All-American District303aPastPlayer's Avatar

Default A&M-CC Player Dies In Car Wreck

Isles' Muriel dies in wreck

A&M-CC guard, 19, mourned by family, coaches

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
    August 8, 2005

Jeff Muriel, a point guard on the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's basketball team, was killed early Sunday morning when a car he was riding in was struck head-on by a pickup truck traveling the wrong way on a loop in Fort Worth.

In addition to Muriel, four other people were killed in the accident - three others in the same car as Muriel, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The Star-Telegram also reported that police believe the driver of the pickup was intoxicated.

In addition to 19-year-old Muriel, at least two of the car's passengers were 19 or younger.

Muriel's mother, Sonya Bell, said she last saw her son Saturday morning. He came home after getting off from his summer job working customer care at the DFW Airport and saw his sister for a while. After that, Muriel went out with friends.

According to the Star-Telegram, the police said Muriel was driving a 1991 Chevrolet Caprice. The paper also reported that he was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.

Bell said the accident likely took place around 2 a.m. At 3 a.m., she received a phone call.

"He made a friend everywhere he went," Bell said. "He made himself welcome, and made friends into family members. In his home life, he was very loving, very close to his family."

In 2003, Muriel led Fort Worth Dunbar High to the Class 4A state title. He signed a scholarship with A&M-Corpus Christi and played in 18 games last season. He averaged 1.1 points, 0.9 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game.

"It meant everything for both of us. It was his dream to play Division I college basketball," Bell said. "It was his dream come true. He was living his dream."

Muriel was a promising player for the Islanders, who valued his quickness and cerebral play at the point. While he didn't get much time as a freshman, he was being groomed for a much bigger role with the team.

"He had an illustrious career at Dunbar," said A&M-Corpus Christi coach Ronnie Arrow. "I thought his freshman year went great. He did well in his classes, too.

"As a parent, this is your worst nightmare," Arrow added. "It's like losing a family member. He was a fun kid to be around, a great kid who everyone loved. To lose him and three other young people because some person was driving drunk "

At Dunbar, more members of Muriel's extended family mourned his death. High school coach Robert Hughes last saw Muriel before the coach left on vacation, around June 30. He remembered a player who was always in the gym honing his game.

Wherever Hughes went Sunday, he was reminded of Muriel, who often dropped in on his old coach.

"It's just so terrible. And you can't do anything about it," Hughes said. "I attended church this morning, and then I tried to go to school. I only made it five minutes there before I had to leave. I tried to pay my respects to his family, but I couldn't drive on that off-ramp. I've got to do it, but it's just so tough to think about losing him."

Contact Lee Goddard at 886-3613 or HYPERLINK mailto:goddardl@caller.com goddardl@caller.com

"...I never wanna see you cry... and I never wanna tell her lies..."

AggieJohn

i heard about that last nigh

Default Re: A&M-CC Player Dies In Car Wreck

Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer

Isles' Muriel dies in wreck

A&M-CC guard, 19, mourned by family, coaches

By Lee Goddard Caller-Times
    August 8, 2005

Jeff Muriel, a point guard on the Texas A&M-Corpus Christi men's basketball team, was killed early Sunday morning when a car he was riding in was struck head-on by a pickup truck traveling the wrong way on a loop in Fort Worth.

In addition to Muriel, four other people were killed in the accident - three others in the same car as Muriel, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. The Star-Telegram also reported that police believe the driver of the pickup was intoxicated.

In addition to 19-year-old Muriel, at least two of the car's passengers were 19 or younger.

Muriel's mother, Sonya Bell, said she last saw her son Saturday morning. He came home after getting off from his summer job working customer care at the DFW Airport and saw his sister for a while. After that, Muriel went out with friends.

According to the Star-Telegram, the police said Muriel was driving a 1991 Chevrolet Caprice. The paper also reported that he was pronounced dead at the scene of the accident.

Bell said the accident likely took place around 2 a.m. At 3 a.m., she received a phone call.

"He made a friend everywhere he went," Bell said. "He made himself welcome, and made friends into family members. In his home life, he was very loving, very close to his family."

In 2003, Muriel led Fort Worth Dunbar High to the Class 4A state title. He signed a scholarship with A&M-Corpus Christi and played in 18 games last season. He averaged 1.1 points, 0.9 rebounds and 0.9 assists per game.

"It meant everything for both of us. It was his dream to play Division I college basketball," Bell said. "It was his dream come true. He was living his dream."

Muriel was a promising player for the Islanders, who valued his quickness and cerebral play at the point. While he didn't get much time as a freshman, he was being groomed for a much bigger role with the team.

"He had an illustrious career at Dunbar," said A&M-Corpus Christi coach Ronnie Arrow. "I thought his freshman year went great. He did well in his classes, too.

"As a parent, this is your worst nightmare," Arrow added. "It's like losing a family member. He was a fun kid to be around, a great kid who everyone loved. To lose him and three other young people because some person was driving drunk "

At Dunbar, more members of Muriel's extended family mourned his death. High school coach Robert Hughes last saw Muriel before the coach left on vacation, around June 30. He remembered a player who was always in the gym honing his game.

Wherever Hughes went Sunday, he was reminded of Muriel, who often dropped in on his old coach.

"It's just so terrible. And you can't do anything about it," Hughes said. "I attended church this morning, and then I tried to go to school. I only made it five minutes there before I had to leave. I tried to pay my respects to his family, but I couldn't drive on that off-ramp. I've got to do it, but it's just so tough to think about losing him."

Contact Lee Goddard at 886-3613 or HYPERLINK mailto:goddardl@caller.com goddardl@caller.com
    My niece is taking his death very hard. They were friends at A & M-CC
    "GO MEAN GREEN"
    When we're bad, we're good. When we're good, we're BAD !
    767-380-38

Bandera YaYa

Default Re: Re: A&M-CC Player Dies In Car Wreck

Originally posted by Old Green
    My niece is taking his death very hard. They were friends at A & M-CC
    I am so sorry your niece has to go thru this....it was a tragic, horrible thing to happen....God Bless his loved ones and his friends.....

God Bless his loved ones and his friends

My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.

All-American

Originally posted by CheerMom
    My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
    Mine too CheerMom. A terrible tragedy.

Thank you PPHSfan and Keith7!

gobblerfan02

My sis and I send our condolences, she attended CC!