Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Administrator/Owner LH Panther Mom's Avatar

Default Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

Alrighty, folks. The flag will be travelling with me to the game Friday night. I know there are some superstitious moms who refuse to leave their seats at half, so time & location will come in a couple of days.

All DL'ers (past & present) are welcome. If you've signed at another M&G, please refrain, but do come for the group hug & picture taking.
    Quick side! Strong side! Crank up the Machine!

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

ill be there

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

gobblerfan02

Default Re: Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    Alrighty, folks. The flag will be travelling with me to the game Friday night. I know there are some superstitious moms who refuse to leave their seats at half, so time & location will come in a couple of days.

All DL'ers (past & present) are welcome. If you've signed at another M&G, please refrain, but do come for the group hug & picture taking.
    YES, I finally get to sign the flag!!! (And see LH play, Deb!)
    Hope to see everyone there!

This game is NOT fitting into my plans like it was supposed to!

Default Re: Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

<---------------- so glad I did the M&G Friday night and already did the "pre LH vs Cuero" M&G Saturday.. in case I need to stay seated during halftime We'll keep in touch during the game and see how it goes.....

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

Originally posted by Ranger Mom

This game is NOT fitting into my plans like it was supposed to!
    You could always skip the Sweetwater/Monahans game, since you've seen them both play.

Default Re: Re: Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

Originally posted by 44INAROW
    <---------------- so glad I did the M&G Friday night and already did the "pre LH vs Cuero" M&G Saturday.. in case I need to stay seated during halftime We'll keep in touch during the game and see how it goes.....
    I'm thinking before the game is probably the best plan.

Default Re: Re: Re: Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

lol since we run into each other before the games anyway.. why not?

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

gobblerfan02

Default Re: Re: Re: Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

Just tell me when, I wanna sign the flag REALLY BIG! Can I sign on the backside!? J/K, but I do wanna sign it, Ill even make the short drive early if needed! Does anyone know of a good place to eat before the game?

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

Originally posted by gobblerfan02
    Does anyone know of a good place to eat before the game?
    You'd better grab a bite in San Marcos, because as I recall, there is NOTHING around.

gobblerfan02

Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Flag Meet & Greet: Cuero vs Liberty Hill

You'd better grab a bite in San Marcos, because as I recall, there is NOTHING around.
    Thanks again DEB!

You could always skip the Sweetwater/Monahans game, since you've seen them both play.
    You know me better than that!!

It was supposed to work out that these games were played on consecutive nights so I could see them both!!

gobblerfan02

It was supposed to work out that these games were played on consecutive nights so I could see them both!!
    In the words of Justin Timberlake......CRY ME A RIVER!!!

Well you picked the right game to go to gringo!

gobblerfan02

Originally posted by GetRDoneStangs
    Well you picked the right game to go to gringo!

Here's some interesting information!

Gringo (feminine, gringa) is a term in the Spanish and Portuguese languages, with various related meanings, and often misunderstood by English speakers.

Etymology and meaning
    Original meaning: The origin and its meaning are unknown. The two most common versions of its origin are:

Gringo comes from griego ("Greek"), since Greek was the proverbial example of unintelligible language ("It's all Greek to me!"). It was applied to speakers of foreign languages, especially the English language, by the eighteenth century. (The ancient Greeks, incidentally, coined barbarian in the same spirit; the word imitates the incomprehensible babble of foreign tongues.)
    Gringo comes from "green go" and used for reference to American soldiers during the Mexican-American War since their uniforms were of color green. A similar version mentions a song with lyrics "Green grow the lilacs" and Mexicans refering to soldiers who sang the song as "green grows". Initially used to reference Americans, it was later extended to white-skinned people even if Spanish-speaking, and can sometimes even mean just blond.
    Latin America and Spain: It must be remembered that the word American used to refer United States nationals is not popular in the Americas, since they believe that as inhabitants of the continents they are also Americans. In most parts of these countries gringo means white-skinned person speaking a non-Romance language, especially Germanic languages like English. In Argentina, it generally refers to an immigrant – especially from Italy, but not from Spain. However, influenced by the Mexican meaning, many people now apply this term only to people from the United States. The term can be derogatory.

Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama, Venezuela, Colombia, Ecuador: In these countries the word normally means specifically a US citizen, regardless of language spoken or ethnic origin (though most often associated with white-skinned people). Generally speaking a neutral term that based on context and tone can also be derogatory.

Brazil: after learning the word from its Spanish-speaking neighbors, the Portuguese meaning of the word has kept closer to its original sense, meaning a foreigner speaking a language not understandable to the local population. Its use is not derogatory and is rather akin to "foreigner".

The Anglosphere: Hispanic migrants in the USA occasionally use the term as a synonym of anglo. Most English language speakers have met the word in Western films. In the United States, the term can provoke reactions incommensurate with its largely innocuous Spanish-language sense. Despite this, the Websters Dictionary lists the word as "a disparaging term."

[edit]
    Other uses
    In the context of Mexican cuisine, a gringa is a mixture of spiced pork (carne al pastor), cheese, and diced pineapple sandwiched between two wheat tortillas. The combination is heated on the comal until piping hot and then served with a choice of salsa.

[edit]
    Folk etymologies
    A recurring fake etymology for the derivation of gringo states that it originated during the Mexican-American War of 1846-48. The legend maintains that one of two songs – either "Green Grow the Lilacs" or "Green Grow the Rushes, O" – was popular at the time, and that Mexicans heard the invading US troops singing "Green grow..." and contracted this into gringo.

Another version, heard in Brazil, refers to the United States Air Force base near Natal, Brazil during World War II. The American soldiers, wearing green uniforms, would be commanded "green, go!" by their sergeants during training.

Yet another story, from Mexico, holds that Mexicans with knowledge of the English language used to write "greens go home" on street walls referring to the color of the uniforms of the invading army; subsequently, it became a common habitual action for the rest of the population to yell "green go" whenever US soldiers passed by.

While the legends are imaginative attempts to explain the current Mexican meaning of the word, they do nothing to address the fact that gringo was used in Spanish long before either incident, and that during the Mexican-American War, the US Army did not use green uniforms, but blue ones.

The story of "Green Go" can also be heard in most other Latin American countries, with numerous variations. Some stories have the term originating as recently as the Vietnam war. Other stories attribute the term to other conflicts, all of which occurred too late in history to account for the earliest usages of the word.