Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    *** Ejected Player ***

Angry So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

I get all excited about my new LCD or Plasma (probably LCD cuz it's not so freakin' huge!!!) TV this week...only to find out that HDTV isn't available in my complex!!! I freakin' live in North Dallas at the busiest intersection in the Metroplex...and HDTV isn't available??? *** mate??? DirectTV said it will be available "in a month or two" and Comcast is putting in lines in our complex so that I can switch over to them (don't even have DirectTV yet and already plan to drop their service) as soon as it's available because they will have HDTV. Heck with DirectTV and I can't even get a DVR box...I have to go buy my own!!!

My only other question is does anybody know if I can still pick up all of the local channels that broadcast in HD as long as I have an integrated tuner and "CableCARD" built into my TV? I know I can find out this when I go to CC or BB tonight...but just thought I would ask our TV gurus out there!

Default Re: So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

Originally posted by Adidas410s

My only other question is does anybody know if I can still pick up all of the local channels that broadcast in HD as long as I have an integrated tuner and "CableCARD" built into my TV? I know I can find out this when I go to CC or BB tonight...but just thought I would ask our TV gurus out there!
    My TV has a cablecard, and I can still receive the local channels (via antenna), I just have to switch the source to antenna. Unfortunetly, KTXS is the only local broadcaster that puts out a HD signal here in Abilene.

All-American

Default Re: So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

I get all excited about my new LCD or Plasma (probably LCD cuz it's not so freakin' huge!!!) TV this week...only to find out that HDTV isn't available in my complex!!! I freakin' live in North Dallas at the busiest intersection in the Metroplex...and HDTV isn't available??? *** mate??? DirectTV said it will be available "in a month or two" and Comcast is putting in lines in our complex so that I can switch over to them (don't even have DirectTV yet and already plan to drop their service) as soon as it's available because they will have HDTV. Heck with DirectTV and I can't even get a DVR box...I have to go buy my own!!!

To answer your last question...yes you can get "over the air" HD channels as long as you have an HD tuner in your TV. The "CableCard" is a card that is supplied by Comcast that takes the place of a standard cable box. The card maps itself to the cable co. channel plan and allows digital channels, HD channels, as well as premium channels show with out having a box. The only down side to having a cable card is yhat you don't get the interactive menu and you cannot get "Video On Demand". Check your PMs

Pssst....Adidas---Next time you decide to go "swimming".... make sure there is "water" in the pool.

(Sorry--couldn't resist "poking" fun at you you a little. Hope you get everything squared away with your TV.)

*** Ejected Player ***

Default Re: Re: So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

Originally posted by Rabbit'93
    To answer your last question...yes you can get "over the air" HD channels as long as you have an HD tuner in your TV. The "CableCard" is a card that is supplied by Comcast that takes the place of a standard cable box. The card maps itself to the cable co. channel plan and allows digital channels, HD channels, as well as premium channels show with out having a box. The only down side to having a cable card is yhat you don't get the interactive menu and you cannot get "Video On Demand". Check your PMs
    So to clarify, I would be able to get all the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS) in HD but I wouldn't be able to get the "cable channels" (ESPN, FoxNews, TNT, etc.) in HD unless DirectTV provides the HD service through their line. I think I've got that right. I'm pretty sure all the Dallas stations broadcast in HD too.

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by Bullaholic
    Pssst....Adidas---Next time you decide to go "swimming".... make sure there is "water" in the pool.

(Sorry--couldn't resist "poking" fun at you you a little. Hope you get everything squared away with your TV.)
    Well I haven't bought the TV just yet. I'm probably going to this week...I was just looking over the edge but my vision is kind of hazy to see if there is any water in there!

All-American

Dish Network has a lot of HD channels
    **<Current Month> Hot Girl of the Month**

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by Tiger WR
    Dish Network has a lot of HD channels
    My complex requires that I carry $25,000 in renters insurance and put down a $5000 security deposit if I want to carry Dish Network and put a satellite on my balcony. That just wasn't gonna happen...

All-American

Default Re: Re: Re: So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

So to clarify, I would be able to get all the local channels (ABC, NBC, CBS) in HD but I wouldn't be able to get the "cable channels" (ESPN, FoxNews, TNT, etc.) in HD unless DirectTV provides the HD service through their line. I think I've got that right. I'm pretty sure all the Dallas stations broadcast in HD too.
    You are correct!

*** Ejected Player ***

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

Originally posted by Rabbit'93
    You are correct!
    and does the integrated HDTuner serve as my antenna or do I also need to buy an external antenna for my TV? Thanks again for all the advice. I'm taking a crash course in the HDTV world along with learning about 5 new software programs for my new job...it's quite fun!

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

and does the integrated HDTuner serve as my antenna or do I also need to buy an external antenna for my TV? Thanks again for all the advice. I'm taking a crash course in the HDTV world along with learning about 5 new software programs for my new job...it's quite fun!
    You have to have an external antenna.

This is a pretty good site for using your antenna. If you enter your address, it will provide you a list of the Broadcasters in your area.

Antenna

*** Ejected Player ***

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: So I'm Pissed About TV's!!!

Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
    You have to have an external antenna.

This is a pretty good site for using your antenna. If you enter your address, it will provide you a list of the Broadcasters in your area.

Antenna
    So any special type of antenna that I might need? (I'm sure I sound like an idiot here)

All-American

that sucks mate........

JasperDog94

My complex requires that I carry $25,000 in renters insurance and put down a $5000 security deposit if I want to carry Dish Network and put a satellite on my balcony. That just wasn't gonna happen...
    Why?

*** Ejected Player ***

Originally posted by JasperDog94
    Why?
    Cuz they are probably in bed with DirectTV and that's their way of getting you to sign up with them instead. Out of the 300 or so apartments I have seen like 5 or 6 Dish Network satellites.