Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    All-American

Default Coach resigns after high school bans pregame prayer

Coach resigns after high school bans pregame prayer
    Associated Press

EAST BRUNSWICK, N.J. -- A veteran central New Jersey high school football coach has resigned after being told by school officials he could no longer lead his team in pregame prayer.

East Brunswick coach Marcus Borden was told last Friday by Schools Superintendent Jo Ann Magistro that some parents had complained about prayers Borden initiated at pregame meals and before the games.

After being told he would have to stop leading or taking part in the prayers, Borden stepped down from his position, just hours before his team's 21-0 loss to Sayreville that evening.

"I'm very disappointed," Borden said in an interview with News 12 New Jersey Tuesday. "Do I feel we were violating someone's rights? I don't think so."

But East Brunswick school officials think differently. According to school officials, the prayers violated the separation between church and state in public schools.

A spokeswoman for the district, Trish LaDuca, said students have the right to pray on school property during school events, but the prayer must be initiated by the students; otherwise it violates the law.

"A representative of the school district cannot constitutionally initiate prayer, encourage it or lead it," LaDuca told the Home News Tribune of East Brunswick. "Representatives of the school cannot participate in the student-initiated prayer."

During the television interview, aired Tuesday, Borden said what he was doing was not uncommon, and coaches across the state lead similar prayers as part of sporting events.

"I'm not out preaching, I'm not a preacher," said Borden, who has led the football program for 23 years. He has a 116-100-1 career record, and his team won the Central Jersey Group IV championship in 2004.

He is the founder of the Snapple Bowl, a charity all-star football game that has raised more than $150,000 for physically and mentally impaired children.

His resignation has divided the school community, with many students and parents supporting the coach.

On Saturday, a group of more than 50 members of the football team and some of their parents traveled to Borden's home and asked the coach to return.

Nancy Halupka, president of the school's football booster club, said she sympathizes with Borden and said the prayer tradition started long before he arrived at the school.

But school officials, who emphasized that they did not force Borden to resign, said some students felt uncomfortable with the prayer and their concerns should be treated with respect.

Magistro, the district's superintendent, said Borden's resignation won't become official until the school board meets on Oct. 20. She said the former coach can rescind his resignation at any time before the meeting, something Borden said was not likely.

"I believe that I made the right decision," said Borden, a Catholic. "I believe I made a decision based on principle. I believe that's who I am."

Borden could not immediately be reached for comment by The Associated Press Tuesday evening. There is no telephone listing in his name.
    Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
    kep is always 100% serious. He doesn't joke and doesn't like people who do.

All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

i fully support this coach in his principle...

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

I know at our school no school employee can lead a prayer so for band the drummajors lead us and football team i am not sure who starts it but im sure its a captain.

~Not keeping her opinion to herself since Oct. 2002~

Fish's mom

I agree with the coach 100 percent. We need all the help we can get . May God Bless him and his team. Put God back in our schools, games, courts, etc...............................

Originally posted by Fish's mom
    I agree with the coach 100 percent. We need all the help we can get . May God Bless him and his team. Put God back in our schools, games, courts, etc...............................
    and where were YOU on friday?

This is the kind of stuff that just makes me mad. I know we have a constitution, and it's great. But I think over the past few years, my generation is suffering from the decisions of our parents' generation. I'm not pointing fingers by any means, it's just that all decisions have concequences. We talked a few weeks ago at Church that our parents' generation wanted God to leave them alone. Now, we are reaping the effects of those choices. It is instances like this that have resulted from those choices. I think that sometimes people forget that this nation was founded under FAITH IN GOD, that's why the pilgrims came here to begin with; religious oppression. We are ONE NATION UNDER GOD. Just my opinion.

P.s. I am not the most devout christian in the world and I do respect the rights of other people in cases such as this. Maybe I'm just contradicting myself. I don't know. . .
    Last edited by RMAC; 10-11-2005 at 11:23 PM.

Originally posted by RMAC
    This is the kind of stuff that just makes me mad. I know we have a constitution, and it's great. But I think over the past few years, my generation is suffering from the decisions of our parents' generation. I'm not pointing fingers by any means, it's just that all decisions have concequences. We talked a few weeks ago at Church that our parents' generation wanted God to leave them alone. Now, we are reaping the effects of those choices. It is instances like this that have resulted from those choices. I think that sometimes people forget that this nation was founded under FAITH IN GOD, that's why the pilgrims came here to begin with; religious oppression. We are ONE NATION UNDER GOD. Just my opinion.

P.s. I am not the most devout christian in the world and I do respect the rights of other people in cases such as this. Maybe I'm just contradicting myself. I don't know. . .
    Not to nitpick, but the "pilgrims" as you call them were Calvinists who fled England and the Anglican Church so that they wouldn't be forced to worship the Christian god. It wasn't until later than the people who would become Protestants made their way to the U.S.A.

And "Under God" was just a way of saying "shoo" to commies during the 50s.

As for the Coach, its noble what he's done in taking a stand for what he believes. However, if he forced all players to take part in the prayer, then I feel he was in the wrong.
    Last edited by Blastoderm55; 10-11-2005 at 11:28 PM.

Fish's mom

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
    and where were YOU on friday?
    Praying in the Ingleside Stands, some prayers aren't answered.
    If this is in reference to not seeing Panther Fan at half, those meanies wouldn't let me over to Aransas side during half time even though I parked over there.

My bad. . . maybe that's why I got like a 75 on my history test last week. . . DOH!

Fish's mom

Originally posted by RMAC

Ditto

Where does it say there is a "seperation between church and state" in the constitution?

slpybear

Bulls, Bevo, 'Boys, & BOSOX

Originally posted by Fish's mom
    Praying in the Ingleside Stands, some prayers aren't answered.
    If this is in reference to not seeing Panther Fan at half, those meanies wouldn't let me over to Aransas side during half time even though I parked over there.
    those bastages... (can i say that)

Fish's mom

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
    those bastages... (can i say that)
    LOL
    Going over there during our week off. But can't say I'll wear they're colors HAHA

Our coaches pray with our players(after game, in the past was before) and it's their choice if they join or not(players and coaches) And is usually lead by the players. They realize that there is someone more powerful then us, not matter what way they choose to believe in. I personally like the moment of silence before the game starts that most schools do.

Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
    Where does it say there is a "seperation between church and state" in the constitution?

That part called the first amendment.

Originally posted by Blastoderm55
    That part called the first amendment.
    No where in the constiution or any other government documents does it say anything about sepration of church and state. That saying was actually in a letter Thomas Jefferson wrote to a church orginzation when he was assuring them that the government would not interfere with their affairs.

this is what the first amendment says

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof."

Last edited by Txbroadcaster; 10-11-2005 at 11:54 PM.
    Sideline To Sideline Show Each Week at https://lonestargridiron.com/categor...-to-sideline//