eye of the tiger

Post Interesting article in the Dallas Morning News

Interesting article in the Dallas Morning News today. It is about 5A but has to effect the other classifications.

UIL council votes to enlarge Class 5A
    10/23/2002

AUSTIN – The UIL Legislative Council on Monday voted to increase the maximum number of Class 5A schools, which could result in each 5A district having four playoff representatives – two each in Division I and II – instead of three.

The rule, which will allow Class 5A's growth from 227 schools to a maximum of 245, will take effect before the UIL begins considering realignment next fall. Another change has the soccer season and soccer state tournament beginning a week later.

School districts will continue to have control over testing for steroids and other performance-enhancing drugs.

That is pretty interesting, eott. I don't know about 4 teams from each district. That seems a little extreme to me. I think there are enough people who already feel the playoff system is watered down. I can see the benefit to the schools, but don't know whether or not this would be better. What do you think?

Designed and created by pirate44

Ozzy

There weren't enough schools with 5A enrollment to warrant another classification. The overall goal of the UIL is to keep the ratio at 2:1 in all classes. That means that 3A will probably have less than 175 schools. Look for the numbers to be somewhere between 500-950. The four playoff teams will only be at the 5A level in the next realignment. That is because just about all districts will have 8-10 teams.

All-State

Isn't it great to see all of the MBAs and PHDs paying off with more inane ideas to water down the playoffs and foul up things to a greater degree!

aamove

Does this mean that each of the other classifications will get their higher enrollments trimmed back or are they just thinking that maybe there will be a lot of 4A schools growing and forcing them into the 5A range? None the less the idea of 4 teams from each district making the playoffs just carries the system to a new and disturbing level. With most districts having 2 or maybe 3 strong teams it seems that adding a fourth team into the mix is a bit extreme. The chances of teams with a losing record making the playoffs would increase.

All-American

They need to create a 6A. Just the schools with the super high enrollments. Sure they'll have to travel farther but adding another playoff team is like beer in Oklahoma.

PPHSfan

And I am sure a school large enough to be classified as 6A could afford to charter a couple of busses once or twice a year, don't you think?

OldSchoolBulldog

O' well