Page 7 of 78 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    All-District

Please back up your corrections.
    my records indicate the following - if you have documentation to correct please include

In the past 53 years there have been 7 seasons that the two rivals have not played, 1972,1973,1974,1975, 1991, 2000 & 2001.

Information for the results of the 1969 season could not be found

while Bubba could have made a mistake - especially dealing with the dark days of Sweetwater football, that being the decade of the 70's
    I am confident in the rest of the information posted.

Starter

Bellville vs. Sealy has to be up there.

Starter

How sweet it is!!!!WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    Leon is good...leon is a ........you know the rest!

Bridgeport vs. Decatur... The Battle of Big Sandy. I will have to go back and dig up my records, but I believe it is 87 or 88 meetings.
    slpybear

Bulls, Bevo, 'Boys, & BOSOX

jmcgee

Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
    Please back up your corrections.
    my records indicate the following - if you have documentation to correct please include

In the past 53 years there have been 7 seasons that the two rivals have not played, 1972,1973,1974,1975, 1991, 2000 & 2001.

Information for the results of the 1969 season could not be found

while Bubba could have made a mistake - especially dealing with the dark days of Sweetwater football, that being the decade of the 70's
    I am confident in the rest of the information posted.
    Buba u might be right i dont know but this is what i got. we all know Ron Howell can make mistakes.

By Ron Howell/The Reporter Sports Editor
    It's one of the state's older rivalries, dating back to 1925 with 56 previous games. But when Sweetwater and Snyder butt heads this Friday at 7:30 p.m. in Big Spring, it will mark only the second time the teams have met in the playoffs.

And until now, the only time the Mustangs and Tigers played in December was on a bas-ketball court.

This is also the first time that the teams have ever met in the quarterfinals, and it's the first time that each came into the matchup with 11 victories al-ready under their belts.

Sweetwater holds a 34-21-1 edge in the all-time series and has already beaten Snyder once this season, 35-25, back on Oct. 15 in a District 4-3A matchup. The Tigers have lost two in a row to the Mustangs since their last victory, a 26-20 double overtime shootout two years ago at Snyder.

Incidentally, this is only the second time Sweetwater and Snyder have played football against each other twice in the same season. The other time came in 1982, when the teams -- due to the closing of Odessa's Ector High School which left a hole in their schedules -- agreed to play two games with only the second one counting as a district contest.

Many of you reading this column no doubt will remember the only other time Sweetwater and Snyder met in the playoffs in 1990. That area-round game was played at Mustang Bowl and attracted a huge crowd that was one of the largest in the stadium's 65-year history.

Realignment prior to the '90 season had placed Sweetwater and Snyder in separate districts for the first time in 17 years, but the rivalry was extended due to the first-ever football playoff between the two schools.

Sweetwater not only had the homefield advantage in 1990, but also a seemingly-huge psy-chological edge over the Tigers. The Mustangs had won the pre-vous 11 matchups, and most by big margins.

But the toughest loss for Snyder had come in the previous season, when Sweetwater pulled out a miraculous last-second 18-13 win by intercepting a pass and scoring a touchdown on the last play.

However, the Tigers got sweet revenge on their tormentors in 1990. Sweetwater took a 3-0 lead in the early going, but failed to score again as Snyder, taking advantage of several critical turnovers, rallied for a 17-3 victory despite not making a first down in the second half.

Throughout the rivalry, one team or the other has run off several wins in a row. Sweetwa-ter lost seven straight to Snyder during the 1970s before winning the next 11. That was fol-lowed by three straight Snyder wins, but Sweetwater then won four straight before losing three consecutive games in 1998, '99 and 2001.

For some reason, the rivalry was shut down for 15 years af-ter the 1937 season. But since it resumed in 1952, the Mustangs and Tigers have faced each other on the field every year with the exception of 1972, 1973, 1991, 2000 and 2001.

Copyright © 2005 Sweetwater Reporter

i added 1 to the total times played cause this article came out before the playoff game and added one win to the tigers.

CanyonEagles97

Canyon vs Perryton

Starter

stats never lie

Starter

Who are some rivals in central texas?

Starter

Originally posted by LeonJr
    Who are some rivals in central texas?
    I guess there are none. Most be boring football there!

IHStangFan

Originally posted by LeonJr
    I guess there are none. Most be boring football there!
    LOL.....Leon, when you say "Centeral Texas".....do you mean like Austin? Kerrville? Killeen?

Starter

No, Waco, Temple, and Belton area

Starter

I know where I'm NOT going to watch football

Starter

Who is Marlin's rival?

IHStangFan

hmmmm.....yeah, i really dont know much about that area.....Marlin isnt TOO far from Palestine if i'm not mistaken. and then you have Gilmer and whatnot just another hour and a half down the road.

Starter

Originally posted by IHStangFan
    hmmmm.....yeah, i really dont know much about that area.....Marlin isnt TOO far from Palestine if i'm not mistaken. and then you have Gilmer and whatnot just another hour and a half down the road.
    hummmm...I wish I knew what was going on down in the heart of TEXAS