Enrique will be required to hire and pay for a licensed engineer, Baldwin said.

© 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed. Learn more about our Privacy Policy.

*** Ejected Player ***

Here's your sign...

All-American

"gold detector"?

there needs to be a law were certain people are not allowed to procreate.
    "Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity."

I hope that someday we will be able to put away our fears and prejudices and just laugh at people.

All-American

On the other hand if he had hit gold he would have been rich indeed.
    I think I will start digging in my yard this afternoon.

Go Sinton Pirates and Lady Pirates! I also like old movies like "Dawn at Socorro." I also like the Tour de France. I like the Pelican West Band located at South Padre Island, Texas. Phil is PhiI is Bill is the compassion police. He is also the Sinton Matador. Some call him the Sinton Prophet. {Also Captain Obvious. } BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR! He's going for the Corner - he's got it! Roy Orbison rules.
    Phil C Cares!

pirate44

Originally posted by Phil C
    On the other hand if he had hit gold he would have been rich indeed.
    I think I will start digging in my yard this afternoon.
    im sure your neighbors will be so happy, they will pitch in without you even asking