Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: School Uniforms

Default School Uniforms

Looks like the issue of mandatory school uniforms is being placed on the agendas of several DFW ISD's. I think the time has come for all school districts to consider adopting a mandatory uniform dress code policy because it seems that violent incidents and discriminatory behavior is on the rise in most schools. It has gotten to the point that there can be potential violence resulting in the loss of a student's life or serious injury if they are wearing the wrong "colors" or made to feel so "inferior" if they are not able to afford the latest "in" styles, that suicide may be contemplated. I know that there are a host of problems associated with adoption of a uniform dress code policy, but I think the time has come for districts to seriously consider that loss of a little "individuality" does not equate to the potential loss of life or injury. I think that teachers should be willing to "walk the talk" by conforming to a uniform dress code, also. One step further----In light of the violent society in which we live---I think all school campuses should be "closed", surrounded by an 8' fence with razor wire at the top, and 1 in-out gate with an armed guard with a metal detector present. Make our schools "prisions"?---You bet, if it means the safety of our children. It is so easy for anyone to come and go unchallenged at our schools that it is ludicrous. Strangers can even pickup elementary school children with relative ease. Things have got to change, whether we like the inconveniences or not.

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

wow... take a step back.. thats a very harsh way to analyze something... school uniforms take away from individualism which is what everyone tells their kid that they are... an individual.

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
    wow... take a step back.. thats a very harsh way to analyze something... school uniforms take away from individualism which is what everyone tells their kid that they are... an individual.
    being an individual is overrated!!

oh and last time I checked the only people trying to truly be "individuals" were marching to the beat of a weird drum. :evillaugh

Well, I guess you're going to have to "suffer" my rantings, D303. I love the freedom of individuality---it started out as a grand concept, especially in thought, but many other things have changed so radically in our society that we are going to have to join hands and change the way we do some things with regard to our welfare and security, otherwise we are headed for a "Tower of Babel" scenario in our nation.

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

there is part of the problem, you go to school to learn, not to become and individual. why do some of the younger people today think that the clothes make the person. you can wear a uniform and still have your so called individualism. kids should spend more time trying to learn instead of trying to impress with what clothes they wear.

micu98

Clothes only cover the individual, you make who you are by the way you act. individuality is a state of mind not what you wear or the car you drive. Designer clothes only imply what you mommy and daddy can afford (or not).

Passages-Malibu recovering from a HS football addiction

This is just another instance of Communism invading our lives. Take away all the Freedoms and we will no longer be the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, we will simply become the United Communist States of America. Give our government enough time and our children will be tested and sorted into professions by age 6. Just because kids are kids do not allow their Civil Rights to be violated, stand up for their rights as Free Americans and beat down the Communist believers.

I was born Texan and Free by the grace of God. Anyone that tries to interfere with my God given unalienable rights will face my Right to Bear Arms.
    F.A.N.T.O.M. El Presidente
    AKA "El Guapo"
    The greatest dirt waterer to ever live!
    Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Thanks for that one 44!

SnyTigBaseB07

There has been talk in Snyder for a while now about instating Uniforms, but apparently the catch is that the school would have up buy them then they use the money. Now i'm not saying this is true, this just speculation based on a few teachers statements, all i know is that if they do uniforms, it better be after i'm well gone.

*** Ejected Player *** HighSchool Fan's Avatar

are the mechanics that work in our shop civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms?? are police officers civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms? the kids civil rights let them go to school. it's the schools rights to make the policies. if the parents kids don't like the policies, then they have the right to take their kid out of that school and transfer them to another school of their choosing.

Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
    are the mechanics that work in our shop civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms?? are police officers civil rights taken away because they have to wear uniforms? the kids civil rights let them go to school. it's the schools rights to make the policies. if the parents kids don't like the policies, then they have the right to take their kid out of that school and transfer them to another school of their choosing.
    Communist!

Nibb High Football Rules!!!
    AKA "El Guapo"
    Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience. - Thanks for that one 44!

Actually HSF, you make valid points. Let me ponder over it for a bit and I will get back to you. By the way, it is a violation of the right to free speech under freedom of expression.
    AKA "El Guapo"

Originally posted by GreenMonster
    This is just another instance of Communism invading our lives. Take away all the Freedoms and we will no longer be the Land of the Free and the Home of the Brave, we will simply become the United Communist States of America. Give our government enough time and our children will be tested and sorted into professions by age 6. Just because kids are kids do not allow their Civil Rights to be violated, stand up for their rights as Free Americans and beat down the Communist believers.

I was born Texan and Free by the grace of God. Anyone that tries to interfere with my God given unalienable rights will face my Right to Bear Arms.
    Run---The "Black Helicopters" are coming, GM!

Good points on both sides... But I feel if a kid is old enough to drive a car, he is old enough to decide what he can and cannot wear as long as it is in taste...

A 16 year old can kill a man for whatever reason and be put in prison for life, yet he can't wear his own clothes?

When I went to school in Cuero it was simple for us guys... no sandles, shirts must be tucked in, must wear belts, no earrings, no hair below the ears and no facial hair... Heck, that was fine by me and was obviously fine with my parents... But it allowed the kids to wear their own style of clothes with a couple of guidelines on how, that may be a positive solution...

I agree that individualism can be a tad overrated sometimes, as well as an overused excuse... However, it is cool to be an individual in high school...

But lemme ask this... What does a uniform do to stop violence? is it bulletproof or anything???

"Yah, but the crips and bloods won't be able to express themselves by wearing different colors..." Sorry, do not care what stereotypes you've bought into or what have you, the kids know who is hanging out with who... you can't cover actions and words with uniforms, only 'American Eagle, Fubu, Old Navy' etc... will be taken out of the picture...

Go Cuero

Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
    there is part of the problem, you go to school to learn, not to become and individual. why do some of the younger people today think that the clothes make the person. you can wear a uniform and still have your so called individualism. kids should spend more time trying to learn instead of trying to impress with what clothes they wear.
    I totally agree with you. We had a little bit of a dress code growing up in Cuero (not like they have now) and it didn't hurt us a bit. We were all still individuals. I look at the district my son is in and all I see are thongs and shirts w/bellies sticking out and pants that are falling off their rear ends....and then I see their so called examples...the teachers. They are no better. I still can't believe some of the outfits the teachers wear. I mean what ever happened to the teachers dressing up a little instead of in blue jeans and flipflips and a t-shirt that is too tight around the chest area? I honestly think (and this is my opinion) that the kids think their teachers are just another friend or peer instead of someone they should look up too. I'm all for individuality and expressing yourself and not living a shelter life but when you get in the real world after school and get a job or start a career there are rules, dress codes etc that you have to follow.

Again just my opinion

MARLINDOGS

I think they need to wear uniforms in schools today.But I am sure glad we did not have to back in the day.