Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default Ingleside -vs- Rio Hondo

RIO HONDO at INGLESIDE (at Texas A&M-Kingsville, Div. II, Regional Quarterfinal) Friday 7:30 PM
    Last edited by 99IHSMustang; 11-14-2005 at 01:33 PM.

I am going to say Ingleside. I want some more cowbell

Isn't it strange that after a bombing everyone blames the Crazy Azz bomber(s), but after a shooting the problem is the gun?

IHStangFan

more cowbell for 44 and the Stangs!! GO MUSTANGS!!

All-American

If Ingleside has a hard time stopping the run, they it'll be a long night for the Mustangs against the Bobcats.

Rio Hondo has 2 big power type RBs with good speed. If Ingleside can stop the run, they they have a good chance of winning. If not, then Rio Hondo will take it.

IHStangFan

Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas
    If Ingleside has a hard time stopping the run, they it'll be a long night for the Mustangs against the Bobcats.

Rio Hondo has 2 big power type RBs with good speed. If Ingleside can stop the run, they they have a good chance of winning. If not, then Rio Hondo will take it.
    The Mustangs have little to no problem stopping a running attack.

Take a look at Mathis' stats all season, then vs Ingleside, (Mathis had 12 yds rushing on the night) (Mathis put up 59yds rushing on Sinton just to compare) But I know that isnt all conclusive and beings this is the playoffs...i'll give Rio Hondo the benifit of the doubt and say they WILL be able to score on Ingleside...but they wont be able to OUTSCORE the Mustangs...and this will be key.

Ingleside 38
    Rio Hondo 21

Junior Varsity

I'll take Graig Hesseltine and the Mustangs this time around. I like the way he runs his team. Good Luck

All-American

Ingleside has seemed to peek at the right time. Ingleside is averaging 41 points in the last 4 games. Lets not forgot who they got them on either. They scored 44 on Mathis, 35 on Sinton, 41 on Goliad, and 44 on Cotulla. If I am going to predict anything, I can say that this game will probably be a shootout. I hope the Mustangs can pull out the big W.

Who's next?

Rio Hondo shuts out Orange Grove to earn date with Ingleside

Joe Hermosa/Valley Morning Star
    Rio Hondo running back Robbie Mesa runs the ball as an Orange Grove defender grabs him from behind during their bi-district playoff game in Kingsville on Saturday.
    By PAUL CONATZER
    paulc@valleystar.com
    956-430-6286

KINGSVILLE - How mean was Rio Hondo's defense on Saturday night?

Well, definitely meaner than a junkyard dog and a whole bunch meaner than the Orange Grove Bulldog offense.

Propelled by a ferocious defense that allowed Orange Grove just 108 yards rushing on 40 carries (2.7 yards per carry averaged) and 186 total yards, the Bobcats snapped and snarled their way to an 18-0 blanking of the Bulldogs on Saturday night at Javelina Stadium on the campus of Texas A&M-Kingsville in the bi-district round of the Class 3A, Division II playoffs.

The Bobcats got a rushing touchdown from tailback Ryan Garcia and one from quarterback Aaron Garza. Garza also threw a 17-yard scoring pass to Garcia on a fake field goal.

"Our defense has been coming up big all year," said second-year Rio Hondo head coach Gus Cavazos. "We had seen them on film and we thought we could hold them. It took us a little while to get going on offense and we made some silly mistakes. We had some penalties and we had some fumbles that slowed us down."

Cavazos said it was Rio Hondo's first playoff win since 1961.

Rio Hondo finished with 80 yards on eight penalties and lost two fumbles inside the Orange Grove 20.

It looked like the Bobcats (9-1), who will play Ingleside in the next round of the playoffs, were going to get off to the best start possible.

After receiving the opening kickoff and moving the ball from their own 20 to the Orange Grove 46, Garcia broke up the middle for a long gain, however, he was stripped of the ball at the Orange Grove three-yard line and the Bulldogs recovered in the end zone for a touchback, giving them the ball on their own 20.

From there, the Bulldogs moved the ball well, marching down to the Rio Hondo 12, but the Bobcat defense showed their claws and forced Orange Grove to try a 34-yard field goal that was wide.

The Rio Hondo front four (Adan Atkinson, Leroy Juarez, Freddy Sosa and Brian Medina) were in a bad mood all game, and spent most of it pushing the Orange Grove offensive line around.

"We knew we had to step it up," said Atkinson, a senior. "We wanted to be leaders out there."

After a scoreless first quarter, the Bobcats got on the board on their first possession of the second period.

A poor Orange Grove punt (29 yards) gave Rio Hondo the ball at its own 48.

Paced by the powerful running of running back Robbie Mesa, who had 38 yards on three carries in the drive and finished the night with 135 yards on 16 carries, the Bobcats moved down to the two.

Garcia, who finished 76 yards on 11 carries, crashed in from there to make it 6-0 with 5:36 left in the first half.

For the night, the Bobcats finished with 217 yards rushing on 35 carries.

"Our offensive line blocked great," said Mesa. "They opened some big holes."

Overall, Rio Hondo had 282 yards total offense.

"We started out a little slow on offense," said Cavazos. "I think the kids were a little nervous. We had about 5,000 people from the community here and the kids might have felt a little pressure."

The Bobcats put the game out of reach with 1:21 left when Garza, who was holding for 34-yard field goal attempt, stood up and threw a shovel pass to Garcia, who rumbled 17 yards for the Bobcats second score of the night. The little bit of trickery capped a 75-yard, 10-play drive from the Bobcats.

"We just put that in this week," said Cavazos. "We were kicking into the wind, so it was going to be a fake from the start."

Garza scored the game's final touchdown with about 3:30 left in the game from a yard-out after the Rio Hondo defense had forced Orange Grove to turn the ball over on downs at midfield.

"I'm looking forward to going to practice on Monday," said Mesa. "I don't want to turn my equipment in yet."

After an open week right before the playoffs, RH didn't look it's best, but expect them to refocus and be better prepared this week.
    Last edited by footballgal; 11-14-2005 at 10:55 PM.

Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
    Ingleside has seemed to peek at the right time. Ingleside is averaging 41 points in the last 4 games. Lets not forgot who they got them on either. They scored 44 on Mathis, 35 on Sinton, 41 on Goliad, and 44 on Cotulla. If I am going to predict anything, I can say that this game will probably be a shootout. I hope the Mustangs can pull out the big W.
    I think your right Mustang, it might just be a shootout, with the team playing better D, will probably win the game.

I'm going with the Mustangs on this one.

Designed and created by pirate44

I have to go with Ingleside. They have a great team and a good coaching staff. Mustangs by 7.

All-American

Maybe we should get some Sinton Fans on over to the game on Friday and cheer us on...

Thinking real seriously about it.

Designed and created by pirate44

Fish's mom

The mustangs do look good and I believe they have the ability to win. But being a mom, just wantt an injury free, fair game and I'm happy GO MUSTANGS!! Show them what you got.

Junior Varsity

IHSTANGFAN, What would you say was the reason for the bad play by your Mustangs against Orange Grove and Aransas Pass? It seems that your team is coming together right now just in time for the playoffs. Last year your Mustangs gave our Tarpons a great game and nearly pulled it off. What is the travel time from Ingleside to Kingsville. I believe that it is an hour and a half from Rio Hondo to Kingsville.